Please advise on bettering my business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tamarisdavina

TamarisDavina
Reaction score
Hi guys.
Been hairdressing 11 years, I’m also a makeup artist and now qualified in hair extensions. I’ve always been employed working for someone in a salon, these past two years I have been self employed, which my previous employer really screwed me over with my clientele and also my salary, because of this I’ve had to start right from the bottom again and it’s taking a very very long time to survive.
I rent a chair in a salon, but some weeks I only just scrape by affording all my rent and bills and my products. Still waiting on clientele walk in.
I’ve had to get a second job in the evening to help support myself but that’s starting to affect my health.
I’ve advertised my business on Facebook and Instagram, I have business cards, my clients recommend me but it still isn’t helping.
I feel like giving up as it’s causing me Great Depression but it’s what I love doing.
Any help or advice would be really appreciate. Thankyou.

Hi don’t be hard on yourself as you clearly love what you do and are probably very good at it ;) I don’t think it helps when we have certain therapists and salons advertising a deal on groupon etc ..... I think it takes business away from people like us who don’t advertise this way.
What about refer a friend cards and offer a certain discount such as 10% / 15% off? Post photos on Facebook of your work.
I am a beauty therapist and it’s a tough industry, I personally think it’s over saturated as so many people do our trade now and lots of clients are after a deal nowadays instead of wanting to go to a salon that uses high end products / excellent service etc .....

Hi don’t be hard on yourself as you clearly love what you do and are probably very good at it ;) I don’t think it helps when we have certain therapists and salons advertising a deal on groupon etc ..... I think it takes business away from people like us who don’t advertise this way.
What about refer a friend cards and offer a certain discount such as 10% / 15% off? Post photos on Facebook of your work.
I am a beauty therapist and it’s a tough industry, I personally think it’s over saturated as so many people do our trade now and lots of clients are after a deal nowadays instead of wanting to go to a salon that uses high end products / excellent service etc .....

Thankyou for your reply... it’s very distressing, like I explained I have advertised all over Facebook and Instagram still I get nothing. My prices have been lowered to help a little but that affects me greatly financially for rent bills etc. That’s why I’ve had to get a second job but I cannot continue with that as it’s affecting my health. I’m at a loose end and it’s making me really ill, upset, and depressed worrying about it all the time. I don’t know what to do :(

Your health comes first and it’s so tough working self employed. Can you speak to the salon owner who you rent the chair from and explain the situation, that due to lack of clients and having to still pay x amount for the chair, it may be that you have to give it up. Ask for a reduction in the price of your chair, or instead of paying a set fee, give a percentage of your income to the salon owner instead?
I am sure some other therapists on here could give you some good ideas too ;)

Sending hugs. It can be difficult to turn things around when you're in the situation that you've found yourself in. If you've been doing this for 2 years you're in the wrong place psychologically or literally - as in not in a good location.

Standing in a salon, hoping for walk-Ins and feeling stressed and anxious about business is absolute death to your chances of getting any! Get yourself on a more secure financial footing. If you pay a chair rent every day, reduce your days, You don't have enough work so do what any boss would do - cut your hours until you're nearly fully booked

I always recommend having another regular income to give you peace of mind. You need to go through your daily takings and see which three days are your best days. These are the days that you need to be in bright and early. I'd advise you to look for other work for the other 2 days a week. Your 2nd job needs to support you financially to take the pressure off but you should also look at it as a marketing and promotion opportunity to connect personally with new clients. Make sure your hair looks amazing and you'll be a walking advert for your work.

Take the time to review your Facebook postings. This is your shop window. You should be posting photos and boomerangs of your work with comments like "amazing ombré" or "so enjoyed this blunt cut pixie style".

Stop offering deals and discounts on Facebook, don't mention prices or availability for a bit, just focus on building an amazing scroll down of pics. You photos need to be glamorous so don't show faces or clothes, you want the back of a headshot wearing a cape for colour work and look on Pinterest for guides to taking flattering pics. No-one wants to see badly posed unflattering photos. All clients like seeing photos of themselves, if the comment and pic is complimentary. Encourage them to tag themselves.

If you've been discounting for a while put your prices up. No-one recommends their hairdresser because they are cheaper than everyone else. Instead focus on value. If you need to charge say £45 make sure it's good value, include a nice cup of coffee and some biscuits. Make tea in a pot. Serve on a teeny tray. Do an awesome head massage and put some love into it. Talk about what you are doing and what is great about the technique. Give your client tips on how to style their hair at home. Say nice things about the clients hair. Show an interest in them

Be very positive. Stop talking about why you went self-employed, instead talk about having 9 years salon experience before deciding to go self-employed 2 years ago. Say how much you love your work and how much you prefer being your own boss. Make sure every client knows you are 1) totally happy and fulfilled in your work 2) a highly experienced, independent hairdresser 3) multi-skilled also offering make-up 4) looking forward to seeing them return.

It can be easy to chat to clients about things that we are thinking about. Make sure that you don't share anything negative in your personal or professional life. Stay upbeat, cheerful and totally focused on giving your client the best hour of their week.

Sending hugs. It can be difficult to turn things around when you're in the situation that you've found yourself in. If you've been doing this for 2 years you're in the wrong place psychologically or literally - as in not in a good location.

Standing in a salon, hoping for walk-Ins and feeling stressed and anxious about business is absolute death to your chances of getting any! Get yourself on a more secure financial footing. If you pay a chair rent every day, reduce your days, You don't have enough work so do what any boss would do - cut your hours until you're nearly fully booked

I always recommend having another regular income to give you peace of mind. You need to go through your daily takings and see which three days are your best days. These are the days that you need to be in bright and early. I'd advise you to look for other work for the other 2 days a week. Your 2nd job needs to support you financially to take the pressure off but you should also look at it as a marketing and promotion opportunity to connect personally with new clients. Make sure your hair looks amazing and you'll be a walking advert for your work.

Take the time to review your Facebook postings. This is your shop window. You should be posting photos and boomerangs of your work with comments like "amazing ombré" or "so enjoyed this blunt cut pixie style".

Stop offering deals and discounts on Facebook, don't mention prices or availability for a bit, just focus on building an amazing scroll down of pics. You photos need to be glamorous so don't show faces or clothes, you want the back of a headshot wearing a cape for colour work and look on Pinterest for guides to taking flattering pics. No-one wants to see badly posed unflattering photos. All clients like seeing photos of themselves, if the comment and pic is complimentary. Encourage them to tag themselves.

If you've been discounting for a while put your prices up. No-one recommends their hairdresser because they are cheaper than everyone else. Instead focus on value. If you need to charge say £45 make sure it's good value, include a nice cup of coffee and some biscuits. Make tea in a pot. Serve on a teeny tray. Do an awesome head massage and put some love into it. Talk about what you are doing and what is great about the technique. Give your client tips on how to style their hair at home. Say nice things about the clients hair. Show an interest in them

Be very positive. Stop talking about why you went self-employed, instead talk about having 9 years salon experience before deciding to go self-employed 2 years ago. Say how much you love your work and how much you prefer being your own boss. Make sure every client knows you are 1) totally happy and fulfilled in your work 2) a highly experienced, independent hairdresser 3) multi-skilled also offering make-up 4) looking forward to seeing them return.

It can be easy to chat to clients about things that we are thinking about. Make sure that you don't share anything negative in your personal or professional life. Stay upbeat, cheerful and totally focused on giving your client the best hour of their week.

I love this reply, I didn't feel just hitting the 'Like' button was enough to show how fab it is

Latest posts

Back