Please can someone help me with my static hair?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sas21

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit of geeky wisdom from you! lol

I dyed my hair jet black the other day and ever since, I have had the worst static, ever.

I can't even brush my hair as I looks like someone has been rubbing a balloon on my head. lol

It crackles and I keep getting shocks from everything. I even had one when I put my hand under running water from the bathroom tap earlier (which scared me a bit)! :eek:

I have not changes a single thing in my routine ie shampoo, hairbrush, conditioner etc so the only thing I can put it down to is the hair colour. :rolleyes:

I dry it with a hairdryer after I wash it and then straighten. I also had it cut a lot shorter last week too but it can't be that because, like I say, it has literally been since the moment I coloured it.

Please, please can someone suggest something to counteract or stop it or something?

It is driving me craaaaaaaaaaaaaazy! :cry:

Probably no help at all but i have noticed my hair goes static when i use my GHD`s

Probably no help at all but i have noticed my hair goes static when i use my GHD`s

I have heard others say that too, it can't be that though as I always use them and never ever have this problem.

Literally one swipe with the hair brush and I get balloon-on-head-syndrome! lol

Thanks for the advice though, it's going to have to be proccess if elimination me thinks :green:.

I think I have just about eliminated averything but the hair colour now though. Lol:rolleyes:

Hi , someone on here said taking a fabric conditioning sheet lightly over the hair can help ,
Static is usually means there is no moisture left in the hair ,
which means it can be over dried or over straightened just a little too much,

It can also happen with temperature change eg ; if you come in from the cold air into a warm house ,

Sometimes build up from certain products can cause it too eg ; pantene
maybe you could try a clarifying shampoo and go easy on the straighteners :hug: x

Hi , someone on here said taking a fabric conditioning sheet lightly over the hair can help ,
Static is usually means there is no moisture left in the hair ,
which means it can be over dried or over straightened just a little too much,

It can also happen with temperature change eg ; if you come in from the cold air into a warm house ,

Sometimes build up from certain products can cause it too eg ; pantene
maybe you could try a clarifying shampoo and go easy on the straighteners :hug: x

Hiya,

Now you mention it, I have heard before about tumble dryer sheets before, if that is the same thing?

Could possibly be dry too, although it is in much better condition now than it was before I had it all cut off so automatically assumed it wouldn't be dry but could be! lol

I will go out and try the tumble dryer sheets tomorrow and see how I get on. :green:

Thanks loads for the info and help :hug:

I have never had this problem before I dyed it! lol

Out of interest, do you think that the dye could have caused it, thinking about it though, if dryness can cause it then I suppose dying it dries it out too.... kind of answered my own question there didn't I! lol :smack:

Do you use styling products ,sprays, mousse , smoothing creams. They weigh the static down.

Do you use styling products ,sprays, mousse , smoothing creams. They weigh the static down.

Hiya

I only use a heat protector spray for when I use the hairdryer and straighteners.

On very rare occassions I do use a bit of hairspray, but that is once in a blue moon.

My hair is very fine so I don't use many products on it as it makes it too "gunky" iykwim.

x

Out of interest, do you think that the dye could have caused it, thinking about it though, if dryness can cause it then I suppose dying it dries it out too.... kind of answered my own question there didn't I! lol :smack: __________________

Hi , No I don't think it was the colour that caused the static .
but some after colour conditioners can cause it ,

eg
Hair is naturally hygroscopic (retains moisture from the atmosphere )
and some conditioners can heavily coat the hair with silicones,

therefore when you force out all the natural moisture with heated appliances ,
you are sort of heat sealing the natural moisture out your hair with the Ghds which causes the static,

so until the silicones are washed off again,
after about eight shampoos it can remain static and unmanageable.

A good clarifying shampoo from Salonlines may help.

Sorry, I didn't mean that your actual hairs condition was in a dry fragile state )

What I meant by being over dry is;
all the natural moisture has been driven out by a hairdryer or the Ghds ,

When it is over dried or over straightened (with heated appliances )
no natural moisture is being left inside the hair and therefore it produces static.

It is the same if you take your clothes out of the tumble drier when they are all hot and over dried they are all crackly and static,
but if you take them out when it is just about dried there will be no static .

So when you dry your hair next time , try not to over dry it or over straighten it.

The more you take the straighteners over it the more prone it will be to static.

Also at this time of year you may notice that if you venture outside in the cold atmosphere with newly washed dried hair,
as soon as you come back into the warmth it can go bananas with static .
but this is all to do with change in temperature .

PS. if you are doing your colour yourself , you are being very naughty, as you are taking the risk of damaging your hair.

It would be far better to go to a professional . x

Hope this made sense :hug: x

Last edited:
I would suggest using a good leave in conditioner spray. They are light and great for anyone to use especially anyone with chemical services(color, bleach, perm, ect. ) on there hair.
Chem. Serv. = Loss of moisture

QUOTE]
PS. if you are doing your colour yourself , you are being very naughty, as you are taking the risk of damaging your hair.[[/QUOTE]

Very true!

Don't know if this is any help to you, but I've found a light spray of hairspray on my brush helps to control static.
xx:hug:xx

i agree with del i find when i hav done clients hair & they r full of static, i spray some light hold hairspray on a paddle brush & brush through hair dont over do it though or it defeats the object but spray brush, comb through hair once or twice repeat with hairspray if needs be but i find this helps control it.

hey i have jet black hair and i find using ice shine pantene help it... i also carry around hand cream (*weird i know)) but if you put a tiny amount over hair it works just as well as all those expesive serums you can get... hope this helps...
:lol:

It may be build-up... do you think the product is washed out enough? Is the water running clear when you wash your hair?

Sounds silly, but I would try a cold blast with your hairdryer too...

Thanks you for all your advice :green:

I think I have possibly found out the cause(s).

When I coloured it I used the after care conditioner and as someone mentioned, this can cause a problem... I think it may have.

I haven't used it since and it now seems ok.

When I shower, I always wash my hair first and leave the conditioner in whilst I shower and then wash it out last, since I have gone back to doing this, I have had no more static.

I think it was just a reaction to the colour or conditioner - by reaction I don't mean allergic, I just mean that maybe it was a difference in product and routine.

All seems fine now after washing it loads though :green:

Thanks again all you lovely geeks! :hug:

xx

Latest posts

Back