Please help! Bleach hair dyed black disaster

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannella88

Reaction score
Ok so I am completely new to this forum and I decided to turn to here after the disaster the past 24 hours have been. So, I naturally have long, very dark brown hair. I went ombre for the first time last year during the summer and loved it, but in the fall decided I needed a change and went dark again.

This past May I wanted to go ombre again (and I did) and it was AMAZING! Better than the first time - went to someone new as I moved across an ocean - it was a beautiful gradient of dark brown to medium brown to blonde. I am going on vacation again this Friday and made an appointment yesterday for a touch up (with someone else because my girl was on vacation). So I tell the girl to just retouch the ombre and make it more blonde…and a little lighter (brown) at the top. So basically she made me a SUPER light brown at the roots and blonde from middle of hair shaft, down. It was horrible – I am ethnically Middle Eastern so this color does not look good on me at all. I said no way and asked her to darken it. So she basically made my roots almost to my natural hair and then added black to my blonde ends…when she washed it out the ends were GRAY with a blue hue…I was mortified. I asked her to darken the ends to match the roots, so she did and now my ends are JET BLACK. Much darker than my natural color. I think they turned super black because the ends had been completely bleached and then they absorbed all the black color…vs. the roots of my hair which had been brown so they didn’t turn out so dark.

Now my hair is soooo dry and damaged and it looks horrible – this jet black does not do anything for me or my hair and because it’s so damaged it just sits there and is limp. I am so upset, I started crying at the salon. So I came home did an egg yolk/olive oil protein mask and washed it out. I’ve also been putting in oil like crazy and my hair is soaking it up like no other. I can say however though with the oil my hair is maybe 40% less dry than yesterday. I plan on doing a coconut oil mask today too.

So this morning I also noticed that parts of the top/middle shaft of my hair are like an ashy brown? I have no idea how she missed this or why it turned this color. I am going back on Wednesday to another girl (I moved to Kiev from Washington DC and this salon speaks English and caters to expats) to see if she can salvage it.

I just want the brown ashy parts to blend in with what my hair is now, but I also want to add some color/dimension to the ends. These jet black ends are just horrible :cry: do you guys think it’s okay to rebleach and tell the girl to do a dark-to-medium brown at the ends? I just don’t want to go blonde again. What should I do? I’m so upset. I know it’s probably not the best idea to rebleach my hair at the end but I really can’t deal with this jet black. I need some life to it…even if it’s bleached and dyed medium brown (and becomes more dry) I will prefer it over jet black. Please help :cry:

I'm attaching photos for reference:
1st - the awful blonde
2nd - the ash brown that now shows up randomly
3rd - how my hair was / what i want again
4th - same as #

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 612
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 632
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    134 KB · Views: 623
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 593
I would go back and complain and say you don't want the same girl to do it x

Oh honey your hair has had a real battering! Unfortunately due to the damage, before any more colouring you're probably going to need to have a good cut! Just go to someone else lol :(

Thank you both for your replies...I really appreciate it, especially during this time (I know maybe I am overreacting but this has been really traumitizing for me) I am definitely going to be complaining on Wednesday...the receptionst/girl who was translating even said herself "oh my gosh, thank you for not throwing a fit"...the thing is though, I am living in Kiev, Ukraine so not really sure what their standards of customer service are as compared to US or UK but this place caters to expats so hopefully they will understand.

I called my hair stylist back home and he basically said I should have them lift the color and do a medium/dark brown (level 5 or 6 is what I think he said). No more highligts or ombre, just one color. Which I am sad to not have ombre again but I am more concerned about having (somewhat) healthy hair at this point. So do you think it would be a good idea to tell them just cut two (or more) inches off the end (take off the completely lifeless, jet black hair) and then just try to to a dark brown all over? Do you think this will work? I'm just so scared of these brown patches at the top...no idea where they came from and they are so ashy! Will my hair turn this color as I continue to wash it over time?

I think you need to stop telling the stylist what to do, they are professional and spent a lot of time in school. Look at color samples and explain the color you want, and then ask them their opinion as to your hair condition if it is do able or not. The biggest mistakes happen when professionals let guests dictate the service. I am sorry for your hair troubles, I hope it all works out. 😀

I think you need to stop telling the stylist what to do, they are professional and spent a lot of time in school. Look at color samples and explain the color you want, and then ask them their opinion as to your hair condition if it is do able or not. The biggest mistakes happen when professionals let guests dictate the service. I am sorry for your hair troubles, I hope it all works out. 😀

A far as I can see (unless I missed it ) the OP hadn't told anyone how to do her hair, she asked for the Ombre to be touched up and they trashed it :-(

OP, how long is your stylist on holiday for? Is there anyone else in tne salon (other than who did this) that can rectify it for you?

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

I actually - of all those photo's - prefer the one you hate where you say it's too light. =/ I think it looks the most flattering of them all so it's a real shame you didn't like the results.

I think you suffered from miscommunication in the consultation. You got exactly what you asked for - more blonde at the ends and a lighter brown at the top. The word RETOUCH in this industry is commonly used to refer to your root area. So it sounds like the stylist has actually given you exactly what you asked for - but unfortunately not what you MEANT to ask for - which should've been cleared up by them doing an effective consultation.

Your hair needs lots of nourishment now (which you are doing with the masks - keep up the good work) and some TLC. A good trim will help a bit.

Your options at the minute are:

X Get the ashier bits dyed to match the 'black' and put up with having very dark hair for a few weeks.
X Follow your old stylists advice and get your whole head lightened up a bit & stay that way.
X Follow your old stylists advice, and then in a few weeks get a very subtle ombre effect put back in.

Sorry for your troubles!

I'm not a hair dresser but have to agree with the above post

I think the first pic looks lovely, suits your skin tone and really highlights your beautiful face

Ok so I'm not into hair but for me ombré always looks like roots have grown and out you couldn't afford to get touched up

But you are the one that has to be completely happy / but just know I still think it looks lovely x

I actually - of all those photo's - prefer the one you hate where you say it's too light. =/ I think it looks the most flattering of them all so it's a real shame you didn't like the results.

I think you suffered from miscommunication in the consultation. You got exactly what you asked for - more blonde at the ends and a lighter brown at the top. The word RETOUCH in this industry is commonly used to refer to your root area. So it sounds like the stylist has actually given you exactly what you asked for - but unfortunately not what you MEANT to ask for - which should've been cleared up by them doing an effective consultation.

Your hair needs lots of nourishment now (which you are doing with the masks - keep up the good work) and some TLC. A good trim will help a bit.

Your options at the minute are:

X Get the ashier bits dyed to match the 'black' and put up with having very dark hair for a few weeks.
X Follow your old stylists advice and get your whole head lightened up a bit & stay that way.
X Follow your old stylists advice, and then in a few weeks get a very subtle ombre effect put back in.

Sorry for your troubles!

I prefer the first photo as well

Latest posts

Back