Please help-don't want to lose my hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TattooGurl

Reaction score
First off let me start by saying I am not a hair stylist. I do tho know my hair better then anyone else and even I have no idea what is going on. I've been doing my own hair colouring, cutting and styling since I was 12 years old and I'm 36 now. I grew up in a small town where all there was, was a 65 year old male barber if I wanted highlights I had to do them myself.

I need you all to know I do know how to take care of my hair properly I did move to the city and went to school for makeup and one of my close friends did the hair program she taught me everything I need to know to properly care for my hair.

Now my problem is my hair all around my hair line was breaking off at three inch's long. Now it's starting to move up the head, I know what your all thinking I'm wearing my ponytails too tight. I don't wear ponytails having my hair pulled tight makes my head itch like crazy and give me a headache.

Second guess would be bleaching would cause breakage and I wont lie I have bleached recently but I was very careful to only do the one inch of roots. I have been bleaching my hair for decades and I have bleached it in to soup before I watched my hair fall off in stringy, stretchy, juicy chunks more then once this is different it's been breaking slowly over the past 3 months.

I'm really scared I have had short hair for the past 10 years and finally I fought the long hard battle of growing it out it's now at it maximum lenght which is not all the long but it's all I have and I don't want to lose more. I'm very picky but the products I use, No hot tools no flat irons or curling irons I blow dry very rarely I almost never use hairspray or mouse or other styling products. I use sulphate free shampoo, moroccan oil, I deep condition regularly and comb through I try to not use anything very heavy in my hair and I also do a raw egg white, olive oil mask on my hair every month it really helps add moisture, softness and shine. I even use a special detangeling brush and I always brush from ends to roots

The past three months I've been hyper vigilant about not doing anything to cause more breakage I've seen three different hair dressers for my regular trim and none of them can figure it it they just think I'm lying about not wearing tight ponytails. When I do wear my hair up it's in a messy bun or one of those large mouth toothed clips. I do have some medical issues hypothyroidism and a over abundance oi insulin but wouldn't that kinda of medical issue hair loss be from the root and more uniform?

Please can someone help this is the 4th forum I've posted on in 3 months and no one can seem to help.

Could you go to a hairdresser? They will be able to assess the damage and advise you

Sorry to hear this. Can you see a medical professional? To see if there is any chance of it being related to your condition or medication you're taking? Medicines and hormones play havoc with hair. x

You need to see a pro, maybe ask your doc for a referral to a trichologist? Hyperthyroidism can indeed cause the breakage you're describing, but on a forum, there's no way anyone can make a diagnosis, and you appear to know all there is to know about your own hair, so I think it's one for the docs.

I think U should seek medical advice, hope you can sort the problem x

I saw three different hair dressers already no one of them can figure it out I even had all the hair dressers in the one salon pawing at my hair checking the elasticity and how sharp the snip sound was when cut sitting around all talking about it. even seeing it they didn't know
I've already talked to my GP, my dermatologist and my endocrinologist. We know for a fact that it has nothing to do with my hormones or my meds all three doctors agree that it if it was my damaged endocrine system the hair would fall out at the root not half was down the hair shaft and would thin from the crown out not the the hairline in. My GP was my first visit, he told me to see my endocrinologist he ran a million test even blood work skin samples everything he could think of he even biopsied my liver to test for liver failure which can cause hair loss. The dermatologist too skin samples from my scalp and checked for other autoimmune condition's since I have since I already have one all her tests came back negative. I live in Canada doctors and testing are free hair dressers cost money it's been three months trust me this is my very last resort.

Maybe try castor or coconut oil. Couls also be genetics

Sent from my SM-N9005 using SalonGeek mobile app

Oh and dont bleach

I need to bleach my natural hair colour is really ugly it's a sickly mousey dirty reddish green blond and I'm very pale skinned with blue eyes so dark hair makes me look dead and as much as I liked it back in my Gothic days I like to looks somewhat alive now. But I only even do the root and since I'm already a natural blond it goes platinum in 10 minutes. And it not genetics everyone in my family has great hair. Well except my mum but shes also had cancer and chemo like 3 times and takes some pretty bad ass meds since so shes got a good reason for losing her hair and again she loses hers from the root. But it started breaking off before the bleaching's started I tried to do a light brownish colour for a few months but everyone kept telling me it was not my colour it made me look like I was flushed or blushing all the time.

I take use a lot of coconut oil and fresh coconut and the milk in most of my food it's supposed to boost your matoblisim and with mine compramised I try to eat as much as I can as for castor oil it's not recommended for people with my medical issues but I'll try anything.

Well dont eat the castor just put it on twice a week :)

Google the Castor Oil 90 day challenge

:)

lay off the heat from dryers and straighteners for several months. could be heat damage as well.

What level of peroxide are you using? You shouldn't really be doing the colour yourself as (even hairdressers) it's really hard to not overlap the colour on yourself. Try to avoid using any heat on your hair (mine gets really dry so I avoid heat and it makes it feel much better) x

Stop bleaching and putting heat anywhere near your hair. If you really want to help your hair put up with your natural colour until you know for definite what's going on.

Just read you don't use heat. Are you on any new medication? If I were you I would stop bleaching your hair, go for a more natural blonde X

yes, I had to re read it again. Sorry, I didn't read the first time that you did not use heat. The print is so small.

I use a 20vol with a on the scalp violet bleach and some times I even just do a bleach wash with 1 part power one part 20 to 30vol and one part shampoo. I always buy my colours at Sally's so it's not the crappy drug store garbage and the dye I use it's always Manic Panic which is 100% safe and there is no overlap with a demi colour like that. It's so non toxic it's safe for dogs. So my hair is red not blond I use the Rock n' Roll Red. My natural colour is very bad you know when you screw up a ash blond colouring and it goes this pukey baby crap green colour that is really really not flattering to anyone especially for someone that works under florescent lights all day and there paycheck depends on how presentable they look. No one is going to buy a $10 000 diamond ring from someone who doesn't look like there at least trying. I could go with maybe a dark purple like a plumish colour to avoid the bleach for a few months but it's been 2 months since I bleached and it's still breaking last night when I posed I noticed that nearly all the hair on the left side of my head was broken off and three days ago it was all there. It looked and felt healthy and strong will pictures help? And no new meds just the same depoprovera, synthroid, metiformen and Tylenol 4s I take everyday and have for years.

I use a 20vol with a on the scalp violet bleach and some times I even just do a bleach wash with 1 part power one part 20 to 30vol and one part shampoo. I always buy my colours at Sally's so it's not the crappy drug store garbage and the dye I use it's always Manic Panic which is 100% safe and there is no overlap with a demi colour like that. It's so non toxic it's safe for dogs. So my hair is red not blond I use the Rock n' Roll Red. My natural colour is very bad you know when you screw up a ash blond colouring and it goes this pukey baby crap green colour that is really really not flattering to anyone especially for someone that works under florescent lights all day and there paycheck depends on how presentable they look. No one is going to buy a $10 000 diamond ring from someone who doesn't look like there at least trying. I could go with maybe a dark purple like a plumish colour to avoid the bleach for a few months but it's been 2 months since I bleached and it's still breaking last night when I posed I noticed that nearly all the hair on the left side of my head was broken off and three days ago it was all there. It looked and felt healthy and strong will pictures help? And no new meds just the same depoprovera, synthroid, metiformen and Tylenol 4s I take everyday and have for years.

Go to a training college and get someone to take you through your options. The student and qualified supervisor will have a good look at your hair and tell you what you can do to help it. It's cheaper than a normal hairdressers and infinitely better for you than trying to use pro products yourself.

I find that this is maybe not as bad as you are making out? Its a bit extreme and maybe the hair is not breaking off as much as you think?

I honestly don't know what you are expecting from our Hair Pros here who will not give a non pro advice on using professional use only products, and who cannot see your hair or get a feel of its condition.
What can they say that all the doctors, and hair stylists who have seen your hair haven't already said?

I haven't thought of the school that a great idea it's about 30 miles from here but next time I'm in the area I'll go in. And the reason I posted is I was hoping that with the sheer volume of online stylists that theirs a chance someone has seen this before because my local stylists haven't but their just 6 people there I have a chance to reach 100's. And lastly it is as bad as I think it is it started with just a little few short whispys at the sideburns area. It started spreading around the ear and back of the head and up to my fringe and it started moving farther up my head it looks like I have a badly crooked grown out mohawk sorry for the crap pics but best I could do on short notice.
043.jpg

042.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back