Please help - eyelash tinting done, forgot to take out contacts

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sasha_85

Reaction score
Hey,

I really hope someone can help me and give advise. I just had my eyelashes tinted for the first time. I'd never had the procedure done before, only ever my eyebrows, but never had any issues or allergic reactions to that.
I realised afterward the tinting procedure that I'd forgotten to take out my contacts... the woman who did the procedure didn't ask beforehand and to be honest I completely didn't even consider it until I could start to feel them getting a bit irritated.
After I left the salon I went to a store next door and looked at myself in the mirror. I then noticed that my contacts had turned a shade of dark blue and I immediately took them out.

I'm home now and even though my eyes don't feel particularly sore (just mildly irritated, but I've rinsed them several times and took off all traces of make-up) but I'm absolutely TERRIFIED I could have done damage to my eyes.

I feel really really stupid for not having properly checked the procedure and how to go about it beforehand, and blame myself for this.

It would be so great to know if anyone has had any experience with this and knows if I have anything to worry about? I'm so worried I could have done damage to my eyes! If anyone has any feedback I'd be very grateful.

Thanks!x

I'm no eye expert......but just thought you could do with a little reassurance, for what it's worth!:)
If the tint did not go into your eye....no problem.
If a little did go in your eye, the fact that you removed the lens soon after the treatment, and rinsed your eye,
I would think you have nothing to worry about.
I tint my own lashes, and from time to time, get tint in my eyes.
Never had any problems.
If tomorrow, your eyes are irritated/sore/swollen, then by all means, pop into your local optician, and have them take a look.
My guess is, you'll be fine.

Don't beat yourself up as it was her responsibility to check. I would think your eyes would be bloodshot and still stinging if you had done any damage. I would think the solution is more likely to have stained the outside of the contact lenses and you took them out straight away. Have you rinsed your eyes with contact lens solution (providing that it says it's ok to do so on the bottle)? You can also get an eye bath form the chemist. There may be a late night one open near you. If your eyes continue to look or feel irritated and you are worried then you shouldn't hesitate to go to A&E or at least call the NHS helpline to ask their advice however if they feel fine and your vision is fine it is unlikely that you have done any damage. The therapist should have got you to fill out a consultation form asking about contact lenses and I'm surprised if she didn't see the change in colour of them afterwards. Hope you feel better.

I think you will be ok and your eyes should not have been damaged. The main reason you should take your lenses out is I case you get tint in your eye and your therapist has to flush your eyes out with water. If you are at all worried make an appointment to see you optician. Hopefully others will agree with me.

Thank you SO much for your quick responses, it's really calming me down. If anything changes tomorrow I'll see an optician, and will request a check up with my regular optician on Monday just in case. This really taught me to be more careful and read up about such procedures beforehand.

Really appreciate the feedback, thanks!:)

Hi love, also wanted to say that I regularly tint my own eyes at home, and leave my contacts in, even though on a client I would check and tell them to remove them first. But it's always fine on myself!! The only thing I would suggest, is that if they are monthly lenses, then you might want to throw them away if your eyes had tint in them, because the tint could have penetrated the lens even if you can't see it, which could irritate your eyes the next time you wear your lens. So I would throw those away and wear a new pair tomorrow. But I've tinted my lashes loads of times th my lens in and have always been fine. But like the other guys have said, if you feel any itching or swelling or unusual redness then by all means pop along to your local Minor Injuries or A&E. But my guess is that you will be fine love x

Hi love, also wanted to say that I regularly tint my own eyes at home, and leave my contacts in, even though on a client I would check and tell them to remove them first. But it's always fine on myself!! The only thing I would suggest, is that if they are monthly lenses, then you might want to throw them away if your eyes had tint in them, because the tint could have penetrated the lens even if you can't see it, which could irritate your eyes the next time you wear your lens. So I would throw those away and wear a new pair tomorrow. But I've tinted my lashes loads of times th my lens in and have always been fine. But like the other guys have said, if you feel any itching or swelling or unusual redness then by all means pop along to your local Minor Injuries or A&E. But my guess is that you will be fine love x

Thanks so much for leaving a comment, can't tell you how much its appreciated! Ive thrown the contacts out as they indeed looked quite discoloured, so will definitely wear a fresh new pair tomorrow. Thank you, it's really reassuring to read these comments x

Latest posts

Back