Please help, gel polish keeps chipping!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jemzabelle

Nails by Jemma
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm feeling at a loss here, I've been qualified for around 6 months, and almost every gel polish I have done the clients are saying they have started chipping after 2 days, a few clients have had no chipping but most of them have, usually the chipping is at the free edge. I apply my base very thin, 3x colour coats all applied thinly and top coat applied thinly, I always cap the free edge with every coat as well. I feel like crying don't know where I'm going wrong :( here are a few photos of gel polishes I have done to see if this helps. Thanks in advance.
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1449524303.299283.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1449524327.314921.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1449524348.700983.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1449524369.989911.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1449524387.487628.jpg

Also here is a photo a client sent me showing me the chips, that started only 3 days after having them done.
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1449524589.735947.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1449524602.958151.jpg

are u capping ur free edge with the base and top coats?

Yeah I cap free edge with base colour coats and top coat x

Are you sure that picture is only three days after you applied the polish? I'd say there's at LEAST a week of regrowth there. Did she send you this picture immediately after it chipped?

Also some clients just don't suit gel polish, it might be that their nails need something a little stronger.

What system are you using?

Are you sure that picture is only three days after you applied the polish? I'd say there's at LEAST a week of regrowth there. Did she send you this picture immediately after it chipped?

Also some clients just don't suit gel polish, it might be that their nails need something a little stronger.

Im in the very same position. Today i could cry.

Many things could be wrong here. Do you have a cheap lamp/ are you using the same brand lamp as the gel system. This can cause undercuring. Are you making sure to do a dry mani first and prepping the nails properly. No water or oil on nails before gel. Are you making sure no gel is touching skin around the nails? On very short nails when capping the free edge you need to make sure you keep it of the skin under the nail. Also around the cuticle area if it is touching the skin it is nearly impossible to keep a biter or picker from ripping it up. How do your own nails hold up when you do them? If it works on your nails then it is probably something with the client. Do they have weak damaged nails? Are they pickers/biters? Did they take a shower or bath right before appointment? I am a mostly ex-biter and polish ripper so I know the signs of others. Usually it starts with picking around the edges. If the polish was only a couple of days old but suddenly they look like it's grown out a week they are picking at it.

If that is 3 days old it looks like the client has been picking around the cuticle area.

To be fair to clients, they can't pick if the product is tightly adhered to the nail. Do they mention if it starts to separate?

Would be good to know training, product line and lamp x

To be fair to clients, they can't pick if the product is tightly adhered to the nail. Do they mention if it starts to separate?

Would be good to know training, product line and lamp x
I can pick and rip any polish off It's a terrible skill: habit.

Are you applying the polish in very thin coats?
When you take the basecoat brush out the bottle and let the excess slip off that one blob should be enough for the whole hand without redipping it. Then super thin coats of colour and topcoat x

Hi ,

The growth is these pictures I would bet money is NOT 3 days old. Did she just say they chipped after three days and then send you a picture much later ? How long after her appt did she send this pic through to you ?
x

Also here is a photo a client sent me showing me the chips, that started only 3 days after having them done. View attachment 192748View attachment 192749

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back