Please help, getting very depressed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,
I am a recent nail tech grad and will be taking state boards next month.

This is my problem and I am getting quite depressed. This is the 3rd time I've done gels on my nails. (IBD) They end up looking great. But the first couple times, I had problems w/lifting. This last time, no lifting, however, the tips merely broke off while I was at work!

The tips were sized correctly but I did notice cracks in some of them the next day or so. One crack was due to hitting the nail.

I work at the post office and do wear cotton gloves to try to protect my hands. My nails are thin and short and I keep the enhancements fairly short.

I do not know if I need to let nail damage grow out. Or if I simply cannot wear enhancements due to my job. I'd read on this board that wearing gloves could create too much moisture.

I am thinking about going to a salon to see what another nail tech would suggest. (I had a friend @school who was a nursing assistant and she would lost some of her enhancements @work as well. At this point, I don't really want to go to the school, although it is probably a good idea)

I need to have decent looking nails before applying for work at a salon.

I just don't know what to do with my own.

Please advise,

Idealsummerluv

I think your problem may be due to the fact that many gels are marketed like all you have to do is paint them on like polish and voila!! But this is not the case.

Gel if it is going to last, has to be built in different thicknesses in different areas, just like liquid/powder nails, and quite frankly wraps too if you want strength and durability.

It is easier to 'see' the amount you are adding and exactly where with a liquid/powder system. In order to really master gels you need to be very aware of adding extra strength over the stress area.

Many gels crack and break and chip because the nail technician has not added enough gel to get the strength required. Try making them alittle thicker where it counts.

Gigi,
Yes, I know gels are easy to learn and hard to master.
I will try applying more gel on stress areas.

:)
Idealsummerluv

Latest posts

Back