Please help-I need to choose a SOG brand to train in

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Carly*

Reaction score
Hiya! Firstly, apologies as I know this question comes up constantly. So I finally have my mani pedi cert, hurrah! Next step is SOG's, but I'm humming and hawing over which brand. I always wanted to go with Perfect Match, I hear really great things, the price point is good (plus they come with a matching varnish as an added bonus) and I simply adore their colour range. The only training is with ASU in Dublin and as I'm not trained in SOG I'd have to go do it. The training is free with the kit, so what I save on that I figured I could spend on budget flights from London.

There's one issue though that's concerning me: I think it can be bought by the general public. It's a professional brand, but from what I can see it is not pro only and you don't need to be qualified to purchase. Unless anyone knows otherwise? The only UK distributor is in Ireland though, so I figured it's not like clients could pop to Boots or even Sally's and pick it up.

I want to use something different, something that sets me apart. I find their range quite unique which is a good fit for me. Also, I am kind of allergic to gel I believe (not 100% certain as I don't wear it, but I have many allergies and work with gloves and did have a slight tingling once when some uncured gel touched my thumb). The nice thing about the matching lacquer is I could wear it myself to tempt clients into colours.

I also fancied Gel II, but the training and set up is very high. There's Gellish, but I felt messed about when I enquired about training and I believe their set up is very high too from what I can recall. There's Shellac, but the shade range doesn't speak to me really, it doesn't feel as adventurous as other brands - plus it's so common everywhere and I want to stand apart. I also spoke to a CND educator last year who was rather unhelpful and looked at me like I was an alien when I mentioned pedicures. There's ASP Signature, which I don't know much about but I think ASP is possibly a bit too budget? Calgel interests me too, as you can enhance with it, so it's great if someone has broken a nail, plus they have some demo days coming up. The other brand I considered is Cuccio, I'm a bit baffled by their training as the education part of their site doesn't seem to be updated and I'm unsure of the set up and training costs. I wanted to switch my mani pedi brand to Cuccio, so I thought it would be nice to stick with them.

I hate to be so financially concious with set up and training costs. I saved and spent a lot of money for my training and kind of feel screwed over and now I'm basically broke. It's actually really upset me (if anyone wants to discuss pm) and I feel like what I thought was a good decision at the time has made a fool out of me. Now I basically have to try to get the money for SOG as an early Xmas present, so an extra £600 or so just isn't going to happen. I just want to get my business off the ground and I've created problems for myself.

Sorry this is such a long post. Thanks in advance to anyone who can offer any advice. xx

I won't suggest specific brands to you as you've already researched many and also there are hundreds of threads on here already discussing gel colour brands and which are everyone's favourites. What I would say however, is as you have already spent alot of money and want to make sure that your next investment is successful, I urge you to stay away from any brand which is available to the public. Stick to a professional only brand, one that supports the professional and doesn't also want to sell to your clients.

You want to partner with a brand that is interested in supporting small businesses, one who will offer ongoing training, exclusive products, and promoting you the professional, not just selling their product to any Tom, Dick or Harry.

Latest posts

Back