Please help! Lip waxing people who wear ppe/face masks

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicbeauty

Reaction score
Hi, I hope I’m in the right place, I am new here!
Basically I have been a beauty therapist and waxing for 16years now, bit this year has really knocked my confidence, when waxing brows I’m getting the “skin graze” on some people’s brows and today a client came in for her regular appointment (client with years) to get her brows done, only to show me her lip (which was waxed 3weeks ago) it looked like it was healing after a burn 😳 it has never happened before!! She also had her brows done the same day and they were perfectly fine, she said the evening after the lip wax, her lip felt hot and then it scabbed over???
She was fine about it because as I said it has never happened before, but I’m not happy about it obviously, I have been using satin smooth pearl wax since I started, I’ve never changed brand, the wax pot is always on the same temp and I always test it on my hand before waxing, I’m really at a loss to what it could be from?? I chatted to another beauty therapist who said it’s started to happen to her too this year and she reckons it’s from people wearing face masks in public etc, making the skin moist, or if they have dirty masks?? Any one else having this problem??

This was her lip today

Attachments

• 5744FF35-1C30-4D94-9D4F-F6B08F9DF0C9.jpeg
    5744FF35-1C30-4D94-9D4F-F6B08F9DF0C9.jpeg
    746.7 KB · Views: 66
It does look awful particularly after 3 weeks. All I can say is thank goodness for our masks to hide it, but it is the reason for the issue as well.
I have noticed a change to my regular lip wax clients. I haven't grazed anyone , but there is a definite change in the way the strip wants to pull more as it's being done.

So as a solution I have been waxing the lip before anything else they have done. The short time taken for arrival is the only time they have to develop a moist lip area. So make a change to your treatment by doing it first and hopefully it won't happen again.

As for the eyebrow graze too, perhaps moisture from a visor/goggles is causing the same problem. I use talc as a layer before waxing, some therapists are oil trained and some use hard wax which can cause less skin damage..

Try a few of the options and hopefully you'll find a better way.

Thanks Rosie, when the first skin graze happened after the first lockdown in Ireland I went and bought lycon pre wax oil (to avoid skin drag) but it’s happened with three clients since and now that this has happened Even though I’ve been concentrating even more on technique and stretching etc but I am seriously considering moving to hard wax, and even a new wax heater because something is definitely not right!!

I had a client that had a bit of irritation after lip and chin wax I waxed her in the morning and in the evening she said felt bit uncomfortable and became red. I asked her what she had been up to that day turns out she had been shopping all day. So I now mention to clients to let face air after waxing and advise to not wear a mask straight after. I’ve waxed her since I did turn wax down a little and it didn’t happen. I didn’t even think about masks but it’s no different to body waxing, it but makes sense to let area breathe after waxing. And I’ve noticed I break out after waxing lip and realised it’s because I waxed my lip then wear mask all day! Please don’t let it knock your confidence these things happen and it sounds like your client had been understanding which is great. Hope that helps xxx

Yes I think the masks are causing more sensitivity so they should go home and let air at the area afterwards . Don’t beat yourself up .

I had a client that had a bit of irritation after lip and chin wax I waxed her in the morning and in the evening she said felt bit uncomfortable and became red. I asked her what she had been up to that day turns out she had been shopping all day. So I now mention to clients to let face air after waxing and advise to not wear a mask straight after. I’ve waxed her since I did turn wax down a little and it didn’t happen. I didn’t even think about masks but it’s no different to body waxing, it but makes sense to let area breathe after waxing. And I’ve noticed I break out after waxing lip and realised it’s because I waxed my lip then wear mask all day! Please don’t let it knock your confidence these things happen and it sounds like your client had been understanding which is great. Hope that helps xxx

Thanks Emmie xx it’s just not a nice feeling, especially not knowing the reason 100% as to what happened and why, it has never happened to me before so I got an awful fright, especially when it happened weeks ago and never told me 🙈 so I’m going to start looking into hard wax for sensitive skin and a new wax heater to be on the safe side 🤦🏼‍♀️
I work for myself and it’s times like this I certainly miss working with others 😁 so I’m very greatful for the replies!!

Yes I think the masks are causing more sensitivity so they should go home and let air at the area afterwards . Don’t beat yourself up .

Ya i will have to pre warn clients now of this, Thanks Elaine xx

That's interesting, I had a regular client come in just before we had to close, and she said after her last lip wax she'd had a reaction in the centre area just below her nose (which had gone by the time I saw her). I did wonder if it had been anything to do with wearing a mask, although she doesn't have to wear one all the time. It's the first time in years this has ever happened to her. She was fine about it but as a precaution, I left the middle area when I waxed her lip this time, and plucked instead. Also told her to contact me if there was a reaction this time but not heard anything from her this time. Maybe this is going to be "a thing"from now on.

That's interesting, I had a regular client come in just before we had to close, and she said after her last lip wax she'd had a reaction in the centre area just below her nose (which had gone by the time I saw her). I did wonder if it had been anything to do with wearing a mask, although she doesn't have to wear one all the time. It's the first time in years this has ever happened to her. She was fine about it but as a precaution, I left the middle area when I waxed her lip this time, and plucked instead. Also told her to contact me if there was a reaction this time but not heard anything from her this time. Maybe this is going to be "a thing"from now on.

Hi Tog, i know, I was thinking the same, but I have no idea of preventative measures yet or how to tackle it, any idea on what you are going to do?

Hi Tog, i know, I was thinking the same, but I have no idea of preventative measures yet or how to tackle it, any idea on what you are going to do?
HI there Nicbeauty, when I next see her (we are closed right now due to lockdown) , if there is no visible redness on the middle area of her lip, I plan to use a pre-wax oil, which I have occasionally used before on clients with very sensitive skin, or possibly a little talc. Luckily as she's a regular client I can ask her for feedback. So if it still happens, even with these precautions I will advise not waxing her lip, and hopefully it won't be too far into the future when we can dispense with masks.

Latest posts

Back