Please help me out, salon owner to salon owner

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayleigh12

Reaction score
Hi everyone so I am a onwer of my own salon and all my girls are self employed and one of my girls wants to make her own hair products and I do the same should I allow her to tell her clients about them in my salon ? I have had loads of mixed comments about this just want to know what my fellow trades think ?

Hi everyone so I am a onwer of my own salon and all my girls are self employed and one of my girls wants to make her own hair products and I do the same should I allow her to tell her clients about them in my salon ? I have had loads of mixed comments about this just want to know what my fellow trades think ?

I believe she can do as she pleases. As long as she’s not selling them to your clients... this is the beauty of being self employed... you run your own business and if you don’t want that you need to employ ppl. You can’t cherry pick that you don’t want to pay pensions, holiday etc but then tell them how to run their business. You can get in serious trouble with Hmrc if you are exploiting self employed as employed. Xxxxx

I believe she can do as she pleases. As long as she’s not selling them to your clients... this is the beauty of being self employed... you run your own business and if you don’t want that you need to employ ppl. You can’t cherry pick that you don’t want to pay pensions, holiday etc but then tell them how to run their business. You can get in serious trouble with Hmrc if you are exploiting self employed as employed. Xxxxx

Thank you for your advice means a lots do you rent a space ?

That’s one of the reasons I don’t rent chairs.....
Your simply their Landlord.... they will never be ‘your girls’ or your team....they are simply your tennants!
They are free to come and go when they want, choose their own brands, they can even undercut you if they please.....
Yes - you won’t have the responsibility of paying their salary, pension, holiday pay etc....
But the £30 - £50.00 a day rent....is it really worth all the negatives that can go with it...

That’s one of the reasons I don’t rent chairs.....
Your simply their Landlord.... they will never be ‘your girls’ or your team....they are simply your tennants!
They are free to come and go when they want, choose their own brands, they can even undercut you if they please.....
Yes - you won’t have the responsibility of paying their salary, pension, holiday pay etc....
But the £30 - £50.00 a day rent....is it really worth all the negatives that can go with it...

Ok thank you for your help. Do you think she’s allowed to put them out in my salon like have her own stand ? As self employed?

Thank you for your advice. Is she allowed to put them out in my salon ?

I would say so... check with hmrc xxxxx

Legally, they can make their own products.

Legally they can use them on their clients if they are trained in it (eg facial masks from basic ingredients)

Legally, they won’t have a leg to stand on if they sell them to their clients (or indeed anyone). It won’t be covered in insurance. You may not either. They MUST have a product making qualification to do so.

If she doesn’t have that certificate, do not let her encourage your own clients to buy them and do not recommend them as it will end up on your shoulders if your client has a problem with them.

IMG_2631.JPG

Also might be worth you signing up for national hairdressers federation, you get all the support in everything legal including gdpr etc xxxxx

Latest posts

Back