SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shelbygirl

Reaction score
Hi guys! Im not an experiecend hair stylist at all, Im new and just starting. Right now Im trying to do my hair. I use wella. I bleach and then I tone with koleston ( we dont have wella toners where I live, I have to do it with dye).
Last time I used 10/16 with 3% developer on dry hair and I got this result ( I feel its too beigy ashy and flat).
I would love a more white and bright color.( I will attach a photo).
Can you sugest a wella dye used as a toner that can achieve something similar to that? And maybe I should switch Koleston with Illumina for shine? Apply on damp hair maybe..
I would really appreciate any input, I love reading this forum.

Attachments

• 84BA3157-AE52-43F8-95B5-587BED90F11A.jpeg
    84BA3157-AE52-43F8-95B5-587BED90F11A.jpeg
    159.4 KB · Views: 165
  • A9439F64-7156-41CE-9A0D-827279BED316.jpeg
    A9439F64-7156-41CE-9A0D-827279BED316.jpeg
    69.1 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Hi guys! Im not an experiecend hair stylist at all, Im new and just starting. Right now Im trying to do my hair. I use wella. I bleach and then I tone with koleston ( we dont have wella toners where I live, I have to do it with dye).
Last time I used 10/16 with 3% developer on dry hair and I got this result ( I feel its too beigy ashy and flat).
Can you sugest a wella dye used as a toner that can achieve something similar to that? And maybe I should switch Koleston with Illumina for shine? Apply on damp hair maybe..
Hi. Im inexperienced too but I maintain a pure platinum white as well. Had the shame problem, toned with 10.16 KP on wet hair and color was so beigy and ashy. So after all I tried Wella Color Charm t18 (I order it online cause it doesn't exist here in Greece) and toned with this and 20vol. What I got was a pale platinum white like the one in the pic you posted. I toned for about 30 mins on clean level 10.

Ps: Wella got new toners (blondor). You can try the pale platinum too. I think its quite similar to t18 white lady.

You'd be better using 10/6 in colour touch. The ash in 10/16 does tend to dull it a bit to more of a silvery tone where as the /6 will just totally wipe out any warmth and leave you with white!

Hi. Im inexperienced too but I maintain a pure platinum white as well. Had the shame problem, toned with 10.16 KP on wet hair and color was so beigy and ashy. So after all I tried Wella Color Charm t18 (I order it online cause it doesn't exist here in Greece) and toned with this and 20vol. What I got was a pale platinum white like the one in the pic you posted. I toned for about 30 mins on clean level 10.

Ps: Wella got new toners (blondor). You can try the pale platinum too. I think its quite similar to t18 white lady.
Also If you cant have access at those toners, what I did before I ordered online was tone with 10.16 on wet hair for about 3-5 mins. Color was still ashy but more white and not beige.

@cassies97 Thank you, Cassie!! I think I will do just that. What developer do you suggest? Also should I do it on damp hair and for how long?

@Balayage Yep, cant get those atm so I will have to use wella dyes for now. But I will try them for sure the next time I'll bleach and tone.Im doing my hair next week so fingers crossed. Haha

@Balayage Yep, cant get those atm so I will have to use wella dyes for now. But I will try them for sure the next time I'll bleach and tone.Im doing my hair next week so fingers crossed. Haha
What Cassie told you is fine. Tone with 10/6 on a clean level 10 will give you the platinum white you want. But it wont be so "cool". Expect some warmth. But its better, and I prefer it as well as long as I dont want silverish/grey look.
Wella t18 toner is a bit ashy but it gives not that silverish look on the hair, but a pure white. But I shall inform you its quite "strong" and should be used with caution. I am looking forward to try those new blondor toners. That pale platinum should work for both of us.
Good luck and take care. [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

@Balayage Thanks! Will post results in a week :) I don't mind a lil bit of warmth as long as its a lil bit :p

@cassies97 Thank you, Cassie!! I think I will do just that. What developer do you suggest? Also should I do it on damp hair and for how long?
Yes on damp hair with 1.9%. Visually develop until you think its ready to come off. Theres no specific time with toners as if depends on porosity.

You're better using koleston, illumina or colour touch to tone as I believe colour charm is extremely cheap and not as efficient.

Good luck!

What Cassie told you is fine. Tone with 10/6 on a clean level 10 will give you the platinum white you want. But it wont be so "cool". Expect some warmth. But its better, and I prefer it as well as long as I dont want silverish/grey look.
Wella t18 toner is a bit ashy but it gives not that silverish look on the hair, but a pure white. But I shall inform you its quite "strong" and should be used with caution. I am looking forward to try those new blondor toners. That pale platinum should work for both of us.
Good luck and take care. [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]
10/6 will totally knock out warmth on a 10.

Yes on damp hair with 1.9%. Visually develop until you think its ready to come off. Theres no specific time with toners as if depends on porosity.

You're better using koleston, illumina or colour touch to tone as I believe colour charm is extremely cheap and not as efficient.

Good luck!
Thanks,Cassie! Can't wait to do it :)

U should also try directions white toner, it’s really reasonable and works a treat! It’s sold it most wholesalers but u can also get it online

You'd be better using 10/6 in colour touch. The ash in 10/16 does tend to dull it a bit to more of a silvery tone where as the /6 will just totally wipe out any warmth and leave you with white!
Cassie, I ordered the pastel online but it comes from abroad and I dont get it in time. Im a brides maid so I must tone.. do you think it could work to use the 3% with the 10/6 one last time?

Cassie, I ordered the pastel online but it comes from abroad and I dont get it in time. Im a brides maid so I must tone.. do you think it could work to use the 3% with the 10/6 one last time?
If thats all you have then give it a go!

if picture number 1 is the shade you got and picture number 2 is the shade you want then to me it loks like yu got the tone selection right but the amount of tone is off . your looking for highest level shade from your bleach pale yellow or palest yellow and possibly a toner like 10.02 or a pastel like a 0.21the numbers before the decimal point will give you a bit of base if yu went too white , but if its just right the u just need a toner like 0. whatever 0.12 0.11 0.22

also please remember your request please help me tone to white if you think about it white has NO tone so the cleaner you get it with your bleach the better

also please remember your request please help me tone to white if you think about it white has NO tone so the cleaner you get it with your bleach the better

Just so you’re aware, the quoted poster has been absent from Salon Geek since September last year.

Latest posts

Back