Please help me with hair colour

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yasmin1621

Reaction score
Good morning.

I am not only 16 and not a beauty professional so forgiv me if this site is only to be used by professional, however the reason why I am here is because I am having a disaster.

Around 4 months ago I coloured my hair using the XXL Live in Black..this is the first time in my life that I have dyed my hair using such a dark jet black colour (although my hair before is already NATURALLY a black). After dying my hair I went on holiday and straightened my hair once/twice a week for one month. Apparently I shouldn't have done that because it locks in the silicone present in the hair dye into your hair making the black colour difficult to remove.

I was for ages wanting to dye my hair brown highlights however my mother was insisting that I do the jet black instead and now changed her mind and supported me in changing it.
So I went to a salon and did a strand test (mind I had hair oil on my hair during this) the lady said it wasn't a problem so she took a strand of hair as a tester and tried bleaching it. I came back the next day to my strand of hair and surprisingly it had turned into this medium dark orange colour with black tips even though she had left the bleach on it for 1 hour.

I am scared I will be stuck with this jet black hair for a very long time or maybe a lifetime.

I did some research and I concluded I was going to using a clarifying shampoo more often and do lemon treatments as well as wash my hair for longer for like around a year and then hopefully be able to strip the jet black of my hair without too much damage or overly much damage..

My request is that you advice me regarding this and will I be able to have my hair back within a year or two ?

Thank you in advance

Relax. Your hair will grow!

Don't use lemon juice or harsh detergents on your hair as they will dry it out and cause more damage. You need to keep moisturising it instead with good quality salon products. Don't use anything containing non water soluble silicone. Check the ingredients for chemicals with 'one' at the end of their name, such as dimethicone. (Not all silicones are bad. Water soluble ones wash out easily but the others coat the hair and after using heat on it such as straighteners, become very difficult to remove.)

Shop around to find a really good colourist who uses professional colour removing products (not bleach) and ask them for advice. They will be able to get your hair looking much better, but it won't be cheap.
You will need to use a chelating shampoo first to remove some of the silicone coating.

If you can't afford it, just get your hair cut regularly and wait for it to grow out.

Relax. Your hair will grow!

Don't use lemon juice or harsh detergents on your hair as they will dry it out and cause more damage. You need to keep moisturising it instead with good quality salon products. Don't use anything containing non water soluble silicone. Check the ingredients for chemicals with 'one' at the end of their name, such as dimethicone. (Not all silicones are bad. Water soluble ones wash out easily but the others coat the hair and after using heat on it such as straighteners, become very difficult to remove.)

Shop around to find a really good colourist who uses professional colour removing products (not bleach) and ask them for advice. They will be able to get your hair looking much better, but it won't be cheap.
You will need to use a chelating shampoo first to remove some of the silicone coating.

If you can't afford it, just get your hair cut regularly and wait for it to grow out.

Thanks a lot..

Considering I have used heat for one month only since colouring my hair what kind of Hair colour remover would be a good suggestion ?

Thanks in advance.

Latest posts

Back