Please help me

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhi

Reaction score
I enrolled with ICS last week, Nail Technician and UV Gel enhancements at a cost of almost £1000, study from home.

Ive been researching and found to get a trade card for Sallys for example I need a qualification of NVQ Level 2 or higher, so I contacted ICS to check what my qualification will be on completion of my two courses, they said its just a diploma and is not a recognised qualification and isn't accredited by any outside authorities, therefore I am just paying almost a thousand pounds for knowledge not a qualification.....

When I enrolled over the phone, I specifically asked the lady if it was a recognised course etc and she assured me it was.

Have I been had???

I have asked them to listen back to my phone call when I enrolled because I am sure she told me it was recognised and is enough to start my own business.

Cant believe this, was really enjoying the course and have been studying full time :(

I don't know anything about ICS but did you also check if the 'qualification' would be recognised by any insurer? That will be your main concern. If not then absolutely fight your corner to get a refund - good luck! X

They said you can get insurance with the "qualification" yes x

Please wait. An operator will be with you shortly.
Rory says:
Hello Kelly Darragh. My name is Rory how can I help you?
Kelly Darragh says:
Hi Rory, could you please tell me what level my qualification will be when Ive passed my two courses as Ive been looking into things and it suggests I need to be a minimum of level 2 to apply for trade cards etc
Rory says:
i'm not sure. Can I pass you to a course advisor, to help you with that?
Kelly Darragh says:
Yes
Rory says:
One moment...
Paul says:
Hi Kelly
Paul says:
Let me read the chat back you have had with Rory
Kelly Darragh says:
Ok
Paul says:
Hold on please
Paul says:
I am not sure what you require for this trade card you mentioned Kelly
Paul says:
What I can tell you is the courses you have enrolled on are ICS Diploma
Paul says:
s
Kelly Darragh says:
What level NVQ
Paul says:
They are not set at a certain level like level 1 or 2 etc
Paul says:
They are not NVQs and you cannot do NVQ study by distance learning
Kelly Darragh says:
So does this course entitle me to app
Kelly Darragh says:
Apply for insurances etc?
Paul says:
The courses do give you knowledge on what to do for that and the routes you need to go down
Kelly Darragh says:
But will it qualify me as a professional?
Paul says:
It gives you professional skills of course but you would need to check with the authorities regarding that Kelly
Kelly Darragh says:
Surely you should know that?\
Kelly Darragh says:
I was told when I enrolled that I would be a professional when passed and ready to start my own business as a nail technician
Paul says:
Yes these courses give you really good professional skills and are designed for you be able to start your own business on completion and you can apply for insurance
Kelly Darragh says:
And can I purchase trade products with this qualificaton?
Kelly Darragh says:
I was lead to believe this would all be possible
Paul says:
You did ask that
Paul says:
I am sorry thats not something I am familiar with and you would need to investigate that through the appropriate channels
Paul says:
I would think though on the basis you can apply for insurance it would be acceptable
Kelly Darragh says:
Will I recieve a certificate on completion of the courses?
Paul says:
yes of course
Kelly Darragh says:
What will it say on the certificate?
Paul says:
I will pass you through to student services
Rory says:
Hello Kelly.
Kelly Darragh says:
Hello again Rory
Rory says:
I can confirm that the certificate will state the name of the course passed, but for information about the units passed andd the grades achieved we would need to issue a course transcript.
Kelly Darragh says:
What does that mean?
Rory says:
It means you will recieve a certificate confirming the completion of your course.
Rory says:
The ICS courses are not nationaly recognised qualifications.
Kelly Darragh says:
When I enrolled the lady said it was a recognised course
Rory says:
Do you remember who you spoke to about that, because our course advisors are normally very careful about that.
Kelly Darragh says:
I specifically asked if it was enough to become a fully qualified nail technician and be able to start up a business and she assured me yes it was
Kelly Darragh says:
I asked if it was a recognised qualification, she said yes
Rory says:
That is true. The course provides that knowledge.
Kelly Darragh says:
So it provides the knowledge but not the recognised qualification?
Rory says:
That is correct. The course is not accredited by any external authority
Kelly Darragh says:
Do you have a recording of my phone call with the course advisor? Because she assured me it was all I needed
Kelly Darragh says:
And that it WAS a recognised qualification
Kelly Darragh says:
This is quite clearly a con
Rory says:
I will need to get the enrollment call listened to to confirm what was said during the conversation. This will take a while to arrange. Wil it be OK to caontact you after the Manager has reviewed the call?
Kelly Darragh says:
Why would I agree to pay almost a thousand pound just for knowledge
Kelly Darragh says:
Yes ok
Kelly Darragh says:
How will you contact me?
Rory says:
i would call or email if I couldn't get you in the phone.
Kelly Darragh says:
My number is 01522 410456
Kelly Darragh says:
Will it be today
Kelly Darragh says:
?
Rory says:
I hope so, but it will depend on the Managers workload.
Rory says:
As soon as I hear back from them I will be in touch.
Kelly Darragh says:
Ok

Thats how the conversation went...

Im worried now :( xx

I only want to work from home and sometimes mobile.

Is this going to be enough for that? How will I buy products?

Sounds like even their staff don't know!

Sally's should be able to offer you a student card so you can make purchases whilst studying. Have you decided which products/brand you want to use?

Hopefully someone who has had experience of ICS will see this post and be more helpful to you x

I'd like to be able to use Shellac and Gelish, those kind of products.

What do I need to show them to get a student card?

Thanks for your help xx

I went in to Sally's with my business insurance certificate from the guild and that's all I needed. They didn't ask to see any of my qualifications. Another wholesaler near me wanted my certificates, I couldn't find my nvq ones but have recently done refresher diplomas and used those certificates. My courses were accredited by the guild though.
Hope you get sorted hunni x

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

I need to take in my enrolment letter and receipt of payment I believe, Im going to nip into sallys and ask them, I very worried Ive been ripped off, I need to put my mind at rest, as long as I can be insured and buy the products I am happy to carry on as I am enjoying it

Have a look at CND Naturally
Sweet Squared are the official suppliers for Shellac and have won many awards for their training x

After you do the Ics you will still need to continue your training in your chosen brands etc so you should be able to obtain insurance and trade products that way. Although you will need proof of mani pedi training to get on a gelish course for Instance.

Why not call Sally's directly and find out exactly?

Good luck

I've had a look at the FAQ section on the website they say
many of their courses are accredited and qualifications awarded by city and guilds , edexcel . They say many, not all . On that particular course it just says a ics diploma. Nothing about awarding bodies or accredited by etc

You need to get them to clarify who exactly awards the qualification for your course. If they cannot tell you that then I would assume its a course they have designed themselves and is not accredited by anyone in which case I would cut your losses and look for a more professional course. If you only signed up last week hopefully there is some sort of cooling off period for you to change you mind but you would have to check your terms and conditions.

Good luck

I have had a look at the course descriptions and unfortunately it is all very misleading, it makes it sound like you've just got to read a few books and look at some pictures. Most of the big beauty insurers will not insure for Home Learning of any kind. I know this because I went down the home learning route for my nail technician diploma. However all is not lost, don't panic. Think of this as the beginning of your learning journey. After I had finished my home learning I went on to get an accredited qualification with a local trainer to me who gave me one to one training, which led to me being able to get the insurance I wanted. Believe me you'll need practical help, it's not as easy as it looks. It's long winded and expensive compared to training directly with a product supplier and I would do it all so differently if I could start again. If you can get your money back do it but if not persevere and get your diploma, it's a starting point and in nails, the learning never ends. Good luck!xx

I'm going to have to look at this myself!

Have you paid the full course already or just deposit? Can you get your money bsck?

I've had a look at the FAQ section on the website they say
many of their courses are accredited and qualifications awarded by city and guilds , edexcel . They say many, not all . On that particular course it just says a ics diploma. Nothing about awarding bodies or accredited by etc

You need to get them to clarify who exactly awards the qualification for your course. If they cannot tell you that then I would assume its a course they have designed themselves and is not accredited by anyone in which case I would cut your losses and look for a more professional course. If you only signed up last week hopefully there is some sort of cooling off period for you to change you mind but you would have to check your terms and conditions.

Good luck

I agree with the above post. I believe that if you have not yet started the course, you should be entitled to a refund. I would contact your bank if you paid by credit card/bank card and speak to an advisor about this. Tell them you are afraid you are being ripped off, you were deliberately misled by their information and you would like to cancel the transaction. I think there should be a law to protect consumers from this and you should be able to report them.

I'm worried now. I went through ICS for my nail technician course and I was told it was a recognised grade certificate. I've passed last year and just looking to get set up as I have now finished my acrylic nails course with essential nails.

I trained with Essential Nails.

I've got a Sally's Trade Card, S2 account, Ellison's account etc.

I can also get insurance.

I don't know if Essential Nails is who ICS go with but I know that the Gel and Acrylic courses together are much cheaper than £1000 if you go through them direct, for the same course. Might wanna cancel it anyway and go with Essential Nails direct, will save dome money?!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

I've paid £100 deposit and set up direct debit of £77 a month for next 10 months... I will ring around insurance companies tomorrow and also Sally's and find out what the situation is x

Latest posts

Back