Please help, so confused. Starting out!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emmalou91x

Reaction score
Firstly i am soo sorry for going on abit. I just feel like i have wasted time and money doing beauty for the past 2 years :( and just wanna cry and dont have a clue what to do.

I have 2-3 more weeks before my level 2 is complete. I started from level 1 and just done level 2 part time. I have also done a minx and gelicure course and doing spray tanning in july. And looking to do an acrylic course with nail harmony.

I LOVE doing nails and when college was finished wanted to start up doing nails and the tanning when i have done the course and a few other beauty treatments.

Firstly, my idea was to do it mobile. But after the thought of trying to find the persons house, time and money travelling and carting all the stuff in and out the car etc, and my own safety being in a strangers house (I am only 20 and a tad weedy lol). I thought it would be best to do it from home. I currently have my own business selling on ebay and my website making and selling iron on diamante transfers. I have done this for nearly 3 years and want to keep at it. So doing beauty from home was even more ideal as i can still do my diamante orders between clients etc...

My mum is doing the garage out into 2 work rooms, 1 for her work and i was going to have the other part for diamantes but then was going to sqeeze my diamante stuff in my room (as i always stay at my bfs anyway) and use the garage (which would be done out nice) for beauty. But i dont know how to go about this with insurance and council and planning etc... :( also being on my own, it does worry me of my lack of experience with public clients and reconignising nail conditions etc...

Also where do i start with consultation sheets and knowing everything i will need etc...

I am soo excited 1 min then just feel like its too much hassle the next and think maybe i am trying to run before i can walk.

Please someone reply and give me their opinon.

x

Ah bless you, don't panic it can all sound abit overwhelming to start but we've all been there! The best thing to do is stop write a list of all the things u need to do/ arrange/ sort out and just start at the top working your way through them! Starting working from home at 20 though if ur not totally confident I probably would recommend a few yrs in a salon first just for the support of others and to build up ur confidence and experience is key!!
HTH
xx
🌸

Ok well one piece of advise could be to find a salon to work in even if it's just one or 2 days a week just until you feel more confident. And secondly yes you will need council permission and a licence to work from home. I think with mobile your worrying about nothing, just either buy a sat nav or look up the directions on google maps before you go. With regards to nail conditions just keep reserching them and remember your not allowed to name something to client anyway so if it looks dangerous you are suppose to just ask them to see their gp before you go ahead with the treatment. Hope this helps also before you do anything ensure you have a good business this will make sure your not throwing your money down the drain and make you feel alot more confident about your new venture :) hth and good luck with whatever you decide to do xx

Thank you soo much for your replies. Yes i did think about asking my local salon if i could just go in for a few days a week to gain some salon experience. (But then i thought, would they think i am being cheeky?) lol. So far i havent found any local jobs for any part time work.
I am soo excited about all this, but then i think well where do i start lol?
I am ok with recognising contra-indications, but not how to notice if the nail plate is oily, dry etc.. and what medications would effect treatments.

Sorry my last post wasnt very clear lol, i was just going to ask a local salon if it would be ok to go in for a few days (kinda like a work experince thing) and not get paid etc...

I think the best thing to do is calm down and get some experience :) lol.

I have soo many questions...

If i were to do nails mobile/from home?

What do i need?

- Insurance
- Consultations cards - Do i make my own?
- Aftercare sheets

???

I don't think a salon would think you were being cheeky at all. Especially if you explain you are trying to get work experience and you're prepared to get stuck in and help out whatever. This is happening more and more across industries as the job market is tight.

I also think you should do as above -write a list of every single thing you need to sort out and then get using the search facility on here, one topic at a time till you get all the answers you need. I myself have a notebook with everything in as I find there are SO many things that need to be done. Once you have your list you can prioritise what needs to be done first. Then when you need help if you come on here with a specific question you'll get the answers. At the moment it seems overwhelming because you're looking at everything at once - and nobody started a business that way, you'd never get anywhere.

All the best hon, you'll get there but give it time xxx

Hi, when I left college I went to work in a busy spa, it was very hard work but a excellent way to gain experience fast and you will get good training. Salon work is great but it does take a while to build a clientele. Good look with what u decide:)

Don't try and guess what your local council will require. Every council is different from the threads on SG, so give the planning dept a ring and seek advice direct from them.

Agree with the above post, give the council a ring and check on it, then you'll have it straight from the horse's mouth . . . they're only people, some are even quite nice lol - our local council are a really helpful bunch.

I also think it would benefit you to work in a salon for a bit to get a "feel" for it. Having said that, I've been doing nails for 9 years and never had even one day of salon experience, never even had my nails done by anyone else - so it's by no means essential - but in the early days, it would have been nice to have had some experience to draw on. I just struggled on by myself (hadn't found salon geek then either- it would have helped sooo much if I had!)

You sound really focussed and passionate and I think that's fantastic - all that energy to channel into your new business! As has been said, make lists, be organised, tick things off one thing at a time (tip: do the things you're dreading first, get them out the way!) - then you can look forward to doing all the nice tasks :wink2:

Good luck - it's so exciting! x

Last edited:
I can't offer any advice as I too am newly trained and about to try to start my own business (eeek!!)
I'm 40 and still very nervous and feel I don't know where to start so you're not alone:hug:
Good luck for the future x

I had no clue where to start either as I had worked for an oil company for 17 years.

I got help, advice and training/courses from Enterprise North East Trust in Aberdeen; Business Gateway — Enterprise North East Trust
I know this is not where you live but they are really friendly and helpful and may know of a similar organisation in your area if you contact them.
I also found out from going to courses that HMRC run free courses and one lady who was running the VAT course is now my client and so is her Mum!
Hopes this helps in a round about way.

Thank you for your replies everyone :) i love this site. I dont think my bf can take much more beauty and nail talk so it is good to come on here lol.

I think after the bank holiday, i will go into my local salon and ask if i could pop their for a day or 2 a week. Hopefully this will help me sort out a few questions i have going on in my beauty overloaded brain lol.

Also i know all councils will be different but what sort of things do they look for, expect from you etc... I am 20 and still live with mum and dont want her thinkin i am invaiding the house lol and her to think it is just too much hassle allowing me to do nails from home.

x

Latest posts

Back