Please help, think I've been scammed!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenAesthetics

Reaction score
Just read about this after thinnking it was funny hadnt heard anything....

registered business on yell.com and thomsons had barrage calls. One of which pressurising us into placing an order for a mag advert for a childrens charity. they then did a second call to confirm. the advert was for 145 for the year and they asked me to pay there and then: i said no. They said theyd send stuff out in the post so i could read it all etc but havent had anything at all. This was about a month ago. HAve now read this is prob a scam but cant find in what way this is a scam? I havent paid any money as yet or given any account details. Dont know name company etc so cant contact them was waiting for this in post??

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks
Helen

If you haven't paid any money I wouldn't worry!

My boyfriend did this, but it was a fire station mag/ad... And he paid around the same as what was quoted for u- it was a small ad apparently they threaten to take legal action at some point (think its when u don't re-new they say ur already in a contract)... But it is a small unprofessional ad that came out once in the year...

There is a thread on here about all the details xx

thanks yes it seems the same thing. Did anything come of it? Did they take legal action? Just trying to find the thread now...

Dont make any agreements over phones! Always ask for the information first! You may be liable if the call was recorded, but to be fair i think its a scam, i tend to get this great special offer all year round and i tell them where to get off.... hehe! xoxo

Most of these magazines never get printed.

They just sell the ads, take your money and move on to the next victims.

When have you ever seen a local police, fire service etc magazine, with paid adverts? You ever had one put through your door? I know I have not!!

The local charity ones. ask them the name of the charity, and a contact number for you to call and confirm it is legit. Bet they hang up!!

Most of these companies doing these non existent magazines tend to originate from the Liverpool area. All the same con, just new company, take the money and disappear.

As we haven't paid yet though shall we just tell them to do one? Your right the woman was a Liverpudlian and I'm expecting an invoice any day

By the way I feel very stupid!! So yes I know I've been daft and it won't happen again!!

I know how you feel, its horrible to realise you have been scammed but its happened to most of us at some time or another.

I would just ignore the invoice, they may threaten you but i doubt very much that they will go any further as it definately sounds like a scam :)

Thank you Divine. These people are sick they said it was a children's cancer charity! Have read lots stuff on net with same company def a scam!! Not going to pay just hope they don't affect my credit rating by threatening us! According to Internet they never take anyone to court!!

Ive had a few of these, police magazines was one, or just some crappy business listings etc. they do have the gift of the gab and make out that you had signed up with them in the past.

also google their telephone numbers, you will see who they exactly are and bet you there be lots of pll who have written about them.

I do not answer calls from private numbers anymore and also cut off those other dodgy numbers.

another thing I did was I contacted the telephone preference service on their website , listed my mobile number down and I hardly get any of those calls now.:wink2:

Think this one was foresters children foundation??

Just ignore them, just dont give any money over the phone, what they failed to tell you was also the price excluded VAT.

My salon owner got conned from that, she paid heaps for a little stamp size advert froma doctors surgery!

Even if they are legit, you wont get any business from it.

if you are a new business, theres lots of free advertising out there such as
:
hotfrog
u find us
smile local
secret salons
gumtree
google maps
bing
scoot
facebook
i- ( your county ie Essex )

I had them last year children charity police & fire services i even got a letter from a debt company which is also part of the scam
Hoping that you will worry and pay them :(

Do not pay it KenAsthetics.

They may threaten court, but they will not follow through, they will not want to get courts involved in their scams.

I used to get them all the time in my other business's. After their spiel. Just used to tell them i would call the local whatever they were selling and tell them they were now doing the rounds again, and end with something like, now can you F off my line so i can call them. Used to fun to see what reaction i got.

I had so many of these calls yesterday, I even started a thread about it! Lol.
The police one made me laugh when I heard it on my answer phone as I'd already read so much about it.
I ended up (after the 15th marketing call) putting a lady from some electric company on 'hold' which was actually CBeeBees! He he he!

Lol love beauty, wonder if she enjoyed it.

Don't take anything that comes to you to better your business, if you want it go find it, that way your less likely to get scammed.
I keep a whistle by my house phone for these types of calls. Regularly get them saying my iv has error reports that Microsoft asked them to fix for me.
I just go allong and pretend something happened like I dropped my pen or something by going oh oh, then get my whistle and blow as hard and as long as I can. Wouldn't want to be on the other end of the line then haha. On my mobile I just scream or make fart noises and laugh saying "oops I farted" or fake burps. Not nice for the other end lol xoxo

Thanks everyone I will defo not be making this mistake again. After doing some research apparently the debt company they use is run by the same guy!!!! The cheek. I guess I'm so honest I can't believe this goes on :-(

Lol love beauty, wonder if she enjoyed it.

Don't take anything that comes to you to better your business, if you want it go find it, that way your less likely to get scammed.
I keep a whistle by my house phone for these types of calls. Regularly get them saying my iv has error reports that Microsoft asked them to fix for me.
I just go allong and pretend something happened like I dropped my pen or something by going oh oh, then get my whistle and blow as hard and as long as I can. Wouldn't want to be on the other end of the line then haha. On my mobile I just scream or make fart noises and laugh saying "oops I farted" or fake burps. Not nice for the other end lol xoxo
Pmsl, tomee you make me p*ss! I can't stop laughing. It's like 'Scary Movie' when she's on the phone.
Killer - 'Whats that noise?' '
Carmen - 'Oops I just farted!'

Lol.

Latest posts

Back