Please help: Tips for training on a tight budget - USA

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melissa82

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I'm looking for some tips on training as a nail tech in the USA on a tight budget. I'm in school now but was planning on going to Young Nails to further my education. I can't do that anymore because we just found out my husband is getting laid off. We spent all our savings on my course. As many USA people know, they don't show you a lot about technique, the schooling is mainly about passing the state board test which is more about safety and sanitation.

Are there any reduced rate nail magazine subscriptions or other ways to learn on a tight budget? What are your favorite resources for learning? I'm on Youtube everyday but I've felt like I've viewed every video (still haven't found one on perfecting gel stilleto's yet). I'm freaking out, I don't know what to do. :*(

Nails magazine is a great resource as is this site. Honestly, I've learned more here than I ever did in school.

How much longer til you graduate?

Nails magazine is a great resource as is this site. Honestly, I've learned more here than I ever did in school.

How much longer til you graduate?
I think around February? I need 600 hours and I've got about 370 left to go.

Nail Tutorials - Salon Geek

Go to this link for the tutorials on this site. Buy Nailclass by Gigi Rouse. She's our very own Geeg. Somebody help me on where you order the book?

CND has great 1 day classes on gels, L and P, Shellac, Etc. I would suggest you master Shellac first. Practice at home on friends and family. Ask what color they want, take a donation for your polish fund. You will have a collection when you are out of school. That way you can start making money right away because its a quick service. Enhancements will take you too long at first. But keep at it.

We are here for you!

Just a thought, is there a reputable nail technician in your area? You could very politely ask if they would be willing to mentor you or allow you to do work experience with them. Might not work but worth asking :)

I'm not sure. In new here and don't know anyone. I'm thinking I really want to work with cnd or young nails products.

What have you got to lose?
Check out your local salons before and see their work and what products they use.
Go for it!
"Shy bairns get no sweets" meaning if you don't ask you don't get. Yes they may say no, but then at least you've tried. Good luck.

I'm not sure. In new here and don't know anyone. I'm thinking I really want to work with cnd or young nails products.

Then it would be a great way to meet new people who share your passion, maybe even make some new friends :) worst they can say is no and you've lost nothing x

Thanks for all the tips.

Do you guys know a good place to learn how to do UV gel nail stiletto's? That's the one thing I'm really having a hard time finding.

Latest posts

Back