Please help - what would you do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DazzlingDetails

Reaction score
Afternoon lovelies...
I just wanted some advice on what you would do in this situation...
I removed a set of CND L&P sculpted enhancements from one of my clients 3 days ago, they were nails I had applied and I was careful with removal not to over file or damage her natural nails... I then applied BL Smoothing Gel and Shellac, an hour later she text me to say one had snapped and her nails felt so thin and flimsy after having the enhancements on...I replied saying that obviously her natural nails would not be as robust as L&P and she would have to look after them and continue to Solar Oil twice a day, advice with which she seemed ok...I've now just received another text saying her nails are peeling and can I sort them tomorrow??? I've said ofcourse I can and asked if she has been oiling and wearing gloves for cleaning/washing up etc, to which she she has replied Yes, they're just so flimsy!!!
What would you lovelies do tomorrow??? Would you do a discounted treatment??? What would you offer??? How would you approach the situation???
Xxx

Obviously its a big step to go from l&p to shellac (even with brisa smoothing). I would look for obvious signs of damage from her picking at them or using her nails as tools. I don't think she's used to her natural nails and it really sounds like she's been heavy handed.

I have a feeling she will be asking for a set of l&p tomorrow instead of the shellac/brisa. I would redo the same service free of charge only if there are no apparent signs of picking (damaged nail plate etc). If she wants l&p put back on, then I'm afraid its full price. Stand your ground and don't be worried :)

Did you file off the L&P or did you soak it off?
What was the condition of her nails after the removal?

I always suggest a full IBX treatment after removal either gel or even gelpolish.

I wrapped and gently filed, to me they looked fine, just like a set of natural nails, I'm always careful when doing removals as don't want to thin the natural nail...I don't have IBX but may look into it...
Thank you both xxx

I agree with Jen. People get so used to the extra strength of L&P that they can struggle when transitioning to natural nails. I have always found that during the transition stage Brisa Smoothing is enough to bridge the gap but maybe this client needs something a little more for a few weeks so you could try a Brisa Sculpting overlay.

Keep her nails at a reasonable length for her lifestyle and just try to really impress upon her that she will need to be more careful no she no longer has L&P.

Also agree with charging if she wants to go back to L&P. if she wants to try Shellac again and you re-do free of charge make sure she understands it's a one off, she breaks them again and she will be charged.

Let us know how the appointment goes :)

Thank you, I was unsure of what to offer her but will do as suggested and keep her nails shorter...
These are the length I left them after
removal ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1420217400.872019.jpg

If you filed them off no matter how gently they can be weaker.
I soak off L&P till it rolls off the nail.

Too late for you to get IBX but please look into it, well, get it. ;)
I have better results with IBX then Brisa Lite.

This is a tricky situation.
Normally I tell the client that I will give them my opinion on what to do next after I see the condition of the nails underneath.
I do find that even clients with "good" nails experience some peeling, breaking etc after the removal of enhancements. I warn them that they might have to come back more often for IBX (1 week later, 2 weeks, and then 3 weeks).
If the nails last better, that's a bonus. It's better to under promise and over deliver.

This way when this happens they were warned and i wouldn't be offering treatments at no charge.
This is perfectly normal for the nails to need more attention after removal of enhancements.

Client's are used to strength of the enhancements and they got them because they needed the strength or durability in the first place.
Natural nails can be weak and bendy even if they didn't have the enhancements on before.

Did you shorten her nails to almost no free edge?

With some people I advise IBX and Vinylux and lots of oil. This way if something chips they can remove it themselves.
Like I mentioned before I suggest another IBX a week later and another after another 2 weeks.
If you do Shellac right away, they expect 2 weeks and they wont probably get it.
Once the nails grow out then I tell them they can start Shellac.

Some people with super hard nails are ok with IBX and Shellac.

Thank you, I was unsure of what to offer her but will do as suggested and keep her nails shorter...
These are the length I left them after
removal View attachment 80674

Hard to say with the polish on... Good thing you made them shorter.
Personally I would round the corners a little. I find the more square the nails are the more they tend to peel and bend on people with weaker/bendy nails.
Like the pointer finger on the right hand. I bet she will have problems with that one ;)

Thank you Anna, that's very helpful and I will invest in IBX...
Im thinking maybe give her the choice between a redo of the BL Smoothing & Shellac OR a manicure with Vinylux so like you say if there are any problems she can remove it herself and also take the length down more???💋

Thank you Anna, that's very helpful and I will invest in IBX...
Im thinking maybe give her the choice between a redo of the BL Smoothing & Shellac OR a manicure with Vinylux so like you say if there are any problems she can remove it herself and also take the length down more???��

You are welcome :)

Yeah, I have a feeling that if this happened once, it might happen again.
Again, I beg you, get IBX, it's inreplacable in these instances.
It really, really makes the nails smoother and stronger even after 1 treatment.
Also there is nothing to peel or pick with IBX.
ps/ I would round them off a little, so there is no pressure on the corners.

Please take a picture after the removal :)

Oh my goodness!!! What a stress over nothing!!! She had 3 nails, with THE SMALLEST chips!!! There was me picturing half missing Brisa Lite and Shellac!!! I replaced the 3 chipped nails and again went through thorough aftercare...
💋

Latest posts

Back