Please help-why does this happen?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

junemariecruz

Reaction score
Every time I get a light color Gel nail polish it gets stained. I have had acrylic nails for years now but this has just started happening last 3 months maybe. Seems like the only way to avoid is if i get a darker color. I love my nudes and pastels please help.
IMG_0302.jpg IMG_2750.jpg
I have tried 3 different manicurist (3 different salons)
Changed up the brands (Gelish, OPI, Shellac)
I have not died hair or painted with anything

Any advice will help, thank you!

Every time I get a light color Gel nail polish it gets stained. I have had acrylic nails for years now but this has just started happening last 3 months maybe. Seems like the only way to avoid is if i get a darker color. I love my nudes and pastels please help.
View attachment 206838 View attachment 206839
I have tried 3 different manicurist (3 different salons)
Changed up the brands (Gelish, OPI, Shellac)
I have not died hair or painted with anything

Any advice will help, thank you!

If you have been to 3 different techs, used 3 different products and the same thing happens then it must be something related to you, they can't all be having the same problem with different products. You are the only consistent thing in the equation.

You say you are not dyeing your hair but are you using a brunette specific shampoo or conditioner? Are you using fake tan, or gradual tanning body lotion? Do you have a new leather handbag? New black jeans? All of these things have a dye of some decription in them that's causing the issue.

If it was one tech using one product then it could be contaminated, or cheap top coat (they often don't have UV inhibitors so go yellow/brown) but 3 different techs can't all have the same problem with 3 different products.

YES! I am constantly wearing black! How can I stop this from happening? I did not know gel nails are that porous. How can I protect the gel from the dye coming off by clothes?

YES! I am constantly wearing black! How can I stop this from happening? I did not know gel nails are that porous. How can I protect the gel from the dye coming off by clothes?

Well at least you've worked out whats causing it! A soak off gel polish topcoat wilk be porous, it needs to be to allow the soak off. You need a hard gel topcoat that would require 'cracking' with an abrasive before wrapping for soak off.

Do you colour your hair? If you use a semi permanent colour it can transfer when you wash your hair. Dark jeans can do this too. I don’t think here’s a way of avoiding this as gel is porous. This happens to me so Would be interested to know if any gel pros have solutions x

Latest posts

Back