Please help with facials

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebeauty

Reaction score
Hi everyone
My friend has recently opened a beauty salon and wants to start facials so thought about Dermalogica but she wasn't sure if she can sell the products and she can't do the facial without buying thr products as it costs a fortune so she wondered if there is any other facial she can offer. what are everyone's thoughts please.
Also elmis facials or microdermabrasion ; which one is best ?

Hi everyone
My friend has recently opened a beauty salon and wants to start facials so thought about Dermalogica but she wasn't sure if she can sell the products and she can't do the facial without buying thr products as it costs a fortune so she wondered if there is any other facial she can offer. what are everyone's thoughts please.
Also elmis facials or microdermabrasion ; which one is best ?

There is a huge choice on the market for salons deciding on a skincare range- generally therapists are already pretty familiar with a number of different professional ranges so it just comes down to personal choice and whether they are aiming more for the relaxation end or a more clinical range. The costs associated with getting set up with a skincare brand, whilst can be costly to begin with, you quickly make your investment back if you are offering a great treatment and have the client base there.
Elemis facials are completely different to a Microderm treatment- so you couldn't really compare as they are 2 completely different treatments.

She has to think what type of product range she believes in and she will attract the type of clients who have similar beliefs. e.g. is she into organic products? Aromatherapy, holistic or scientific? Does she want a range that's been around a long time and has a name or one that is comparatively little known? Does she want to compete against internet sales/shop sales or even QVC? Will her salon attract high-end customers or middle of the road in terms of retail? As JenBella says, you can't compare 2 very different systems such as Elemis and MDB.

For a small business just starting out dermalogica or elemis are a bit too high risk I feel. You're looking at some serious startup fees.

Elemis and microdermabrasion treatments potentially attract different clients.

If I was a small business starting out I wouldn't get too hung up on getting in retail stock and would be looking at giving facials for relaxation such as skin truth, kaeso, Gérards, Eve Taylor etc. They are all products capable of good results and there is less pressure in terms of there being a high minimum spend.

we used skin truth in college and I have used kaseo as well. if you are just wanting to use the dermalogica for facials the pack you buy for them are around the same price but as others have said to set up for retail will cost you a lot more. u can always use dermalogica for ya facials and hold off on buying for retail

If you buy dermalogica at retail price to use professionally, there's a risk of having narrow profit margins. A retail pack is for personal use and it's not going to go very far so financially it doesn't make sense. It could also be really awkward if you have a client who's a devout dermalogica fan come for a treatment and you've not even got the lamp and skin mapping consultation forms. I fail to see how using a retail pack for professional use would make sense.

I'd look at Eve Taylor and also skinbase microdermabrasion which you can train in and get on pay as you go.
How good the facials are going to be is as much down to her as the products.

Hi Thebeauty,

We can help with microdermabrasion, but as a lot of the others have said it can't be compared to a elemis facial, its considered an advanced treatment. It is great to offer microdermabrasion but it would depend on the price points that the salon will be charging, microderm facials we usually suggest around £30 per treatment.

Let us know if you need any help with this
best regards
Mel :)
Neo elegance

we used skin truth in college and I have used kaseo as well. if you are just wanting to use the dermalogica for facials the pack you buy for them are around the same price but as others have said to set up for retail will cost you a lot more. u can always use dermalogica for ya facials and hold off on buying for retail
Hey there, i was intouch with dermalogica just a few months ago as i am setting up at home too. They told me i had to buy in the full range All in between the body range and facial products it was working out at nearly £2500.
Im now taking on eve taylor to start with, their products are nice on the skin, they have a wide range to suite all skin types and they are affordable for clients to purchase aswell. xx

Hello!

Have you looked at Katherine Daniels Cosmetics - Amazing facials and a fantastic price point!

maybe take a look here - www.katherinedanielscosmetics.com

Kristie x

Latest posts

Back