PLEASE HELP!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beautifulnails03

Reaction score
Okay, I have had my first monthly meeting since I started at the new place and it went okay, but they have taken feedback from customers and these are the following complaints. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

1) When I have done a French Polish my smile lines have not always been perfect. :oops: I apply the white, then touch it up where necessary with some scrub fresh on a brush. I then paint over this when dry with a nice pink of their choice. I read the below thread about smile lines, but following the natural free edge doesn't seem to be working. I thought they were okay but clearly somebody has complained that they are not perfect. :oops: I was thinking of getting some type of stencil to work with, and seem to remember being told that the oval out of a performance form works well? :?

2) One lady apparently complained that when she went home that night she could peel the nail enamel off from her nail. :shock: She said that it may be the Solar Oil that prevented the enamel from sticking to the nail. However, I always remove excess oil from the surface of the nail before applying enamel. This was before I bought Solar Speed drying spray, so I thought that maybe it is because there was a base coat, enamel and top coat on and they hadn't set properly. But one of the lads I work with said it was later that evening and not an hour later so it should have set. :?

3) One lady came in for a re-balance, but she had had the original set done by another technician. The lady herself said she was a nail technician and assured me that they had used Creative products as I was very unsure about doing work on somebody elses nails. I explained the products may not be compatible and that there could be lifting but she said she knew all this and still wanted them doing. :rolleyes: It proved near impossible, but the end result wasn't so bad. However, she told the Lads that I had skill, and was apparently very complimentary about me, but said that I needed to improve my polishing technique, as it should look as though it has been airbrushed on. Would practise make this better? And should you re-balance another technicians work?

4) Apparently my whites on my french polish are thicker than when customers have had them done elsewhere! I haven't noticed this myself, but could that just mean that I need to make sure I rub the bottle in between my hands every time I use it?

5) I did a set of pink and whites on a Lady, and she wanted her nails Almond shape. :shock: I am so used to people requesting square that I hadn't yet practised Almond! :oops: Anyway I thought the end result was quite nice, but this Lady had also done a nail course a few years back, and she was constantly looking at them with an un-easy look. Apparently she complained that one of them was not perfectly shaped. :oops: I think this is something that will come with practise as well though?

6) Finally, when I am doing a file and paint I put on a base coat. polish, and top coat and then spray with speed dry. Should I be spraying with speed dry in between each step?

I really hope you can help be without telling me that I am clearly rubbish and should pack it in now, because this has really thrown me and I have lost my confidence completley. :( They have now suggested that I put my prices down whilst I am starting out to attract more customers and obviously because I am not a Master Technician yet. :rolleyes: Which I must say seems very far from my reach at the moment! :(

I think that knocking your confidence like that stinks!!!!!!!!
When having a meeting like that there should have been some positive feedback and not all negatives. You shouldn`t be putting your prices down, if they don`t like it let them find somewhere else. You have to believe in yourself and you wouldn`t be there if you wasn`t capable, so look up, not down.
You may need some more practice but you also need the staff behind you not against you.
You will always get the odd person looking for faults in your work, that doesn`t mean your work is bad, just not complete perfection but you will get there.
Now I`ve rambled on cos I`m mad and getting madder I`ve completely lost track of what you wanted help with.
I`ll get back to you on that, just don`t let them get you down

It seems that from what you've said that most of your problems are down to your painting techniques. Well sweetie, if that's your biggest problem I'd be thankful. Your painting needs to be perfect, don't get me wrong, but it is solveable (for want of a better word ;) ). Think back to your training and spend an hour or so a night practising and in a very short time you'll be nail perfect :D .

To your question about spraying Solar Speed Spray between each application, the answer is no - only apply at the end allowing a small amount of time after applying topcoat.

All the best
Adele

I`ve had loads of problems with smile lines despite reading the tutorial over and over and over. I now use a tip with micro contact area and not blending it in but using it as a guide, its working for me while I practice getting the hang of it.
I`ve never had polish peeling so I`m afraid I can`t help you with that one, although I wouldn`t have thought it because you had oil left there, wouldn`t that stop polish from going on in the first place?
As for the client that insisted she had creative on her nails before you did a rebalance, I get my clients to sign a waiver if they want me to work on someone elses product, anyone can say they have had the same products, she may not have though.
I also have a thick white with my french polish, its been on a thread here today, not very good at it, need loads of practice on that myself.
Doing a different shape nail won`t take much to do so don`t feel too bad about that either.
I wouldn`t use speed dry between coats of polish either, its oil based isn`t it?

-ack-

What a downer. Did they manage to say anything positive?

Ill see If I can help one point at a time.

beautifulnails03 said:
1) When I have done a French Polish my smile lines have not always been perfect. :oops: I apply the white, then touch it up where necessary with some scrub fresh on a brush. I then paint over this when dry with a nice pink of their choice. I read the below thread about smile lines, but following the natural free edge doesn't seem to be working. I thought they were okay but clearly somebody has complained that they are not perfect. :oops: I was thinking of getting some type of stencil to work with, and seem to remember being told that the oval out of a performance form works well? :?

Screw the stencil. Not to put stencils down... I just think you need to:
A- Get to grips with painting the French, or
B- Let it roll off your back as it may be a pissy impossible to please client.

Don't follow the natural smile line... copy the Cuticle line for the most aesthetically pleasing smile line (actually... go slightly deeper).
I would also recommend trying to lay the pink first and the white afterward. This will help to prevent getting that pinky white sensation that looks a bit blech.

beautifulnails03 said:
2) One lady apparently complained that when she went home that night she could peel the nail enamel off from her nail. :shock: She said that it may be the Solar Oil that prevented the enamel from sticking to the nail. However, I always remove excess oil from the surface of the nail before applying enamel. This was before I bought Solar Speed drying spray, so I thought that maybe it is because there was a base coat, enamel and top coat on and they hadn't set properly. But one of the lads I work with said it was later that evening and not an hour later so it should have set. :?

Are you certain you really Scrubfreshed the nail plate before applying enamel? Did you do a water soak on her first? If yes, that could have contributed to the peeling.
I would suspect there was still quite a bit of oil left on the nail before application if this was the case.
Try Nail Fresh before application for even better results.

beautifulnails03 said:
3) One lady came in for a re-balance, but she had had the original set done by another technician. The lady herself said she was a nail technician and assured me that they had used Creative products as I was very unsure about doing work on somebody else?s nails. I explained the products may not be compatible and that there could be lifting but she said she knew all this and still wanted them doing. :rolleyes: It proved near impossible, but the end result wasn't so bad. However, she told the Lads that I had skill, and was apparently very complimentary about me, but said that I needed to improve my polishing technique, as it should look as though it has been airbrushed on. Would practise make this better? And should you re-balance another technicians work?
If you choose not to rebalance someone else?s work, its going to be difficult trying to build up your own business.
No matter what system they used, it is very important to point out that the techniques previously used may create some potential problems down the road but you will be more than happy to replace any problematic enhancements FOC.
Remember, it's more of the technique than the product that was used.
beautifulnails03 said:
4) Apparently my whites on my French polish are thicker than when customers have had them done elsewhere! I haven't noticed this myself, but could that just mean that I need to make sure I rub the bottle in between my hands every time I use it?
If the enamel is thixotropic than yes, roll it between palms vigorously to thin it. I suspect that the lady who had the peeling and the lady with the thick whites may be one in the same :?
Practice painting French manicures on tips to get the feel of the application. You will be surprised what 15 minutes will do :!:

beautifulnails03 said:
5) I did a set of pink and whites on a Lady, and she wanted her nails Almond shape. :shock: I am so used to people requesting square that I hadn't yet practised Almond! :oops: Anyway I thought the end result was quite nice, but this Lady had also done a nail course a few years back, and she was constantly looking at them with an un-easy look. Apparently she complained that one of them was not perfectly shaped. :oops: I think this is something that will come with practise as well though?
Yes and no. Your clients will respect the amount of confidence you portray in your application.
If you say to her that you have never done an Almond shape, or keep asking her if it looks right... she will have 0 confidence in the fact that you indeed just created a set of Almond nails on her. She will doubt in your ability.
I?m not saying blag it... but doing your job with confidence will prevent nit picking clients that are unsure of a new technician.
beautifulnails03 said:
6) Finally, when I am doing a file and paint I put on a base coat. polish, and top coat and then spray with speed dry. Should I be spraying with speed dry in between each step?
Nope.
That will make the enamel either bubble or peel. Apply base, 2 colour, 1 top and wait at least 1 minute... spray and enamel will set in 3 minutes.

Don't be so hard on yourself.
Doubt only breeds doubt. Don't lower your prices... All you will do is cheapen your own work. Focus on the areas in which you need to improve and throw your all into improving them.

That is the way to become a Master Artist even without the classes.

They did say that clients are more likely to mention negative things rather than positives.

I didn't water soak and I always scrub fresh. And I never told the Lady that I hadn't done that shape before, but she may have been able to sense it, as I was quite nervous. As for applying the speed spray, I apply it as you said but I was just concerned that maybe I had been doing it wrong and that was why it had peeled off?

I for some reason thought it takes 24 hours for enamel to fully set? Or have I mistaken that with acrylic?

beautifulnails03 said:
They did say that clients are more likely to mention negative things rather than positives.
Especially if they are asking for feeback on a 'new technician'.

beautifulnails03 said:
I for some reason thought it takes 24 hours for enamel to fully set? Or have I mistaken that with acrylic?

You are thinking of L&P... Enamel can take hours to cure... but not that long.
Hmmm... maybe get a bottle of Nail Fresh for natural nail overlays... still sounds a bit suspect though.
I have never heard of clients enamel sheeting off within 24 hours if SF was used.

Anyhooo.... Dont give in... kick some butocks.

Right BN03,
Firstly don't take this all to much to heart, it's a monthly meeting not a hearing at the Old Baily, we have them all the time and believe you me, there is always something that can be improved on, so they tell me lol lol lol.
Look at it as constructive criticism and not a naughty child being told off.

Reply to Point 1.
Take it as a learning curve, I would.................
You agree that your french are not always perfect, so practice doing your smile line in one movement, if I don't get it right I just wipe mine of and start again lol, my clients have got used to it and think I am just a perfectionist lol.

Reply to point 2.
So the varnish peeled off.
Maybe she has an oily nail plate, maybe use a different basecoat ??
Maybe some traces of solar oil where left on the nail plate??
In future just double wipe lol.
Solar speed doesn't cause varnish to lift, it help's it to set.
But then there is another thought, did she have a nice long soak in the bath ??? That can cause the nail polish to peel. So this might not even be your fault................

Reply to point 3.
Again it's your polishing skill they are referring to.
As for nail polish to look like it has been airbrushed on, well mine doesn't, it looks like it been polished lol.
Airbrushing paint is much thinner and is a totaly different look.
Yes I rebalance other Techs work, and there is no problem in doing so unless they have MMA then I would just send them back to where they had it done in the first place, with an MMA info sheet in their hand lol
You did well with this Lady, explained all the pro and cons and she told ya to go ahead and that you had skill........... That is a point in your favour.....

Reply to point 4.
You need to get the varnish moving in the bottle before you use it on clients. It's like opening a can of paint and just dipping your brush in, soon you would just have gloopy stuff in the bottom.
so gently shake or roll it , to get those little ball bearings to do their stuff, they are the little stirrers of the varnish world lol. Like a wooden spoon in a tin of paint lol.
Also I am not a big fan but you can get polish thinners, if the polish looks gloopy add a few drops and again get those little balls moving babe........

Reply to point 5.
Yes practice makes perfect, and when you have a client that has done a nail course, it makes it harder to please them. In future just ask them after you have finished shaping them.....Now how does that look to you, is that ok ???? It gives her a chance to voice her opinion and you a chance to correct your work, also you can then say at the next meeting....... Well I did ask and she seemed pleased with the work when she left me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to point 6.
Solar Speed is the last thing you do, not in between that could cause lifting of the polish as it is slightly oily in finish!!!!!!!!!!!!

So all in all there are only a couple of things you could improve on thats your French Polish, well and thats not bad is it?????
Now if they had complained about nails pinging of all over the place, overlays lifting, pocket lifting aso , then you would have to look at all your skills.
Filing the nails into an almond shape, so practice on a nail tip lol
the other thing I would suggest is, always ask your client if they are happy with the service they have just received. That way the problem comes to you direct and is not saved up for a monthly meeting.
When you have your meetings , at least you will be able to tell them, that no client has complained to you direct and any complains should be dealt with there and then and not be put on a monthly agenda.
As for putting your prices down, no I wouldn't, just tell them if and when a complaint comes in , you will make good there and then.........

Take heart babe, some just try it on to see how much money they can get off next time they come in.......
This happened to Faye and I told her the same thing, don't wait a week to complain come in right away and we will sort it out, all part of a good efficient service...
CLIENT TO TECHNICIAN COMMUNICATION IS A MUST

Lots of love and huggs you need one {{{{{{{{hugg}}}}}}
Ruth xxxxx

I think that is what they have been doing. It has made me feel quite weary of them. :? I don't like the thought of them talking to my customers about me, even though the feedback will help me. I know they need to decide whether or not it is a good idea to have me there but it has made me feel belittled. :(

Your advice is good, and I think I just need to get some sleep and prepare for my next day, as instead of signing a contract they have decided that another months trial period is best! :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back