Please if you are not a professional then be careful how you reply.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
really good thread, however I have never given advice for HAIR or SKIN because I dont know the 1st thing about them! I mean I know how to pop my own hair up and make it look nice and also i can do my own make-up and so on... but what girl cant?? But I would never give advise on any subject on something that i am not qualified to, Nails are my thing and i just usually stay on that side of the site its not to oftern i stray over to the other parts unless i'm really bored and i have read all the threads on the Nail Site! Sorry for rambling i hope that i made sence?!

I am not too sure what the hair forum is for , what I mean is if you go to the nail geek section and want to know something its usually
professional to professional questions ,

but the hair section seems to be different.

There seems to be no professionals asking each other professional questions or advice ,:eek:

so could someone clarify ?

is it for professional to professional questions and answers like the nail geek section ?

or is it an advice column for all general hair questions ?

thank you in advance :hug: x

I am not too sure what the hair forum is for , what I mean is if you go to the nail geek section and want to know something its usually
professional to professional questions ,

but the hair section seems to be different.

There seems to be no professionals asking each other professional questions or advice ,:eek:

so could someone clarify ?

is it for professional to professional questions and answers like the nail geek section ?

or is it an advice column for all general hair questions ?

thank you in advance :hug: x

Its for...

Professionals discussing all aspects of the hair industry

to be used as you would the Nails and Skin forums...HTH

Everyones entilted to post a message on here even you think they are not profesionnal maybe to them-selves they are

Everyones entilted to post a message on here even you think they are not profesionnal maybe to them-selves they are

Everybody is entitled to post but we have to draw the line when they are giving advice that could do more harm than good - i.e. incorrect advice to solve a clients problem. This is very damaging to all us professionals when this is done.

But their loads of Beauty therapists/Hairdresers out there that dont do things as they should but we can't all feel responsible for other peoples actions even though its means when you say your occupation people can judge you. I just think you should only worry about yourself as long as what you do and believe is right thats the main thing

But their loads of Beauty therapists/Hairdresers out there that dont do things as they should but we can't all feel responsible for other peoples actions even though its means when you say your occupation people can judge you. I just think you should only worry about yourself as long as what you do and believe is right thats the main thing

I agree that there therapist out there that dont do things they should but if somebody gave advice on here that was incorrect then I think we would be letting our industry down if we didnt give correct info out.

It doesnt have to be done in a negative way so no body would be offended and the person giving the advice would benefit from this too.

I agree that there therapist out there that dont do things they should but if somebody gave advice on here that was incorrect then I think we would be letting our industry down if we didnt give correct info out.

It doesnt have to be done in a negative way so no body would be offended and the person giving the advice would benefit from this too.
Absolutely :green:

The whole point of us asking that professionals reply to the Hair, Nail and Skin forums is so that we don't get too many 'opinion only' posts and not enough 'professional' replies... it's no good someone asking which volume developer to use with a certain brand of colour and to get someone answering them with the wrong information due to the fact that they 'dabble' in colouring but aren't qualified enough to give a correct and informative reply...

Here's what I consider to be the most important parts of Sassy's initial post on this thread...
What I have noticed more and more is how non pro's are answering in other forums that they are not qualified in and giving advice that is from a consumer point of view and NOT a professional point of view. This is undermining everything that the professionals are trying to achieve; trying to educate people about the merits of salon v non-salon, and we the Mods are getting more and more complaints about it.

So please, whilst I know you are answering in the best of intentions, try and give advice in the forums you are trained in and leave the other areas that you aren't to those who are.

This thread is not intended to be in anyway telling people how they can and can't post, or trying to regiment the site, or makes it a site where it is full of rules and you can't do this that and the other. Neither is it pointing the finger at anyone as I am probably as guilty as the next person, but when we are hearing that Hair geeks, for example, won't use the Hair forum because well meaning untrained people are giving unqualified advice then I think it is time to get over the honeymoon period and get down to what this site is about - a forum for professionals.
Happy Geeking peeps :D

I orignaly came here because I was training to do nails however I found it hard. I'm trained in Holistic therapys I still continue to come here as I do not know of anywhere else to get advice that I need.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately as there are professionals on here giving incorrect advice . It's not always so easy to jump in say 'actually you're wrong, because what ever way you wrap it up, we all take offence.

A way around it would be to say that it's from personal experience or 'in my opinion'.

My biggest gripe is when geeks copy and paste from Google and then try to pass it off as their own work. It's always soooo obvious that it isn't.

Agreed about professionals giving wrong advice, although I'm sure most of the time they believe they are right, just misguided. I've had clients tell me all sorts of ludicrous things they've been told by therapists, some of the time causing me to have to stifle a laugh. This is especially the case in skincare - I had to study dermatology & so forth as part of my HND (I'm quite lucky to have a dermatologist as a client who also keeps me up to date), and when I hear some of the things my clients have been told I do despair!

I don't know how guilty I am of this. And I'm going to do my best not to sound defensive, because I'm relatively new to the forum and just now found this thread.

I'm a professional in a related, crossover field: I create handcrafted nail art canes. My canes are distributed worldwide through suppliers and distributors, salons, and nail geeks. Some of the geeks here on this forum are my customers, and can attest to the quality of my product.

I know I haven't given any advice on beauty products or their application, with the exception of my own product.

With that being said, I know I've probably given personal advice. To someone preparing for a license testing, I've given advice to get a good night's rest before the test, eat well, get enough water, then smile, and take deep breaths during the test. I don't need to be a professional in her field to share this advice: it's common sense.

To someone experiencing issues with a client, I've given my opnion on how to treat them with respect, and at the same time to respect their own integrity and value as a trained professional. I don't presume to tell them how to run their business, but I do know something about courtesy and self-respect.

So, in my opinion, the lines blur a bit. I completely agree with the common sense approach, though I've been known to exhibit less common sense than I should have, at times.

Personally - I'd rather be called on it when I offer bad advice. It's the whole "toilet paper on your shoe" or "broccoli in your teeth" kind of thing. If no one approached me and told me I were wrong... how would I learn that I was, in fact, misinformed or misinterpreted what I'd learned?

Latest posts

Back