Please if you are not a professional then be careful how you reply.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sassy Hassy

Reaction score
Now a lot of you will know that before the Salon Geek, this forum was known as the Nail Geek and was a forum for Nail professionals and aspiring wannabes. Now we are the Salon Geek incorporating hair and nails and so we are "the salon professionals community" It has taken a while for us naily bods to get used to the other forums and I think that now they do fit in altogether and the "Salon" idea is finally tucked into bed nicely!

However I think now is the time to start putting the emphasis on the word Professionals.

FOR EXAMPLE, in the nail forum we pride ourselves on our ability to make sure that true, factual and best practice is achieved. If someone dares mention DIY (ie rio kits), or using non pro products (olive oil instead of a proper cuticle oil), or OTC products (Sally Hansen for example) we quickly correct them and ensure that the BEST PROFESSIONAL advice is given.

What I have noticed more and more is how non pro's are answering in other forums that they are not qualified in and giving advice that is from a consumer point of view and NOT a professional point of view. This is undermining everything that the professionals are trying to achieve; trying to educate people about the merits of salon v non-salon, and we the Mods are getting more and more complaints about it.

So please, whilst I know you are answering in the best of intentions, try and give advice in the forums you are trained in and leave the other areas that you aren't to those who are.

The other thing I have noticed is how people are asking for personal help about hairstyles and colour, skincare, and nailcare (although less so). This is NOT something that can be done over the net. For proper Pro advice you HAVE to go into a salon ... and this is the advice that a professional will give.

This thread is not intended to be in anyway telling people how they can and can't post, or trying to regiment the site, or makes it a site where it is full of rules and you can't do this that and the other. Neither is it pointing the finger at anyone as I am probably as guilty as the next person, but when we are hearing that Hair geeks, for example, won't use the Hair forum because well meaning untrained people are giving unqualified advice then I think it is time to get over the honeymoon period and get down to what this site is about - a forum for professionals.

Many thanks for reading and Happy Geeking

(BTW I put this in chit chat as I couldn't think which forum it should go in, and didn't want to have to put it in all 3 Pro forums)

Guilty as charged.. Its just in my nature to give advice.. you dont think about it from anothers point of view and your right.. a proffesional puts alot of time and effort into what they do and im sure its frustrating as hell to have novice's cramming the threads!!
The lines were a bit blurred for me.. but thanks for clearing it up! :green:
Its a case of giving friendly advice and not thinking twice that it may be upsetting to someone else.. so im sorry about that!

I am with you on this one Sass and think it is something that we do need to be reminded on every now and again.

I am sure I have been guilty of giving my opinion on somethings I am not qualified in or expert in, but if we think about it, with a site full of so many professionals there is no need for us to give personal opinions on things that all the professionals on here have more than enough ability to give factual advice on - or know when a referral is needed.

Well done for making it a sticky too.

What you have said, and how you have said it makes a lot of sense. I guess the problem arose as before Salon Geek, if anyone had a Q about hair or skin they would put it in chit chat and people would reply with there own personal, not professional experience, so we have carried on doing so.

You are right though, now this is a professional forum for nails, skin and hair then it is only right that we keep the advise professional.

Good thread Sass

I think this thread was definetly needed.

I have noticed that in nail threads it is clearly pointed out that we do not reccommend OTC products, DIY kits etc and this should be the same for the skin & hair forums.

I do sympathise with hair geeks as I have noticed that they seem to get the most DIY threads and what I really can't get my head round is that we are all professionals in our own field eg mine is beauty therapy yet I still use professional hair products and if the roles were reveresed I would use professional skincare products.

I am guilty of this also, giving advice in an area i am not qualified.
I suppose its because like hope says before the site became salon geek and was only nail geek we would chit chat amongs ourselves about consumer products we use on our hair, skin etc and makeup, and its hard to take a step back from that, but i will do now and can see where you are coming from sass x

I don't think I am guilty as I have only been doing nails for a year, and I am still learning, so I don't feel very comfortable on giving advice, if someone is looking for something and I have seen it or used it I will let them know.

But good thread I would hate for someone to give me advice and its not the right advice and end up doing something that goes really wrong, if you know what I mean even if it was in the best of intentions.

Excellent thread Sassy....a good reminder to us all, and put in your usual diplomatic style.

Good points made Sass, I must admit I tend to reply from a client point of perspective from time to time in the Nail forum but not often and I am training also. I'll be more mindful :hug:

Couldn't have said it better Sass :D

Thank you for the reminder ....I'm sure I'm guilty of it and I'm sorry for that .....

I read allot of threads from the other forums... as I'm just nosing around ......but rarely answer as I'm only a nail geek .....
But I can see your point ........

Thank you sass!!! Well said, giving advice on something from your own experence when not fully knowing what you are talking about and what additiional info is needed for a decision can cause more problems then solved.

Besides its hard enough with in our profession being underminded by other professionals and keeping cilents educated

sorry computer went weird

Yep totally agree if your not a professional then learn from the post rather than give wrong advice :)

So is it still the case that OTC products can be discussed in Chit Chat?? You know the 'has anyone tried this wrinkle cream?' etc. type of thread???

So is it still the case that OTC products can be discussed in Chit Chat?? You know the 'has anyone tried this wrinkle cream?' etc. type of thread???

I hope we can as with this many women in one place its nice to share beauty tips and the such...

I think there is a line between professional and DIY/OTC.....that sometimes gets taken too serious.

If someone asks how do you plat hair...or other home styling then i don't think see why the answers should only come from the professional hairdressers....I can plat hair very well..:green:

If someone asks about cuts/colours/perms then sure that should be left to professionals.

Likewise.......someone asks about nail enamel....you don't have to be a professional to paint your own nails...(otherwise we wouldn't retail it, would we)

So i think there is a line...and IMO the difference is common sense.

I hope we can as with this many women in one place its nice to share beauty tips and the such...

I think there is a line between professional and DIY/OTC.....that sometimes gets taken too serious.

If someone asks how do you plat hair...or other home styling then i don't think see why the answers should only come from the professional hairdressers....I can plat hair very well..:green:

If someone asks about cuts/colours/perms then sure that should be left to professionals.

Likewise.......someone asks about nail enamel....you don't have to be a professional to paint your own nails...(otherwise we wouldn't retail it, would we)

I agree this is common sense and that is why it is fine to have these discussions in the Chit Chat forum but I think the point is that while we can discuss things in a cafe with our mates about what works for them, it would be a different discussion if we went to a salon and were asking our hairdresser or beauty therapist.

I think that is the difference. If you had a nail client sitting in front of you at your nail table and she was chatting to her friend at the next table, how would we feel if they were discussing what is best for their nails and not including us or even contradicting us.

I hope that makes sense.

That's what I was getting at Angie, and you've put it really well...... Common sense will hopefully rule!!

That's what I was getting at Angie, and you've put it really well...... Common sense will hopefully rule!!

Let's hope so!

Maybe just think if someone came on here and asked about stick on nails - this is not professional and should be in chit chat where anyone can reply with their experiences. However if someone is posting in the main forum where they really need professional help then leave it to the pro's - personal unqualified opinion and advice of what has worked for one individual is not what could work for another, and could in some cases do more harm than good!

Like I say it's not a question of imposing rules, it's about each of us showing respect for another's profession and letting the professionals do what they are good at.

(BTW I am crap at plaiting hair!!!)

I have just looked in the hair forum and felt this thread needed bumping (even though it's a stickey lol ) iykwim

Latest posts

Back