Please learn by my mistakes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaseyboi

Reaction score
Hi All

I have been lurking on this site for while now & think its about time I told you all about my story on how I now have to re- train as a nail tech & hopfuly some of the newbie's can read this & learn by my mistake(s).

About 2 year ago my friend & I met for a coffee in town & she decided to have her nails done & would I like to tag along. we visited a salon & I sat & watched the tech do a fab set of l&p sculpts & BANG I was absolutly blown away with what I had seen & made my mind up that this was the carreer choice for me. I went home & searched on line for training courses in my local area. Stupidly I chose the cheapist course avalible (about £300 for a 2 day course) & booked it. I was soooo excited & when the day arrived for me to attend I was ecstatic. The course was in a training room in an office block with about 6 or 7 stations for students. The tutor (I use this term losely) started off by welcoming as to the company & told us what to expect on the course. She quickly demonstrated prep & then we were to start tipping up our models. the products we were using were in plain unmarked containers & bottles & were told it was the companies own brand & we can order kits/supplies from them. The funny thing was she would do a demo & then walk out of the room for ages & return to "see how we were doining?" On the second day we were to continue to do what she had showed us (which was not a lot) & at the end of the day she had all of our certificates printed & ready to give us as we left. after a few days or practising my little heart out I still could not create anything that looked like a nail so decided to ring up the company for some advice. I was told that if I need some more training then I needed to book to go on the next foundation course (another £300):eek: as I must not have been paying attention. So I rebooked & went again & yes you guesed it. The same crappy training method as before. I asked the tutor after that I still think I need more help but she said all I needed was to go home & practise. After a while I started to just about manage to do a simple white tip clear overlay in l&p. I then discoved online the tip & dip system & thought fab with this system all my probs would be over. Booked to do the conversion course & had the educator come to my home (about £200ish for the day) Well I thought this was the best thing since sliced bread. I COULD DO NAILS YIPEEEEE. after a bit of practise my partner & I decided that we could afford for me to open a small salon using this system & so we did. BIG MISTAKE!!!!! I lasted about 3 months & because I was rubbish I had more complaints then I could handel so as no money was comming in I was forced to close shop. This broke my heart & distroyed my conifidece BIG TIME. But its not all bad I now am starting again with decent training with a decent company (I hope) & will continue to do so untill I am happy with my work. The point of me posting this is so all the newbie's that think they can do a cheap little course & then be able to trade as a pro YOU ARE WRONG. Please PLEASE chose a good company for your training as this will set you on the right track at the begining & save you a lot of time & money & ensure you are the best you can be

HTH

Thank you so much for being brave enough to admit this. The same thing happened to me and i paid to go on a 1 DAY course! Of course, i didn't know any better and it was only when i discovered this site that i realised how little i really knew. I fully agree with you when you say to avoid the cheaper course, it really is money wasted.

People come on the site every day and ask for advice about training and 99% ask for CHEAP training ...

You tell them the risks, you explain why it is stupid, you tell them that they will loose money hand over fist and they still don't listen.

Don't know what people are thinking about when they ask for advice and then ignore it but there you are ... with that sort of mentality you know they are never going to be able to run a business.

People come on the site every day and ask for advice about training and 99% ask for CHEAP training ...

You tell them the risks, you explain why it is stupid, you tell them that they will loose money hand over fist and they still don't listen.

Don't know what people are thinking about when they ask for advice and then ignore it but there you are ... with that sort of mentality you know they are never going to be able to run a business.

Well Gigi as they say you can lead the horse but you can't make it drink:)

I have learned the hard way & it's cost me more money than I care to mention & also my reputation. I now have to spend more money on education & hope I have picked a decent company. I so would love to use CND but as understand no weekend courses & I have no more holiday time this year from work:cry: I plan to keep having 121 training to grasp the basics & then next year in Jan look to book with CND for conversion/Sculpt work shop & anything else I feel I need help with.

Thankyou so much for all the support you have offered:hug:

ATTENTION ALL NEWBIE'S please listen to this lady as she is the orical of the nail world

an excellent post and a warning to all who think they will be an overnight success.

hope things are now progressing in the right direction. i think you have the right attitude now and the only way is up.:hug:

excellent thread. what comes across is your drive and desire and make it work. susan is right, with the right training, drive and commitment ( which you seem to have by the bucket load) the only way is up.

I admire your commitment to succeed and i wish you all the best.

tigi
xx

Hi there,
Ive posted a couple of times on here already but this story really does ring true with me.

Im a newbie and having completed a 1 week course I feel I know only slightly more than I did before I started.

Like you all the products were in plain bottles and jars and I was told I could buy all the kits from them (which I did - acrylic, uv gel and fibreglass - quite costly!).

It slowly dawned on me during my week that they werent exactly tutoring me - the tutor spent more time out of the room than in it and she only witnessed me do 2 fingers on the practice hand.

Ive now signed up to do CND conversion course (which I hope Im even half good enough for) next week in Birmingham and in the meantime am practicing on my trainer hand at home. Im sort of in limbo really as Ive already set up my spare room as a little nail studio however have no confidence to go and get any clients as Im so rubbish.

These courses really should be banned!

Hi there,
Ive posted a couple of times on here already but this story really does ring true with me.

Im a newbie and having completed a 1 week course I feel I know only slightly more than I did before I started.

Like you all the products were in plain bottles and jars and I was told I could buy all the kits from them (which I did - acrylic, uv gel and fibreglass - quite costly!).

It slowly dawned on me during my week that they werent exactly tutoring me - the tutor spent more time out of the room than in it and she only witnessed me do 2 fingers on the practice hand.

Ive now signed up to do CND conversion course (which I hope Im even half good enough for) next week in Birmingham and in the meantime am practicing on my trainer hand at home. Im sort of in limbo really as Ive already set up my spare room as a little nail studio however have no confidence to go and get any clients as Im so rubbish.

These courses really should be banned!

Im in this possition too. I have a beautiful home studio all ready & speared no expense on it. My partner made me a beautiful station from scratch even rounding off one end of it but it's a waste as I have no skills to use it. You dont have to be a good skilled tech to train with CND its their job (& pasison) to teach you the skills you need. You will be well looked after with CND & will reach your goal with them. It's such a shame that some companies think they can take your money & think what they offer is ok. Chin up & after your CND course you will feel loads more positive & be well on the way. Remember you will need more than one course if you are goining to be the tech you want to be. It's an investment in yourself & your business. & will need regular sessions with your educator. The money you spend on education will be made back 100 times over when you are offering a super service at top end prices

Good luck:hug:

Hi all,

I just wanted to add to this,i did a 1 year course with a recognised local college, and i recieved the same kind of training.

All we did for 3-4 month was manicure after manicure, because there was no tutor to teach Acrylic. Then in between we did pedicure twice, and left it at that. All in all we had about 2 month with Acrylic, fibreglass.

The tutor, never paid attention to what we did, and kept saying she hates doing acrylics.

I passed the course, coz i was determind to get it right. But im not happy with the training, as there is no back up from them.

I am looking into more training with NSI this year.

Good luck to everyone!

I am currently doing an acrylic nails course at our local college and although I love it I know the tuition is rubbish and I have got a LOT to learn :cry:
I am trying to save so that I can do a cnd course in the new year. I dont want to give up on it as I enjoy it so much.
Im determined to be good:lol:

I am currently doing an acrylic nails course at our local college and although I love it I know the tuition is rubbish and I have got a LOT to learn :cry:
I am trying to save so that I can do a cnd course in the new year. I dont want to give up on it as I enjoy it so much.
Im determined to be good:lol:

If you enjoy nails so much then im sure you will find away to save your pennies. A good litlte tip on saving that I use is those tin money boxes you need to open with a tin opener. Works every time for me & I've paid for a holiday using them

HTH

Bravo to you for owning up and for sharing your experience. I look at it this way - would I want a company who took the cheapest training they could find to build my house, my car, my plumbing, my electric wiring?? The list goes on and on - and I don't see much difference because my nails are part of my body and I want them well cared for and healthy!

Bravo to you for owning up and for sharing your experience. I look at it this way - would I want a company who took the cheapest training they could find to build my house, my car, my plumbing, my electric wiring?? The list goes on and on - and I don't see much difference because my nails are part of my body and I want them well cared for and healthy!

I could'nt agree more:hug: However back when this happend I was unaware that this could happen I just thought that all courses were the same. Boy was I wrong lol. Well I have learned by my mistake's & currantly talking to my local CND educator about what sort of help I need & putting together a series of 121 courses to bring me up to the level of quality I need.

Latest posts

Back