Please let me know what I'm doing wrong

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natashakim

Reaction score
Here is a link to my website - www.splashofbeauty.co.uk

Please take a look at my pictures and let me know whats wrong with the nails please.

I need help from anyone who can tell me what im doing right or wrong as i need to get better.

Thank you to anyone who helps me.

Why do you think your doing something wrong?
You havent really elaborated in your post?
Im not an enhancment tech but they look nice to me :biggrin:

Hiya

I really don't like criticising because it's as if I think I'm perfect lol and I don't!

But anyway, from what I can see, the two areas that immediately struck me where I think they could be improved would be the width (I would taper them so they were a little more elegant looking and more flattering and elongating to the hands), also your pink to white ratio - I think there's too much white, although after a fill they would look a lot better.

If you don't want to place the tips higher up because of shorter nailbeds, it might be worth having a look at some camouflage pinks to visually increase the length of the nailbed. Personally I like the white to be an absolute maximum of a third of the nail.

But they are nicely shaped and finished and all look like "brothers and sisters" - don't be too hard on yourself! Hope this helps a bit x

Why do you think your doing something wrong?
You havent really elaborated in your post?
Im not an enhancment tech but they look nice to me :biggrin:

Because they aren't lasting. Only one of those sets have lasted over a week.

They may look nice but the technical side its not good :(

Thanks for your reply though x

There is a proper nail critique thread that you can post on and people will advise you, it looks quite good and might be worth you doing. I haven't been on it myself but definitely will when I start training x

Because they aren't lasting. Only one of those sets have lasted over a week.

They may look nice but the technical side its not good :(

Thanks for your reply though x

Ah, right, so it isn't just about what they look like then. We may be experienced techs but it just isn't possible to look at pictures of nails and say why they aren't lasting lol . . . where did you train?

Maybe you could talk us through your prep procedure, and let us know what products you're using - we'll have something to go on then.

Hiya

I really don't like criticising because it's as if I think I'm perfect lol and I don't!

But anyway, from what I can see, the two areas that immediately struck me where I think they could be improved would be the width (I would taper them so they were a little more elegant looking and more flattering and elongating to the hands), also your pink to white ratio - I think there's too much white, although after a fill they would look a lot better.

If you don't want to place the tips higher up because of shorter nailbeds, it might be worth having a look at some camouflage pinks to visually increase the length of the nailbed. Personally I like the white to be an absolute maximum of a third of the nail.

But they are nicely shaped and finished and all look like "brothers and sisters" - don't be too hard on yourself! Hope this helps a bit x

I appriciate your help thank you.

I do agree with the fact that my c curve isn't brilliant i feel as if the tips i am using, i can't do much to them after i glue them down.

I have been told that i am not putting on enough gel on the stress area which is proberly why the tips are coming away from the nail.

I have started using the product Naio, has any one heard any thing from this company/make.

Thank you again.

I am using Naio

File tip of nail
File top of nail to take away the shine
Apply nail dehydrator
Glue tip on nail, (the tip i use doesn't have the well so i am placing it where i think is best)
I file to top to take away the shine
Apply base coat, cure for 2 mins
Apply building gel, cure for 2 mins, cap edge
Apply building gel down the centre of the nail to creat a thinker stress line, cure for 2 mins, cap edge
Take away tacky residue
File the edges and smooth the nail.
Apply top coat and cap.

This is my process for gel tips.

Gel overlay -

File tip of nail
File top of nail to take away the shine
Apply nail dehydrator
Apply base coat, cure for 2 mins
Apply Building gel, cure for 2 mins
Apply building gel, cure for 2 mins
Apply top coat, cure for 2 mins

Thanks xxx

Sorry, thought you just wanted people to look at them and advise. Good luck xx

Sorry not heard of Naio before.

What made you choose them out of interest?

And I'm dying to know WHICH of those sets lasted the longest - if i had to guess I'd say it was maybe the ones on the red towel? lol bet I'm wrong though!

Just going to have a study of your procedure to see if I can help x

Where did you get your website done, I think its lovely :)

OK here goes, this is what strikes me first

You don't mention cuticle removal? If you don't remove all the cuticle it can affect the adhesion of the enhancement product

You don't mention primer - maybe your system doesn't have one though

Use a 240 grit file for the natural nail to avoid thinning - you probably do this already though

When glueing the tips, give extra attention to the "wings" to make sure they are fully adhered

I cap the edges of my gel nails with each layer

You mentioned the stress area - if you press lightly on the end of the nail, the stress area is the area which turns pale (sorry, not meaning to teach you to suck eggs lol, just clarifying) - so this is the area to put most product, which should then taper off towards the cuticle and sidewalls

Keep all gel totally off eponychium and sidewalls, if in touches it WILL lift quite quickly

Don't let clients have their nails too long - my rule is a maximum of half as much again as their nail bed

Try to get a good shape with your gel product as the less you file the finished nail, the better really

Also make sure your bulbs are ok and its not just that the gel isn't curing properly

What sort of lamp do you have? Are all fingers exposed to enough UV light?

This isn't necessarily everything but what I'm thinking of off the top of my head. Hope it helps a bit x

I have seen a lot of their videos on YouTube and a judge that judges nails in England and Europe is basically the founder of this product, so I figure if they are using it, why can't I.

The way I was taught was to use the pen nail dehydrator, is this no correct, and yes sorry I do use a nail scraper to remove the cuticle.

The uv light is new I only received it on Wednesday, it came in my set from Nail.

The set that has lasted longest is the one hand with the redish back ground, the one that hasn't last two days is the one with the grey back ground .

I just don't want to keep dissapointing clients.

Www.vistaprint.com

That's where I did my website x

Did you train with Naio as well? If Naio taught you to just use a pen dehydrator then that's what should work with their product.

The trouble with competition nails is that they don't have to last longer than the competition. Salon nails with longevity are a different ball game.

OK , so defo not bulbs then, nice new lamp.

Do you use a cuticle removing product with your scraper? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to help x

Did you train with Naio as well? If Naio taught you to just use a pen dehydrator then that's what should work with their product.

The trouble with competition nails is that they don't have to last longer than the competition. Salon nails with longevity are a different ball game.

OK , so defo not bulbs then, nice new lamp.

Do you use a cuticle removing product with your scraper? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to help x

I didn't train with Naio, i trained with a no name brand, but then got a small pot of gel after my training which is now finished.

Naio isn't a competion make they use it in their salon.

I am not using cuticle remover, i think i shall be using that from now on.

The gel overlays i did, i did a manicure before hand so i used cuticle remover for that. Maybe her nails were dry enough? i dont know :(

Beyond what the others have said, it appears to me that your tips are not sized correctly.

The tips look too big

I trained with nsi products then started to use naio and my nails started to go wrong! I didn't get on with naio at all I found it cheap and nasty. I went back to nsi and had no problems at all and then I trained with cnd and again no problems. I love cnd products as the quality is 100% better than naio.

It could be your teqnique but it also could be the product :)

I didn't train with Naio, i trained with a no name brand, but then got a small pot of gel after my training which is now finished.

Naio isn't a competion make they use it in their salon.

I am not using cuticle remover, i think i shall be using that from now on.

The gel overlays i did, i did a manicure before hand so i used cuticle remover for that. Maybe her nails were dry enough? i dont know :(

If you use a cuticle remover you should be very sure to cleanse it all away or remnants of it on the nail plate can hinder adhesion.

I don't know if your manicure that you did prior to the gels involved soaking the nails? Personally this is not something I would ever do before enhancements and I prefer a dry prep.

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of it - with your salon opening in 2 weeks you need to crack this xx

(btw are you offering other beauty treatments in your salon as well as nails?)

Are you touching the cuticle or sidewall with product or putting the product on too thin? Pretty basic I know but these mistakes are what I've been taught are most likely to cause enhancements to come off. Good luck. Lovely site... I use vistaprint too. :)

Latest posts

Back