Please read the whole thread first

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABSann

Reaction score
Goodness well I know this subject has been broached several times since I have been a member and I KNOW 'm not a mod but PLEASE read the replies to a thread before posting:eek:

There is a thread tonight...well,it's been going on for a couple of days now,and loads of us have given advice,yet someone has said all what has already been said,then added that she hopes she hasn't offended anyyone by her comments.well,no you havn't because we have already said the exact same thing.

I dont want to be rude but please......read what has already been posted.Sorry again:green:

I gotta agree with you on this one........ but only part way..

Why?

When a thread reaches 3 and 4 pages long, I only skim... reading bits here and there. Otherwise, I'd never have enough time to enjoy the site, if I read every single one.

Sorry :confused: Does that make me a bad person?

:Scared:

I gotta agree with you on this one........ but only part way..

Why?

When a thread reaches 3 and 4 pages long, I only skim... reading bits here and there. Otherwise, I'd never have enough time to enjoy the site, if I read every single one.

Sorry :confused: Does that make me a bad person?

:Scared:
Yes it does:green::hug::green:
Seriously, to skim through pages when someone is asking a specific question is inadvisable because I think you really do need to know what else has been posted.
However, if it is a lighthearted thread, I don't think it really matters too much

Going by the votes on this poll from last year, we all mainly do read all of the thread....but the comments are a different matter!!!!http://www.salongeek.com/chit-chat/39840-how-do-you-read-thread.html

I don't think I have seen the thread you have referred to BabsAnn, but I read a short thread the other day and on post 3 it was asking questions, and yet all the information was there in the initial thread starters post :irked: and I thought Did you even read past the title?????

That said the initial post was long and difficult to read because there were no paragraphs!!!

So Posters....make your post easy on the eye and easy to read, please,
and readers....please read all the posts....even Adele the Dictators!! sometimes she does make sense :lol:

Going by the votes on this poll from last year, we all mainly do read all of the thread....but the comments are a different matter!!!!http://www.salongeek.com/chit-chat/39840-how-do-you-read-thread.html

I don't think I have seen the thread you have referred to BabsAnn, but I read a short thread the other day and on post 3 it was asking questions, and yet all the information was there in the initial thread starters post :irked: and I thought Did you even read past the title?????

That said the initial post was long and difficult to read because there were no paragraphs!!!

So Posters....make your post easy on the eye and easy to read, please,
and readers....please read all the posts....even Adele the Dictators!! sometimes she does make sense :lol:

There it is in writing - its official:lol::lol::lol:

This is something which really irks me too.

Especially when the post has been answered then someone else says the exact same thing but they are the one who gets the "credit" for giving the answer - helloooo I said that two days ago LOL.

As to skim reading 4 pages, TBH I would actually assume that after 4 pages of information, there was probably nothing else of import that I could add - on this occasion I would probably skim read the names of the posters rather than the thread before even thinking about rereading and then posting LOL.

Also as well as reading posts, use the search facility as there is so much great information here.

This is something which really irks me too.

Especially when the post has been answered then someone else says the exact same thing but they are the one who gets the "credit" for giving the answer - helloooo I said that two days ago LOL.

As to skim reading 4 pages, TBH I would actually assume that after 4 pages of information, there was probably nothing else of import that I could add - on this occasion I would probably skim read the names of the posters rather than the thread before even thinking about rereading and then posting LOL.

Also as well as reading posts, use the search facility as there is so much great information here.
Yes Fiona,that comment about someone getting the credit when I or someone else has already said the exact same thing is another huge bug bearer of mine,I enjoy giving advice,when I can.However it really annoys me when I get absolutely no thanks or even a mention yet the 12th poster says the same thing and gets all the thanks...hellllloooooo:green:

I see what some are saying about some posts being hard to read as well,I.e no paragraphs or where the poster uses a capital letter at the beginning of every single word(I hate that)They are hard to read but at least a bit of a skim through isn't that hard surely???I would rather do that than repeat everything else someone else has written.

Anyway,sorry,just felt compelled to write this last night as I really couldn't believe that someone yet again had done this.:irked:

when I see things like this...I get all jittery and think s**t .... are they referring to me LOL :lol:

Or... I sit here wondering which thread you mean.... ( because of my inquisitive nature :rolleyes: )

So I go and read through them all anyway .... :lol:

I always read through all the posts...again my inquisitive nature prevents me from skimming through them... but I have a memory like a sewer rat and totally forget what has been said in the previous 3..4..5 pages or whatever...

So if I repeat an answer or don't acknowledge someone when I should.... I apologise...but honestly I want it said that I always read everyone's posts and the full thread...always..always... I agree with Babsann that it is important...xxxxx

....i try and read everything before i give an answer,and sometimes read it twice!

Im not bothered if someone else gets the credit:)

Sometimes if i see long paragraphs though my eyes start to "glaze" over as i prefer short paragraphs:eek::lol:

If i give advice,or i comment itry and give a different angle,ori do reiterate sometimes what the previous poster has said,but try and add something else....the last thing i want to do is offend:eek:

As like Merceded said if someone thanks me for advice i think...."geez that was me..."LOL

Just need to point out that I'm not talking about the odd repetition here,but almost writing everything that has already been covered.I mean...what's the point??well the point is that it is quite obvious that someone hasn't bothered reading any of the replies just decided to give their answer regardless.Anyway....It's not just one person and It's not my intention to rant here just a polite request:green:

Also I'm not screaming for praise here,that's not the point of the thread either,I was merely pointing out that it's nice to get a "cheers" if you've gone to the trouble of replying,and not someone else getting it when all they have done is repeated another geeks words.Hey!this is an old thread of mine I did yonks ago so not going to bang on about that old chestnut again.:lol:

I see what some are saying about some posts being hard to read as well,I.e no paragraphs or where the poster uses a capital letter at the beginning of every single word(I hate that)They are hard to read but at least a bit of a skim through isn't that hard surely???I would rather do that than repeat everything else someone else has written.

When I come across these, I don't even read them. Sorry:confused:
But they frustrate me too much, trying to read where one thought begins and another ends... I used to try, but now I don't bother anymore.

I guess when I referred to threads of 3 & 4 pages long.. I suppose it's not the ones with a specific question I'm referring to.

Although, I have noticed on occasion, that I have read a thread, posted my reply and whoops, someone replied at the same time as myself almost saying the same thing.
But yes, I would like to see less duplicates.

I've also noticed that sometimes, people don't read all of the original post and provide answers that don't apply for whatever reason.
Example:
I remember a thread I put myself, regarding NNO's of nail biters (ultra flat nails), and I explained in my very first post that my Reformed Nail Biters refuse to let me cut off their nails and resculpt. And yet, further down, people were suggesting I do exactly that. (although, btw, I'm better at shaping their nails now BUT they'll never be as nice as I'd like - STILL trying to convince them to let me cut off their nails and start from scratch lol)

Yes it does:green::hug::green:
By the way Adele... I'm stopping production of my remote :lol::lol::lol:

Haven't read the rest of the thread but I know what you mean Babsann :green::smack: :lol:

I do try to read every post first and only reply if I feel that there is something I can add!
xx

I agree.

READ, READ, READ,

read some more

...then post

And for goodness sakes say thank-you. :irked:

I'm usually on the receiving end of advice so I'm not missing out on many 'thanks' but it really is annoying when peeps don't acknowledge the help they've received!!!

I do try to read every post first and only reply if I feel that there is something I can add!
xx

Some are so long,almost essay like,that i skip them completely.

Such a shame as i'm probably missing out but i just can't face War and
Peace type posts

Some are so long,almost essay like,that i skip them completely.

Such a shame as i'm probably missing out but i just can't face War and
Peace type posts

(Guiltily raises her hand up) :o That would be me. :o

I can't help it:confused: My brain goes on fast-forward, jumping from one thought to another. I can type 80-90 words a minute.. so my hands pretty much keep up with my mind.
by the time I'm done, it's maybe 2-5minutes later and OMG :eek: it's a novella.
THEN I reread it, try to figure out what to delete.... but can't, particularly if it's a debate sort of thread where ideas are being tossed back and forth...

THEN if I get into "story mode" (I'm a writer by nature) and I'm telling a personal story.. yup, gets a bit long too.

SORRY!!!

:o:o:o:o
it's a disease, I can't help myself:lol:

Well said - I do also think that some newbies (and some of us oldies too) need to be reminded about the rep system. It is a great way of saying thanks to somebody for the advice and help they have provided on here and is a great way to make somebody feel really good about helping out to.

http://www.salongeek.com/chit-chat/44650-give-thanks-geeks.html

http://www.salongeek.com/news/54979-site-updates.html

You can see from the above previous posts how well liked the rep system and positive vibes the rep system gives - so please, when you have received some great advice please think about this simple reward system.

x x x

p.s. apologies if this has already been mentioned on this thread - apologies if I have missed it. :lol:

OMG

If "Give Thanks To Geeks" wasn't a good example of one of my episodes of "Verbal diarrhea", I dont know what is
:lol::lol::lol:

I'm soooo bad, I know. I can't help myself. I get a thought and go on a tangent. hehe

BUT
Thanks for mentioning that thread, it's probably a good time to bump it up and remind everyone of how special this site is.
Way to go Oey!!!!:hug:

OMG

If "Give Thanks To Geeks" wasn't a good example of one of my episodes of "Verbal diarrhea", I dont know what is
:lol::lol::lol:

I'm soooo bad, I know. I can't help myself. I get a thought and go on a tangent. hehe

BUT
Thanks for mentioning that thread, it's probably a good time to bump it up and remind everyone of how special this site is.
Way to go Oey!!!!:hug:

Victoria, I think your posts are easy to read because they are spaced out and in paragraphs (even colour coded sometimes:). It's when it's a big block of words that it feels very laborious.

Latest posts

Back