Please spill!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatieLM

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I wanted to know everyone's experiences of working in the industry and how you have progressed through your career. I always want to better myself and I'm thinking what to do next!

So il go first.... After qualifying my NVQ level in spa therapies I could not find a job straight away so went to work in retail aswell as studying a foundation degree in complementary therapies. After a while I got a job in a skin clinic which I really enjoyed as skincare and anti ageing interest me more. I had to leave this job as the client base wasn't picking up as expected. I have now qualified in my degree and work within a chain spa. The wage isn't great and I'm on a zero hour contract. Sooo what to do next?? I'm thinking either working abroad while I'm still young or going to do a spa management degree?? So many different routes!

Please reply :) xx

Hi KatieLM

What a great idea for a thread! I am currently a tutor and my students are always asking us how we got into the industry and where we have worked, I feel talking about it inspires them and makes them realise how many options they actually have! Anyways heres my story.

I actually started by doing Reflexology during my gap year and fell in love with it! I then trained in Swedish, Aromatherapy and Indian Head massage. Following that I did a BA Hons degree in Health, Fitness and Holistic Therapies Management. I struggled for a year to find a job and quickly realised I would need level 2 Beauty if I was going to get anywhere! Having said that I found a temporary job at a spa to cover sick leave. This then turned into a permanent position on the condition I trained in level 2 beauty (which did). I was at the spa for 3 years and only decided to leave to gain experience in a salon within a town. I worked in the salon for 2 years and during that time enrolled on my PGCE course. I have completed my first year and about the start my second year, through this I have managed to get a part time teaching job in my local college. I have left my salon job and plan to open my own salon within the next 12 months.

I am constantly looking for new training as I think it is important to keep professional development up to date, especially in our industry.

I considered working abroad and cruise ships but never had the guts to actually do it! would love to here from anyone who has done it, just to hear about the experience of it. XX

Hi guys,

I wanted to know everyone's experiences of working in the industry and how you have progressed through your career. I always want to better myself and I'm thinking what to do next!

So il go first.... After qualifying my NVQ level in spa therapies I could not find a job straight away so went to work in retail aswell as studying a foundation degree in complementary therapies. After a while I got a job in a skin clinic which I really enjoyed as skincare and anti ageing interest me more. I had to leave this job as the client base wasn't picking up as expected. I have now qualified in my degree and work within a chain spa. The wage isn't great and I'm on a zero hour contract. Sooo what to do next?? I'm thinking either working abroad while I'm still young or going to do a spa management degree?? So many different routes!

Please reply :) xx

I dont want to put a dampener on things but you wont get funding to do the degree in spa management. As you already have a degree why not do fhe masters?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi guys,
I love this thread also!!
Well I started off by doing a nail tech course in dublin cause I didnt get my place in beauty therapy, I hated acrylic nd gel so never did them again after that.
I then went to edinburgh to work for the summer and decided to apply to college in case I wanna stay which I did. I got onto a two year hnd course which was great and I loved. I worked in the Scotsman spa while at college which was horrible 7/8 massages a day. I then moved back to ireland and saved for a year while working in my friends salon and I now live in toronto canada!!!im here on a two year visa currently working in a spa which I despise but im not here that long so fingers crossed I get a beter job!!interview for a wax bar today too!!
And for the future??I wanna teach eventually and also own my own salon so dreaming big haha
Fi xx

Sent from my SGH-I727R using SalonGeek mobile app

I've done beauty level 2 & 3, nails level 2 and henna level 2.

I'm trying to set up from home but will be doing a bridal hair up course and Asian bridal course part time this year or early next.

I'm also want to do Indian head massage, pregnancy massage and shellac training but its to expensive at the moment for me.

I think this best to keep learning and studying, our industry keeps moving and changing.

Latest posts

Back