Please tell me what you think!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucybluebell

Reaction score
I have just qualified and I'm doing a conversion course with CND the week after next. I haven't yet advertised for clients as I want to wait until I can offer the best products. These are my own nails, I did a rebalance on both hands today and it took 2 hrs so I'm pleased with the time. Can I have your opinions if the standard is good enough for me to charge clients? Thank you x

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1339263658.840260.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1339263658.840260.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 381
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1339263700.943075.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1339263700.943075.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 389
Hiya:) Just file the side walls to give them more subtle shape. You did nice smile line, use the 180\240 grit buff to make the surface really even and you will rock:)
Good luck!

Ok, I'm going to take a deep breath and say if I was a client I would be disappointed if I paid for these.

I only do natural nails, so my thoughts are purely on what I see with my eyes from your pic. The smile lines are not all the same shape and need a crisper outline. Also, in one pic the nails seem to flare out and then come in again.

Please don't hate me, but I really believe the critique section could be used more effectively so people really learn. As I said, I do natural nails so cannot offer technical advice, just what I see.

I would love to see more pics after your CND conversion, as I bet you will get so much out of the course.

Well I really did want honesty so i appreciate it. I am a little disappointed that you think they're that bad lol oh well I'll keep at it and will post some more pics after my CND training x

Please don't just take my comments, wait for an experienced Geek that can give you technical advice on what you can do to improve. As I said, I do natural nails and I'm just commenting on what I see.

I feel sad when people post on the critique and only receive lovely words. As lovely as they are to read, I would love to see people really getting the feedback they are asking for, but this seems to be bypassed a lot lately
I felt frustrated when I posted asking for a critique and all I started getting was that they 'were lovely hun' when I wanted someone telling me what I could do to make them better. After all, that's what a critique is for.

As I say, I hope you get the input from someone who knows more technically and I'll keep quiet! :wink2:

I'm sure you'll come on leaps and bounds with your conversion course. I have seen far worse - at one time I would have been pleased with myself to have done these but the good thing is that you're big enough to ask for opinions. Nails didn't come easy to me and it took me years (literally) to get decent at it so persevere - you will always question your work, which is a good thing, and remember its actually easier to do it on someone else rather than yourself. Not there yet but well done, you know the basics so can now work on the refinements. Hope this helps. You're braver than I was (am!).
JES x

I'm sure you'll come on leaps and bounds with your conversion course. I have seen far worse - at one time I would have been pleased with myself to have done these but the good thing is that you're big enough to ask for opinions. Nails didn't come easy to me and it took me years (literally) to get decent at it so persevere - you will always question your work, which is a good thing, and remember its actually easier to do it on someone else rather than yourself. Not there yet but well done, you know the basics so can now work on the refinements. Hope this helps. You're braver than I was (am!).
JES x

Thank you!
The lady in the shop asked me where I had my nails done, she said they look lovely so that's boosted my confidence a bit x

i think they're good considering you've just qualified.
the length is good,
smile lines are good. your pink to white ratio is good.
i would soften the edges and bring the sides in more.
a little cover pink would be nice and even out the pink of the nail bed.
well done and keep practising.

i think they're good considering you've just qualified.
the length is good,
smile lines are good. your pink to white ratio is good.
i would soften the edges and bring the sides in more.
a little cover pink would be nice and even out the pink of the nail bed.
well done and keep practising.

Yes I see that the sides could be brought in a little more. I agree that a more opaque pink would look better, hope I'm right in thinking CND do different pinks in the Brisa gel. Thanks very much for you comments :biggrin:

For a newly qualified tech, I think you've done a great job! It just takes loads of practice to perfect.... I also (like the previous poster said) took ages to perfect nails.... and I still am!

For constructive critique I would say your smile lines need a bit of work but french does take a while to perfect! I also noticed that you could see a bit of your natural while peeking thru underneath (that's what I got from the pic, but I may not be be seeing it right) so make sure you take your french white down below the natural free edge otherwise they'll be growing out in no time, alternatively use a pink coverage gel as the above poster suggested to disguise this if taking the white lower would spoil the overall look of the nail. Also, as already said, taking in the barrel sides would be help too. But honestly, it looks like you're doing really well, if this is what you're doing as newbie, you'll be kicking a$$ in no time! The CND conversion course will really really help, honestly training with a top brand and investing in good products will transform the way you work and you will come on leaps and bounds! I did generic gel training using a cheap products, then almost a year later I converted with Bio and honestly it was best thing I ever did, never looked back... so good to work with quality products!

Anyways, I'm rambling on now! Enjoy your CND course and best of luck with your new venture :) xx

For a newly qualified tech, I think you've done a great job! It just takes loads of practice to perfect.... I also (like the previous poster said) took ages to perfect nails.... and I still am!

For constructive critique I would say your smile lines need a bit of work but french does take a while to perfect! I also noticed that you could see a bit of your natural while peeking thru underneath (that's what I got from the pic, but I may not be be seeing it right) so make sure you take your french white down below the natural free edge otherwise they'll be growing out in no time, alternatively use a pink coverage gel as the above poster suggested to disguise this if taking the white lower would spoil the overall look of the nail. Also, as already said, taking in the barrel sides would be help too. But honestly, it looks like you're doing really well, if this is what you're doing as newbie, you'll be kicking a$$ in no time! The CND conversion course will really really help, honestly training with a top brand and investing in good products will transform the way you work and you will come on leaps and bounds! I did generic gel training using a cheap products, then almost a year later I converted with Bio and honestly it was best thing I ever did, never looked back... so good to work with quality products!

Anyways, I'm rambling on now! Enjoy your CND course and best of luck with your new venture :) xx
What great comments thank you! I'm taking it all on board :biggrin:
Last Sept I had never done anything with nails apart from paint my own so I know there is loads to learn. This site is just brilliant and I really appreciate you taking time to comment as its a real help :hug:

Overall for having just qualified, they're not too bad.

You need to pay close attention to ensuring your sidewalls are straight and don't flare. Also, make sure the free edges are all shaped uniformly.

Working with the smile to make sure they're all uniformly shaped takes time but I think you'll get that down because you're not too far off. They don't appear to be too thick, either.

It's difficult to see Zone 3 and well blended that is but since there are no apparent lumps and bumps, we'll assume it's done well.

Keep practicing. I think you're well on your way.

Gigi has a saying: Perfect practice makes perfect. Keep up the good work.

As far as I am concerned you should always charge for your work no matter what stage you are at. Until you have a group of empathetic clients who are willing to let you learn and practice your skills you will never get there.

These nails look like an amateur's nails .. why wouldn't they? you are not yet a seasoned professional. One should be looking for their nails to look better and better as the weeks go on not think one has got there quickly because they have a peice of paper at the end of a beginners course. (not saying that you DO think you have got there, it is a general comment to all beginners).

A CND Conversion Course does not teach one how to do nails, but how to use the CND products the way they should be used. If you are looking to learn how to do nails on that course, you will be disappointed. Conversion first and then skill building classes, to learn to get those smiles perfect, to have sharp clarity between the free edge and the nail bed colour (and yes there are a variety of Pinks to choose from in the Brisa gel line). You need to have opacity in that white so that it is perfectly even and not patchy as it is at the moment and yes, you need to learn to build that vertical horizontal apex so that the the centre of the nail is rounded and the sides are thin and tapered (this is where you will get the strength and see breakages become a thing of the past).

The nails you have done are not horrible, but neither do they have a consistent look nor a beautiful look. They look like a newbies nails and at this stage this is normal and you need to strive for perfection in each and every stage or your work from tipping, blending, applying and building, finishing etc etc.

You are doing OK and are where I would expect you to be at this stage and considering you have not had CND training.

To give you an example. the following are two images of first sets by students with Brisa. They are not perfect, but it will show you the standard we aim for right from the start at CND. Clarity of the white, evenness, perfect clarity with the pink. Shape is not perfect but that can be altered at the end ... you cannot alter the clarity after the nails are done. Something to aspire to. these were done on day 13 of the Creative complete course and Justine Crick was the Education Ambassador. We have similar stories all along the way with other Ambassadors. Strive for perfection from the start and do not accept anything less. Get those clients' bums on the seat opposite you and do as many sets as you can and as many rebalances as you can and if you have got it in you, you will see a difference in every set you do.

I hope this helps Lucy .. it is not meant to deflate ... I am sure you can see where there needs to be improvement. Have fun.

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
These are amazing...feeling nervous now. Hope mine are nearly as good :Scared:
xx

Gigi thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it! I certainly do take on board everything you have said and I'll keep on practising :D

Latest posts

Back