Please urgent help gel nails not lasting more than 3 days!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not so, unfortunately. It's one of those tricky things because not every primer bottle puts it on the label. A lot of powders also contain MMA, but powder MMA polymers are comparatively safe because they do not readily evaporate or penetrate the skin.

"Primer: Primers are usually made with 100% pure methacrylic acid. Although primers are caustic to skin, they are not caustic to the nail plate. Primers aid in product retention because one end of the molecular chain is attracted to the oil molecule in the natural nail plate, and the other end is attracted to the monomer molecule. Primers act like double-sided sticky tape."
Artificial Nail Terminology

I found out that NSI primer is MMA-based, and so is one of OPI's primers (I can't remember which one and I can't pull up the MSDS sheets on them).

Creative Acid-Free Primer contains no MMA.

In the 1970's the FDA in the U.S. only banned the production of products containing 100% MMA, so some manufacturers here are producing enhancement chemicals with a smaller concentration of the chemical. 30 states here have completely banned the use of monomers that contain any MMA. They don't care if it's only 1%, you can't use it. (Florida is one of those states.) However, those bans don't extend into other products that contain the chemical because when used in conjunction with other chemicals (like primers) the harmful properties of MMA are neutralized.

Here is a link to an article I found with more information. I'm not sure I agree 100% with everything in it, but it is what it is. :rolleyes:
The MMA Controversy

Anyways, I'm glad that I looked this stuff up. Now I know why I have had to lay an extra coat of primer down since I started using the Acid-Free Primer. Some of the other techs I've talked to say they have to do the same. (In Florida, the weather, the beach, and sunscreens are our biggest enemy...lots of oils!) The only tech that said she only needs 2 coats uses NSI primer, which contains MMA. I wish they wouldn't make this chemical stuff so complicated!!!

Tina why not use a monomer which requires no primer:eek: yes no primer lol, retention plus by cnd is primer optional, I never use it, but if you are using it I would think just priming 3 nails at a time would be better than double prepping at every appointment. Esp as you are using cnd primer, If you are priming all 10 nails at begining by the time you get to your second hand or even nail no 10 oils and contaminants have had time to rise to the surface of the natural nail again so I would prep all nails as per , then scrub fresh one hand primer on 3 nails and away you go, nad only a tiny amount is needed :hug::hug:

Latest posts

Back