Please urgent help gel nails not lasting more than 3 days!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tashaonline

Reaction score
Hi I have recently trained with gel and although I think the finished result looks great and so does my client I am going wrong somewhere because they are not staying on

this is exactly what it says in my training notes for applying french white tips

- sanatising gel
- file natural nail, cuticle remover, push back
- remove shine
- apply acetone with lint free pad
- select tip, glue , cut down to length , file to shape
- primer pen only on natural nail up to smile line not on tip
- buff over slightly with white block - to much will remove smile line
- choose gel pink or clear,circle motions - pink giving a slight pinker tinge
- under lamp x2min fingers 1st thumbs last
- another layer sweeping motions - remember to cap free edge
- x2 mins
- wipe off stickly layer with wipe off solution
- apply cuticle oil

I have trained with the edge , the gel is self leveling , and I have gone to the above guidelines is there anything im missing out?

vetty from here was great and said the other week she would show me prep as we live in same area but I had a last min client I might need to rearrange again! but any help until then would be great as I do beauty and have been charging my clients £7 to cover product costs so they have been my models but 2 clients have rang today and said 3 have already came off - I only did them 2 days ago!

any help would be appreciated as the lady is going on holiday tuesday so I have tonight or tomorrow to sort this out

xx

Are the tips coming off, or just the gel? If just the gel, maybe you need to buff the white tips more aggressively. If there is any shine left on them, the gel will not adhere.
hths
x

its the tips falling off themselves and the gel is still left on the natural nail

could it be that acetone should be applied before taking off the natural shine not after otherwise it has not got as rough a surface to adhere to?

thankyou for replying
x

its the tips falling off themselves and the gel is still left on the natural nail

could it be that acetone should be applied before taking off the natural shine not after otherwise it has not got as rough a surface to adhere to?

thankyou for replying
x
that could be the problem.can i ask what you are using the acetone for?

I use it to dehydrate the nail - from reading posts on here this is a cheap way to do it but its unkind to the natural nail , from reading the prep tutorial creatives scrubfresh is used , but this is again used after removing shine so maybe what I said above is wrong

anyone know the answer?!

thanksx

I wonder if you're not putting the tip on correctly?

When I first used white tips, I didn't put the full well on the nail because there was too much white (and I didn't know what I was doing!) and they just came right off.

Do you think the full well was adhered to the nail?

I try to make sure I hear that 'click' to know its in place but I will be def making sure in future

thanks

If using acetone on the nail could this not be causing the tip to become weak?
Acetone is used to remove nails!
I wouldn't be using it, find a nail prep product that is suitable.
If it's not this i have no idea.
HTH.

I used to have problems with tips coming off if I put on the primer then the tips. Also maybe check your glue. I like OPI's Mach 5. It works really fast and it is really thin so you have to be carefull.

i would say its because you havent built up the stress area.

your instructions do not seem to mention this.

a stress area [or apex] is vital for any system .
this will prevent tip loss.

using acetone on the natural nail will enhance adhesion because it temporarily dehydrates the nail plate.

do not get it on the tips.

creative scrubfresh contains acetone and germ fighting chemicals.

i hope this helps you .:)

Hi

it's also worth checking if the c-curve of your tip matches the c-curve of your clients natural nail; for instance, if your tip is much curvier than the natural nail then the centre portion will not be attached properly and even if you have forced it flat then it will forever by trying to "pop off" due to its shape

likewise if you use a flatter tip on a really curvy nail then the "wings" will very likely not lie properly

hth

After you have wiped the tacky layer try filing and rebuffing the nail lightly for shape this may also help. Then wipe with cleanse and apply your cuticle oil.
I know you said its a self leavling gel but you could have gone too near to the skin.

thanks for the replies will take all into consideration and see how I get on, I was never taught to file over the gel afterwards..I thought this would start removing gel? so you wipe over at the end to remove tacky layer then file over gel with..white block? then wipe over with the solution to remove tacky layer again or just normal sanatize lotion?

Hi I have recently trained with gel and although I think the finished result looks great and so does my client I am going wrong somewhere because they are not staying on

this is exactly what it says in my training notes for applying french white tips

- sanatising gel
- file natural nail, cuticle remover, push back - are you removing cuticle remover
- remove shine
- apply acetone with lint free pad - better to use a product such as scrubfresh
- select tip, glue , cut down to length , file to shape
- primer pen only on natural nail up to smile line not on tip?? what gel we using?
- buff over slightly with white block - to much will remove smile line are you buffing off what you've just primered on?
- choose gel pink or clear,circle motions - pink giving a slight pinker tinge is there a bonder?
- under lamp x2min fingers 1st thumbs last are you using the correct lamp designed to work with the gel?
- another layer sweeping motions - remember to cap free edge
- x2 mins are we doing any building?
- wipe off stickly layer with wipe off solution
- apply cuticle oil

I have trained with the edge , the gel is self leveling , and I have gone to the above guidelines is there anything im missing out?

vetty from here was great and said the other week she would show me prep as we live in same area but I had a last min client I might need to rearrange again! but any help until then would be great as I do beauty and have been charging my clients £7 to cover product costs so they have been my models but 2 clients have rang today and said 3 have already came off - I only did them 2 days ago!

any help would be appreciated as the lady is going on holiday tuesday so I have tonight or tomorrow to sort this out

xx

Sorry i got to the bottom and realised it was 'the edge' your using.

I would....(if i ever used white tips which i dont!)

Santise hands
Prep the nails, removing cuticle remover thoroughly
remove shine
Scrubfresh/dehydrate the nails
Apply white tips - remove the shine from the white tips, cut and file to length
scrubfresh nail plate only
bonder (or primer?? if thats what your supposed to use) or straight onto nail if its calgel/bio etc
Scrub in 1st thin layer of gel into each nail - i'd apply and cure 2 nails at a time till all hands done ( i work with 2 lamps for speed)
BUILD with the second layer
Wipe....file/buff if nesessary then top gloss
Cuticle oil

As i say im not familiar with the edge but this is how most systems work

Could you phone your trainer?

Thanks that is great
I'm going to print that off lol
the only thing Im not sure about now, is I know you said you use 2 lamps for speed how would I get round it , as curing each nail x 3 gels for 2 mins each would take forever!
would I do what I have read on here a freeze cure each one for 10 secs then I can do them all through each gel stage and then put in lamp for the 2 mins

phew lol

im getting there, yes I have rang the trainer who works full time in her own nail bar in town, when I rang she had a client, was told to ring back in 5 rang back then the next client was in , so I felt you know bit rude interupting all the time , she didnt mind but all the same

thanksx

any help to last question - before I do them in 2 hours

thanksx

I have the same problems with gels, but I live in Florida, and the humidity here breaks the gel product down quickly.

I would blame the priming pen, if all of the other advice doesn't work. Is it like a cloth or felt tip? It seems to me that something like that would get contaminated with oils pretty easily. I think it's better to use a regular primer with a brush because you can wipe the brush off before putting it back into the bottle. I had problems with my acrylics lifting until I had another tech tell me to replace my primer and start wiping the brush off on a paper towel after every use before putting it back in the bottle. I also started priming three times after prepping the nail. One coat on all ten to dehydrate, another coat to all ten to help adhere, and a third "wet coat" to the five on the hand I'm working on. Perhaps that would help? It works well with my acrylics, but I don't know if you can put gels on top of wet primer.

I got so frustrated:irked:, I gave up on gels until I go to the next CND Master Class to learn from an expert.

I have the same problems with gels, but I live in Florida, and the humidity here breaks the gel product down quickly.

I would blame the priming pen, if all of the other advice doesn't work. Is it like a cloth or felt tip? It seems to me that something like that would get contaminated with oils pretty easily. I think it's better to use a regular primer with a brush because you can wipe the brush off before putting it back into the bottle. I had problems with my acrylics lifting until I had another tech tell me to replace my primer and start wiping the brush off on a paper towel after every use before putting it back in the bottle. I also started priming three times after prepping the nail. One coat on all ten to dehydrate, another coat to all ten to help adhere, and a third "wet coat" to the five on the hand I'm working on. Perhaps that would help? It works well with my acrylics, but I don't know if you can put gels on top of wet primer.

I got so frustrated:irked:, I gave up on gels until I go to the next CND Master Class to learn from an expert.

dont apply gel on to wet primer it will not adhere. your primer needs to be dry.
double priming is recomended with some types of acrylic and even wet priming.
but 3 layers of primer would not be really good for the nail. traditional primer is made from methacrylic acid and actually eats into the nail, albeit only mildly.
its important to use it sparingly for the health of the natural nail. repeatedly over priming the nails will lead to thinning and soreness and damage to the nail plate.

LoL! I just talked to another tech friend of mine who said that if you apply gel over wet primer, not only does it cause lifting, but it BURNS under the UV lamp! God, I can't wait until that next CND class comes up!

I'm using Creative's Acid-Free Primer, does that have MMA in it? I'll have to pull the MSDS on it, but I don't think it does because the salon I work at is very strict about not using anything that contains MMA. I've been doing it that way for three years. I haven't had any complaints from clients about soreness and I haven't noticed any thinning or damage, but I also don't etch the natural nail plate at all and I think that makes a big difference. I'll have to look into the primer thing, because now I'm a little worried about it. Thanks for the info AngelFingers!

Latest posts

Back