PO1 toner, how long to leave on for?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicky1978

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a client who is a base of 5 or 6 (I use wella koleston perfect) she's been colouring it herself, and now she wants blonde highlights. I just know it's going to go the horrible orange brassy way so bought today PO1 louo by loreal as was chatting to the girls at the suppliers and they said that was the best one. Looking at other forums I'm wondering how long to leave it on for? Because I don't want it to go silvery platinum white, just a nice creamy blonde. Some say 2 mins, some say 10, and to watch it like a hawk as it grabs quick, so a bit scared now! And I was told at suppliers to use it with 3% peroxide, as not lifting, just toning. Any help would be very much appreciated!
Vicky xx

You always need to visually develop toners. I think it's lazy to just whack a toner in a client and leave them at the backwash. Sorry if I sound funny just my opinion and how I've always worked.

Please complete your profile so we know what level of training and experience you have so we can advise accordingly. You will need to do this via the website rather than on the App. Thanks.

If you are qualified, I would have expected you to know more than a sales assistant in a warehouse? Most of them are not hairdressers and can sometimes offer bizarre advice, like the one who told me she added peroxide to crazy colour to make it permanent! :grr:

Hi, sorry, have updated my details. I should have previously said I usually use Wella Koleston perfect 10/8 or 10/16 as a toner, and heard great things about PO1. Manager at Sally's is a qualified hairdresser and a friend so I trust her. Just was googling info on it (I'm mobile and don't work in a salon anymore) and reviews was a bit mixed and came across this and thought I'd ask that's all :)

She recommending mixing it with 3%. She's giving you her hairdresser opinion, not the right technical information.

I'm a bit confused for what you are trying to do? Have I got this right, client is a coloured 5/6 and your going to do bleach highlights. You would usually use KP 10/16 but you are going to try PO1?

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

Well I always mix my toners with 3%, and yes, that's exactly right. It's not going to come out a great blonde so just wanted thoughts on PO1 as heard it was so great.

I just don't know why if your expecting to lift it, and it come out orange you would be using 10/16 or PO1

* double post

I'm not expecting it to lift it, I just want to get rid of the brassy tones after it's been bleached.

Maybe I'll just stick to wella!

I'm not expecting it to lift it, I just want to get rid of the brassy tones after it's been bleached.

That what I meant, you are going to lift it first. I would assess the toner after the bleach has developed, what level are you looking to lift it too?

Just a nice 10/0 possibly, not after a platinum blonde, which looking at reviews of PO1, that's what will happen... :)

Google image PO1 and that's the result you would get over a pale yellow

I generally mix PO1 with PO2 so the 2 neutralises any yellow. And I always you the L'Oreal developer.

Sorry to question you it's just when you mentioned orange it threw me, as you wouldn't be neutralising any orange on level 10.

No worries, I appreciate your help. I shall have look. Thank you :)

If it's just cleaness your after I would lift to a clean blonde there's no reason for you to not get a good lift on a level 5/6 Hun I used blondor with 6% for 40 mins on a level 5 always get clean lift with a lower peroxide but leave it on for longer for a cleaner result tone with the frosted milk shakes if your using O'loreal 10.01 if you feel it's not as clean and still has a ting of brass use 10.02 tbf these are the equivalent to 10/16 and 10/8 in wella I Dnt no why your attempting the p0s in O'loreal there like platinum very clean ash tones i would stick with what you no the p01s and 2s doesn't sound like the look your after x

Thank you beckstar for your help, I should have clarified my client has been colouring it dark herself and is prob a 5 or a 6, so it's not Virgin hair. I think you're right tho, I shall just stick to the wella. Thanks again, much appreciated :)

Thank you beckstar for your help, I should have clarified my client has been colouring it dark herself and is prob a 5 or a 6, so it's not Virgin hair. I think you're right tho, I shall just stick to the wella. Thanks again, much appreciated :)

Oh sorry Hun my mistake haha no probs 👍 x

I would advise against Luo P01. It is designed to be mixed with the Luo developer which is 7,5% or 25 vol.

Probably your client has a few inches of natural root, which while toning will shift lighter within minutes.

Also the high ammonia formula could make you high at the basin xD

Better stick to what you know!

Latest posts

Back