Pocket lifting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kerrie

Reaction score
Hi :)

I have a client that comes to me once a month for perm french backfill.

I have never had a problem with her nails and she never experiences lifting around the cuticle area or any broken nails .

She came in today for her monthly appointment and she showed me her nails and she was experiencing very bad pocket lifting on 5 of them and one had come off. The pockets were up where the smile line had grown out but you could see the pockets quite clearly and she said that this had started to happen after about 2 1/2 weeks.

She had no other problems with her nails and other than that they were fine, with no lifting at all,i prepped in the usual way and done everything i have always done , but i am stumped as to why she was getting such bad pocket lifting.

I have other monthly clients and this has never happened and it doesnt happen with any of my fortnightly clients either, so im kind of stumped about it.

Was it something i have done wrong? or is it the client?

Kerrie :)

hmmm, no that didnt really help, the nails it occured on were small, as she has small nail beds and it wasnt her thumbs that were affected, and i dont work very wet either, my ratio for zone 2 is never too sloppy or wet. I also make sure to press down and pat before slightly pulling back.

I didnt do her full set and she has been getting fills from me for about 5 months now.

I have never come across pocket lifting in my own nails so its got me scratching my head.

Hi Kerrie,

Make sure you are not back brushing the smileline -- I'm sure yuo are not -- but if the product is wet or the natural nail is wet, this can cause pocketlifting.

However it sounds to me like her nails are deteriorating. Maybe she is not using her SolarOil regularly anymore and the product has become brittle -- time for a brand new set I think.

Are the nails a bit long after 3 weeks and perhaps she is not taking down the length? It really is necessary, when clients go 3-4 weeks between appointments, that they take the length down so they are not hitting them.

I really don't think the problem is with you or what you are doing, but rather something she is doing or NOT doing!

Hi Gigi,

I use scrubfresh so the nail is always very dry, and well she doesnt use solar oil, she never has , she also shortens them herself so they dont get too long.

I pretty much took off all the old acrylic today and got rid of all the pockets in all of the nails that were doing it , i have also told her to come back if it starts happening again.

I also payed particular attention underneath her nails to make sure there were no gaps or curling under her nails, she didnt have any today when she came before i started work on her nails.

The acrylic was pretty brittle and looking kind of old, but not discoloured except for in the places where the pocket lift was sitting, other than that they looked fine.

She normally goes great after 4 weeks, but i guess you know clients even if they did do something different they wont tell you even if you ask them. She wasnt really upset about it and i fixed them up and they looked great when i finished and she was happy.

But i will keep in mind all you have said and let you know how she goes next month.

Just a couple of questions:

She said it started 2.5 weeks ago. Were there greenies as well?
When was the last time you replaced the set if at all?
At this stage is it just an natural nail overlay, or a t&o?

No there were no greenies at all, the pocket seemed to be "sealed" in there.

I have never replaced the set , she has been coming to me for 5 months and and this was the 5th backfill, they are all overlay except for the nail that i replaced today. The section where the pocket lift was , was yellowish but not badly.

Her nails normally look great after 4 weeks , with no lifting at all, they really pretty much look like i done them the week before except for the growth away from the cuticles.

hmmm... the slight yellowing was most likely the begining of a bacterial infection... however I cant believe that she could have pocket lifting for 2.5 weeks and not have a serious case of greenies. This would lead me to suspect that she is having problems with curling of her free edge. If this is the case, the curling could have caused lifting into Zone 2 so it would look like pocket lifting, but since the lifting extended toward the free edge, you would not get the associated greenies.

[thread=2632]Here is[/thread] some info on curling... or try doing a search.

Hope this helps

The slight yellowing was in the acrylic and not her natural nails, as i took all the acrylic and her nail beds were pink underneath.

I did check for curling underneath and didnt find any at all.

I asked her if she had been doing anythign different and she assured me she hadnt, and her nails werent battered and didnt look abused, (as in some cases i get lol)

I dont know maybe i did work a bit wet on her that day, thats the only other possible thing i can think of after ruling out everything else.

Its just i have never had this happen with any of my clients, i have seen it from new infill clients but not my own.

kerrie :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back