Point cutting?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becca31

Reaction score
My boss always point cuts on all types of hair? Does anyone else?

My boss always point cuts on all types of hair? Does anyone else?

Most yes, cutting little triangles (so to speak) gives a better finish to short thick or wavy hair. For wavy hair it stops those annoying fish hook ends if you chip into it, triangles leave a solid point avoiding that set look,

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

Ive had different feedback ive mainly done point cutting to finish off trying to get into the habbit of doing it on wet hair aswell

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I pretty much always cut point. Gives a much nicer finish.

My biggest hate of the college world is that they have to do all wet cutting club cut - one of my trainees was failed an assessment for point cutting it...quote the assessor "what the hell have you done here?!"

Most of us point cut nearly every cut. And 99.9% of haircuts will have some element of point cutting. I point cut wet then point cut again when dry.

I love point cutting when dry xx

Mostly when dry just going over the finished look x

HairBy Amanda

love point cutting, much softer layers, fringes, graduated bobs everything! Can't remember the last time I used club cutting. X

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I was trained in point cutting first- didnt really know what club cutting is until a had to tick it off as an assessment.

It's thinks like these that make you wish they would bring NVQ/VRQ into the real world.

This week I had, a VRQ level boy did a 2 hour half head poorly done and this is after level 3! How the hell do you get a qualification!

Club cutting creates much stronger shapes which stay in the hair longer though. I very rarely point cut now.

What about solid one length bobs?

And I was point cutting a ladys layers bob length very fine hair and my colleague said after I should have blunt cut. I thought you'd get lines? Xx

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Point cutting removed both length and weight. On finer hair you usually want weight on the ends so it wouldn't be suitable, you could remove lines by personalising after.

Different techniques for different hair, you can't club cut everything, nor can you point cut everything.

Last edited:
Always point cut. The only time I would ever ever club cut is is I wanted a true one length, solid cut for photographic work. Point cutting is much softer & removes length & weight at the same time. It's a great technique

I think you should tailor it to the hair.... Medium and Thick hair yeah. My hair (which is fine) it needs to be blunt cut. It just goes fluffy and wispy otherwise

Agree with above. All about what style they want and shape of head.

Sometimes point cutting can thin and make whispy too much. Especially on longer cuts where they take shorter. If hair is too thin can make look even thinner and even mullet-y.

I like doing layers on long hair that are a combination of blunt and some pieces of point cutting.

If you can cut precise enough there shouldn't be a need to "always" point cut. It depends on a number of things such as density texture and desired shape a lot of stylists point cut because there too lazy to do a proper job and point cutting hides any "corners"

My advice.... Master the art of cutting properly and precisely before personalising.

They don't teach point cutting on the Sassoon cutting courses.

Says it all really. ;-)

If you can cut precise enough there shouldn't be a need to "always" point cut. It depends on a number of things such as density texture and desired shape a lot of stylists point cut because there too lazy to do a proper job and point cutting hides any "corners"

My advice.... Master the art of cutting properly and precisely before personalising.

This is so true, I always remember a girl started in the salon and she had a couple of years experience so when she brought a model in for a haircut, once I checked it over I said her layers were uneven and once it's dry you would be able to see lines and her reply was "aye but I was going to cut into it once it was dry" x

Latest posts

Back