Polish and bottle technique

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurakate

Reaction score
I've been working really hard on my manicure skills recently. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bad but I know that I want to improve my polishing technique. I therefore have some questions.

How do you hold your bottle?

I have been shown two different methods. The first method is to not hold your bottle when you polish (the theory being that this heats the polish up too much and just makes more work for your hands...I guess this is important with me having just trained in Jessica recently). The second method is to hold the bottle in the palm of your hand in order that you have immediate access to your bottle and that it forms part of a supportive hand position.

How do you polish?

Again I have been shown two different methods. The first method is the well known 3 stroke method (one in the centre followed by another two on each side of that). The other method I have been shown is to work the polish around the nail in circular motions in order to get a smooth shape close to the cuticle and then polish up to the free edge from there.

I think my prefered method is to hold the polish bottle and to work the polish in circular motions as near to the cuticle as possible before painting up to the free edge. I'm still learning but I think I find this gives me the most control over making the polish go where I want it to.

I have had so many people (reliable sources) tell me so many different things. I guess what I'm asking is whether there is a right or wrong way to polish or whether it comes down to what works best for the individual.

Really wanna get some answers here :)

Search for gigis polishing tutorial on here. I have no idea where to find them to be totally honest but if you access the site through a pc you should be able to. Her tutorial is very helpful.

I prefer to have my polish on the desk but I will get into holding it again. I hold it for toes usually.

I don't understand what you mean about doing small circles. I just place my brush in the centre of the nail and push up towards the cuticle and then down. And then I would do my side part and coat the free edge with a little slick of polish.

Oh there it is above the tutorial I mentioned :)

Latest posts

Back