Polish Lasting On Natural Nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimunlimited

Reaction score
Hello All! New to this so bare with me. How long does a polish on natural nails last? I can only get them to stay 2 to 3 days. After they wash, I use alcohol, skip chip/bondaide, basecoat (stickey), 2 coats polish, topcoat. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Hello All! New to this so bare with me. How long does a polish on natural nails last? I can only get them to stay 2 to 3 days. After they wash, I use alcohol, skip chip/bondaide, basecoat (stickey), 2 coats polish, topcoat. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

sound like you are doing everything right, but at the end of the day it all depends on the natural nail.

the polish starts to chip and flake when the natural nails move. because the nail is more flexible than the polish, they start to go their seperate ways. the thinner and more flexible the natural nail, the more this will occur.

some people find a non acid primer helps. you may also try buffing the nail with a fine grit buffer to remove the shine from the natural nail.
but when all is said and done there are certain nails that just cant keep polish on.

I use o.p.i polish and find that I can keep it on my own nails for 5-7 days, however some clients only manage 2 days!

I think as long as you are making sure that the nails are squeaky clean and free of any oils before application, your not applying it two thick...(two thin coats are better than one thick) and you are using good quality product then there is not much you can do.

Some people are just heavy handed and house work, jobs, kids and carelessness are mainly the causes for polish chipping!

I use Creative nail enamels and mine last anything up to about 10 ish days!
I make sure that the base is A1 first, squeak with scrubfresh, stickey base coat, 2 coats (if nessarcary) then top coat, after 2-3 minutes a spritz of speeddry. I also advise the client to re-apply top coat every 2-3 days, it does 100% make a huge difference to the life of enamel! Jmho!!
xxxx:hug:

Capping the free edge with base, colour and top coat also works wonders! :green:

Capping the free edge with base, colour and top coat also works wonders! :green:

yup that works for me too! Also make sure you give your clients aftercare advice - using rubber gloves when doing household chores makes a HUGE difference.

yup that works for me too! Also make sure you give your clients aftercare advice - using rubber gloves when doing household chores makes a HUGE difference.

Gloves are a MUST for painted nails. I had a client in yesterday, she had been in for a manicure 4 days before, and rang up saying the edges of her french had gone 'brown'..............

My heart raced, thinking 'bacterial???' ..... 'contaminated brush???'..... Arrrggghhh... I told her to come down as soon as she could.

In she came, one swipe with varnish remover solved the problem..... re topcoated and they looked as good as new.

I had given her precise aftercare advice, (especially about gloves)...

Turns out she'd been doing the 'gardening' bless her, didn't use gloves....

ARRGGHHH lol lol.

I told her not to go playing in the mud next time!!!! lol! :lol: Clients! Gotta love em'!!

Thanks everyone for the great advice. Might be that I'm not capping the free edge well enough. I use OPI/Fingerpaints/Chi/Creative polishes followed with a quick spray. I do advise usen of cuticle oil and topcoat and gloves, which most hate to wear.

Latest posts

Back