Polish - to thin or not to thin?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thin polish or not?

• yes thin it .....

Votes: 127 40.4%
  • no , dont thin it ....throw it away

Votes: 166 52.9%
  • who cares ....do what ever

Votes: 21 6.7%

• Total voters

cndguru

Reaction score
just curious what u guys think....should u thin polish,enamel,laquer, or varnish?
or not?

sawasdee ka

We always have a lot of polish at my salon we find that some customers look at the brand name and many customer just take the color they like .

We have cheap polish and we have what i speak exspensive polish europe brand if the polish was cheap i dustbin but if it was expensive i will thin but if it give me a problem i put dustbin .

I do not like to thin polish many polish do not give a problem when i know a brand need thin i do not buy anymore of that company polish .

Soon we will carry only 3 lines of polish new and we will test and only have the 3 lines and retail that polish as well for customer .

Mui from Thailand

I used to use a very well known polish line that alsways needed to be thinned. Drove me nuts .. messy and time consuming.

I have to say that since I used Creative polish, I have never had to thin.
Thinned polish never looks or feels the same, and once you start you have to go on doing it to the same polish again and again.

I wouldn't now buy a line that required solvents adding to it to thin it. I'm spoiled now.

i say it depends on which polish. on my "usuals" or favorites I will; but, if it's one I never use than... whatever.

Hi

I use creative polish and they last for ages and you dont need to thin the. I had to throw one out the other day but it was 5 years old and there was only a tad left in the bottom. If i bought a brand that then went thick i would a) bin it and b) never buy it again!

I found that the enamels I have had to "thin" in the past seemed to require "thinning" again pretty soon after that!
They almost have a thirst for thinning and need it all the time! lol!
I too find the whole process a tedious messy task!
Just my experience :o

No dont thin my polishes, Time consuming and on going :(
Just use decent ones to start with less hassle.

Most decent professional enamels should be thixotropic (meaning they thin with aggitation)... if not, I wouldnt bother.

Thinning breaks down the enamel and makes it pants. :D

thanx 4 the feedback ..i just wanted to see if i was the only one throwing out junk polish. i just didnt kno if i was being wasteful, i feel better.i love my cnd polish it never needs thinning .....i wont say that of our other laquers but whatever....thanx guys

guru

The Nail Geek said:
Thinning breaks down the enamel and makes it pants. :D

lol, strange mental picture:
*opens cupboard* "oh no - all my polishes have turned into.......PANTS!" :o
(maybe that was just me....)

I use OPI polish and have OPI thinner at my workstation, just in case.

Can't say that it was worth buying the thinner tho - only had to use it a couple of times, in OPI glitter polish, and even then I could've got away without using it!

Would definitely only ever thin a polish with the same brand thinner that's been designed specifically for that polish too!

G. x

I agree with you all that if a polish needs thinning it needs to be thrown.

If you buy decent polishes they don't ever need it, so :biggrin:you get what you pay for.

Up To Scratch said:
I use OPI polish and have OPI thinner at my workstation, just in case.

Can't say that it was worth buying the thinner tho - only had to use it a couple of times, in OPI glitter polish, and even then I could've got away without using it!

Would definitely only ever thin a polish with the same brand thinner that's been designed specifically for that polish too!

G. x

Maybe the formulation has changed, but I used OPI polishes for a very long time in my salon, and found I had to thin them regularly. It was one of the factors that led me to make a change.

geeg said:
Maybe the formulation has changed, but I used OPI polishes for a very long time in my salon, and found I had to thin them regularly. It was one of the factors that led me to make a change.

Sawasdee ka

We only try 4 bottles of opi and the 2 bottle opi top coat and the polish give us problem and the top coat was terrible it go gloop when still have half bottle so throw them dustbin .

Maybe in another country is ok but in Thailand it is hot and opi polish and top coat do not like it here for sure .

Mui from Thailand

mui said:
Sawasdee ka
Maybe in another country is ok but in Thailand it is hot and opi polish and top coat do not like it here for sure .

Mui from Thailand

When I go to hot countries - which ain't very often!!! :cry: - I always keep my polishes in the fridge - in fact I put all my make-up in the fridge. It seems to keep better in there!!!

I never thin my polishes just throw them, but since using creative they are lovely, but i also use attitude which i really like as well, but after a while they do go gloopy so i bin them

hi everyone! well my experience is the same as most others: once a polish needs thinning it will always need thinning! what i find strange is that it doesnt seem to be relevant to what make but what colour!!! i find that french whites always go thicker quicker (no matter what brand i use) and an odd colour here and there - what's the logic in that???

I was told that polish get thicker in consitency due to the evaporation of the solvents when you are using them constantly...

Carole Lindsay said:
hi everyone! well my experience is the same as most others: once a polish needs thinning it will always need thinning! what i find strange is that it doesnt seem to be relevant to what make but what colour!!! i find that french whites always go thicker quicker (no matter what brand i use) and an odd colour here and there - what's the logic in that???

Here is the logic --- when you stop to consider (the chemistry) that different colours use different pigments and different pigments have different characteristics.
For instance, you can't have white without adding titanium. This is a much thicker pigment than any other.

Also ... most polishes go thicker with constant use and your reasons are correct .. but thixotropic enamels do not go thick as the solvent does not evaporate at anything like the same rate due to the product being thixotropic. I will explain if you want.

I have to agree with geeg on the opi enamels...i bought some a few months back and also bought creative eamels at the same time....the opi ones definately keep thickening....they remond me of the china glaze ones that i used to use in the salon.

Latest posts

Back