polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xAnnaBannAx

Reaction score
Just wondering how long everyone would expect a decent coloured nail polish to last before chipping?

would that be nail enamal....:lol:...(joking babe)

do you mean over a natural nail or over enhancements...?

is polish another swear word around here? lol
and on both really? Was just wondering cos i gave my aunty a manicure on monday and it chipped the following saturday, i dont know how much cos she had decided to take it off herself before i saw her...she seemed to be really pleased with them but id hoped the ENAMEL lol would last a bit longer?

On enhancements i have clients who come back 3-4 weeks later with it still on...sometimes a little faded at the tip but they tell me that happens usually in the last week.

On natural nails they tend to last 7-10 days.

yes thats more what id hoped for really...not sure what i did wrong then

might not have been you...was she looking after them...??....gloves etc...??

TBO i think it depends on some clients nails....if someone has thin bendy nails i find they don't last as well.

If you're using a professional, high end, brand of base coat, enamel and top coat you will find they'll last well, however, it depends on how well clients look after their nails.
If (for example) your auntie didn't wear gloves when washing up etc then her enamel won't last as long, aftercare with natural nails is just as important as it is with enhanced nails.

cant think of any reason as such that would make them chip too soon......she works as a classroom assistant, she has a dishwasher! lol i used a base coat, two of the colour and a top coat...all OPI, and i thought her nails were pretty good to work on...no problems althoughtthey did have slight vertical ridges on them....which i believe is probably age-related?

As Angie has said, someone with thin bendy nails will have problems keeping it on for long . . . my own nails are by nature quite papery and thin and I can do an OPI base, 2xcolour and their top coat and it's cracking by the next evening :cry: Thank goodness for nail enhancements :biggrin:

This may sound a bit daft but i swear it has to do with the weather. When its cold, as in really cold i notice that enamel does tend to chip and does not last as long.
Maybe it has to do with the enamel falling below desired temperature.
If not then i really do need to visit my GP, lol.

This may sound a bit daft but i swear it has to do with the weather. When its cold, as in really cold i notice that enamel does tend to chip and does not last as long.
Maybe it has to do with the enamel falling below desired temperature.
If not then i really do need to visit my GP, lol.

That dont sound daft....i know the weather affects my skin..makes it dry and that so its no surprise it could affect your nsils too x

my own nails are by nature quite papery and thin and I can do an OPI base, 2xcolour and their top coat and it's cracking by the next evening :cry: Thank goodness for nail enhancements :biggrin:

I am so glad I am not the only one. I thought I was doing something wrong I too use one base coat, 2 colours, one top coat again OPI, I wear gloves when in water, but they are cracking by the next day.

To be honest my nails have never been the same since having my kids. When I was pregnant they were as strong as anything and beautifully long, but since having them, they are so weak and flimsy.

I have tried OTC strengtheners, and professional ones, but nothing seems to help. I have tried OPI and Creative, can anyone recommend anything else.

I use OPI lacquer but use and love Creatives Super Shiney topcoat and Stickey base coat. Not had any complains so far. I personally dont find the opi top and base coat do a good job, the topcoat seems to turn to gloop!

As above most clients go weeks with polish on enhancements and 5-10 days on natural nails.

As Angie has said, someone with thin bendy nails will have problems keeping it on for long . . . my own nails are by nature quite papery and thin and I can do an OPI base, 2xcolour and their top coat and it's cracking by the next evening :cry:

I have this problem too! But one of my clients had a manicure and I applied the polish in exactly this way and it lasted her 10 days.

I know, I've had clients report it lasting well over a week too . . . . sickening! But then their nails are A LOT stronger than my babies!!

sarahmorg1 - OPI Nail Envy is the only strengthener I've ever known to make a difference - obv it doesn't really make any difference to the condition of the nail underneath but it does protect it and doesn' peel off like a lot of them. hth

well, think about what this clients nails go thru on a daily basis, compared to other occupations. classroom assistant is pretty full on! Compared to stay at home mum etc. Of course it boils down to how active that stay at home mum is eg. watching dr phil and oprah, 2 loads of washing PMSL,cooking dinner<load of dishes in the washer (of course). I find a swipe of scrubfesh prior to base works well..make sure u are capping the free edge with each product. also retail her a bottle of whatever topcoat u are using to use every third or so day helps ALOT. HTH

I think obviously depending on profession and the way the client looks after their nails and enamel, then 7-10 days is the norm. on enhancements, I have 4 weekly clients with their enamel still entact, dull, but still on!

Plus, I dont think we should berate stay at home Mums.

p.s I think using solar oil on a regular basis, and a good top coat will make enamel last longer.

:hug:xxxx

Hayls,hun, i wasn't berating stay at home mums in general. More going on my own experience as a stay at home mum,lol.
I so loved getting everything done in time for DrPhil...i so miss those days! Although i only had two children, so it was pretty easy, compared to juggling full time work, plus small children...that would be very difficult..hats off to those mums!

Latest posts

Back