Polishing Acrylic Nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shazzar

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I'm having a real problem with painting acrylic nails - not the applying of polish but how long the polish lasts on my client.

My routine is (using all Creative products): scrub nails with scrubfresh, apply one coat of Stickey base, applying two coats of chosen colour, allowing to dry inbetween and then I apply my top coat and finish off with a spray of the solar silk spray.

It doesn't peel or chip but what happens is the edges of the nail's colour wear away. I'm ensuring that the nails are dry before my client leaves. I've seen her nails when this has happened and I see no smudging, no cracking. I see nothing other than where the colour has worn off at the free edge.

It's driving me mad. I heard somebody say that it was because it was on acrylic nails that this was happening but I know this is not right.

Can somebody please tell me how to overcome this problem?

Thanks,

Hi there,
I find NSI Airshield is the best topcoat for applying over artificial nail. It dries in 3 minutes and polish easily lasts 2 weeks.
To stop the polish wearing away at the free edge you should instruct your client to apply top coat every other day to stop this happening.
HTH

Clare

Thanks for replying Clare. It starts happening from the same day it's applied, literally. My mum's are also the same. I know I can trust what she's saying that she's not 'interfering' with the polish in any way. Thanks for the suggestion of NSI.

Sharon

Hi Sharon
That is weird that it starts rubbing off straight away, are you making sure there is no oil on the nail? are your polishes good quality and not old and gunky? are you using an acrylic nail base coat? clare

Hi Clare

All my polishes are Creative and are no more than 4 months old. I'm scrubfreshing before applying the base coat and then 2 coats of colour, then finishing with a top coat.

I'm so cross cos I really can't see what else I should or shouldn't do!!!!

hmm... that sounds odd.

What top coat are you using?

Hiya, I'm using Out the Door and have also used Speedy.....

do know if this helps but this happens to me...i work in a printers (nails still part time yet) and my nail polish wears off at the free edge from the repetative work that i do...the main culprit is believe it or not CARDBOARD! keep putting my hands in to boxes my nails touch the cardboard the polish melts away! sounds silly i know but i have had this problem for 18months or so with top coat without etc makes no difference!
Kat xxx
:Grope:

:confused: Hmmm how frustrating!!!!!:confused: Have you buffed the Nails to a high shine before you've base coated???? Maybe this isnt helping????& have you allowed each coat to dry a little before you've applied the next???? Sometimes with clients that use their hands alot we paint a coat only on the free edge, then two coats over top.allow approx a min&1/2. Then topcoat.:irked: Can be very frustrating....:irked: Sometimes room temp has something to do with it tooo! I to use CND enamels, Can't understand whatssup?? Best of Luck... Kind Regards :hug: xxxxxxx jnail AUSTRALIAxxxxxxx

Hiya,
Do you cap the free edge with the nail enamel and top coat? You could try changing the top coat. I changed my top coat to seche vite and i apply to thin coats and the clients have noticed the difference, because their nails were wearing in a couple of days to. Good luck!
x galaxy x

Hi
I do the same as Galaxy - cap the free edge with polish and topcoat. I found it made a huge difference. Topcoats I use are usually Creative's but have used others too.

Sharon, have you tried Creatives super shiney top coat? It gives excellent results and I use the same methods as you..hope this helps :)

I wear polish on my L&P Nails and have used Base, POlish and Top Coat from Star's Opi's and Creatives ranges on myself, either mixed and matched or used one brand only and I have no problems with my polish....I type all day long so my fee edge does take some abuse but lasts about 2 weeks...

I really do pull the top coat over the tip of the nail....hth

Thanks everyone for your responses. Maybe the extra capping at the free edge is what I need. I'll give a go next time.

Many thanks x

Latest posts

Back