Polite reply for when you can’t fit client in?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gorgeouslocks21

Reaction score
I work by myself from home offering hair extension services.
After doing it for 4 years I’ve started getting a bad back so have dropped my hours. Also found doing everything myself stressful as was taking too much on.. hate turning people away.

So I made it very aware to clients I was dropping my hours so to book in advance As i won’t squeeze them in last minute.
BUT I still get clients (mainly my regulars who have been with me ages) who don’t book in advance and literally end up begging me to squeeze them in one last time.. so I do but then it just happens again next time because but they don’t book in advance.

Some have got abit annoyed when I can’t fit them in and say ‘but my hair my get damaged waiting that long for maintenance’ like it’s my fault!

I want to reply in a firm way but also a kind way as I don’t really want to loose them as clients. But I feel like they are not respecting my time and job..

Sorry for the rant!

Just be like ‘if you don’t book in for your maintenance in advance I cannot guarantee you a slot, these are my working hours and I don’t work outside of these’

You need to set strict new boundaries with your clients and stick to them.

Remember, whatever their problem is, it isn’t your job to fix it. They will have to find the solution that doesn’t inconvenience you.

Draft a message to add to your website/wherever you advertise along the following lines...
Please note that from x date, I will be reducing the number of available appointments during the week and therefore I cannot guarantee to accommodate any last minute bookings. If you require an appointment on a specific date, you will need to book it in advance.
Thank you for your continued support.

Anyone that tries to cajole you into ‘just do it for me, this once.....’ scenario, you say, ‘No, I can’t help you on this occasion. My next available appt. is x...’

Don’t add unnecessary words like ‘sorry’ or make up unnecessary excuses. You just need to be firm and consistent and repeat the same phrase over and over. As soon as you back down once, you’ve lost.

It is hard in the beginning if you’re used to being a people pleaser but the good news is that you can change this behaviour. It’s all about repetition. Practice having these difficult conversations in front of the mirror or with a partner or friend.

Tell them they have to book their next appointment when they are with you, if they don’t say there will be a 4-8 weeks waiting list

Latest posts

Back