Politics-I don't understand

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grace_Hair

Reaction score
I checked Facebook this morning, and everyone is seething that conservative got in.

I'm oblivious to what they've done that's so bad?

I checked Facebook this morning, and everyone is seething that conservative got in.

I'm oblivious to what they've done that's so bad?
The ones seething will be the ones who's party of choice did not get in - simple.

A bit late now as the election is over, but if anything in the lead up to the election there was information overload. Even I stopped watching the Debates!
Of course everyone on FB will be espousing their views, and some quite aggressively which is why most forums don't like politics being discussed, and I suspect this thread will be closed before a discussion starts.

But Tori992 do some research find out about politics, look up what the Conservative Party stands for, what they have done whilst in government. Do likewise for the other political parties. Who is your local MP what have they done for your area? You can look up on a Westminster website how hard working (or not) they are.
Also talk to people, your parents, grandparent workmates and find out their views, and then make up your own mind what political party would do more to bring about a better way of life for everyone in the UK.
Politics affects everyone, and it is important to be more politically aware.

Thing is, one size does not fit all.
So you're always going to get people unhappy with the government of the day.

There are millions of people in the UK and in very simple terms...

If interest rates go up over the course of 6 months, this is great news for the wealthier people with plenty of savings as it will earn them more money each month.

On the other hand, this is very bad news for people with loans such as mortgages as this means that their mortgage payments will increase each month and they'll have less spare cash for food, clothes etc.

So, one group of people will benefit from Tory policies and the vast majority will not.

Simples. :)

Yes I agree with Izzidoll, it does affect everyone and it's something you should make your own mind up about after looking into it more.

I wouldn't say I'm seething but I was very disappointed to the see the results this morning.

The ones seething will be the ones who's party of choice did not get in - simple.
I get that. But, the way some people have written it, implies that the conservatives have done something hideous like public kitten beheadings?!

Its difficult to sift through all of the real points and be subjective about each party. People generally look to a candidate that will benefit them personally rather than the country/everyone holistically. Those needing more government support services will usually identify with labor and those needing less government services and support will usually identify with conservative.

I generally avoid politics simply because I think the average person (me) will never understand the breadth and complexities of the issues well enough to be informed enough to make great decisions on the issues. I don't like making decisions on superficial facts and that is generally what debates and campaigns tend to focus on.

Saying that, I believe the economy is still in a tender state. Government efficiency needs to increase to support a recovery economy. This path inevitably impacts those that need more government support more than those that don't which is certainly not good for many that really need that support. But nor is an economy that can't support the spend required to support those services long term. Services need to be sustainable.

I suppose conservative won today, but if the economy can continue to strengthen then the tides will most certainly turn for next election.

The worst thing is to feel your vote doesn't count. I felt like that for years as my area was very much a stronghold for a certain party.
However up here in Scotland the referendum, no matter the outcome, got people especially young people politically engaged. Which is brilliant!
Turnouts at the polls are way up, 74% in my area and things have changed and people do feel their vote does count.

Were there numbers on turnout for this election Izz? I assume it was FB, but felt people were at least less apathetic than in the past.

Me? I'm a foreigner so I couldn't participate :(

I've not seen the overall figures Sam I just know in my constituency it was 74%. Trying to keep up in between clients, and sleep deprived from watching the results [emoji15]
Thought you'd been here long enough to get citizenship ;)

Thought you'd been here long enough to get citizenship

Pretty sure I can do, but to be honest I have never looked into it as the only time I have ever had the need is to vote :)

My daughter felt she knew too little about the policies so voted for the party that would be kindest to animals. We felt this would be green! At least she voted for the part she wanted to!

I have just had to sit and listen to a client espousing her politics while I did her Brazilian - she said it really hurt today ;)

I tried to keep up with the bombardment of information.
But I just felt I had missed something when every one else seemed so upset?

I get that. But, the way some people have written it, implies that the conservatives have done something hideous like public kitten beheadings?!

Well the conservatives haven't (yet!) beheaded kittens, but they've had a good go at foxes and badgers....give them time!

I've been following it a lot this year and I'm now even more confused than ever. I mean the people who are in politics must all be intelligent people and they all have such different views. I started a thread about the election on here and it got closed but I hope this one is not closed so that I can see some different views from all over the UK and even the world. Maybe the UK can learn something from past mistakes or things that has gone right abroad. I personally believe that the politicians only rule certain people and certain things. For example if you were proper rich and you didn't like the way a county was run you could just leave that country and go live in another one. I do believe in this one percent thing when people own so much and have so much they are kind of above politics and the law. Can't explain it but just from things I've read on line xx

From what my friend said about Facebook and what I've seen on the news I think the reason people are petitioning is because conservative have won with a suspiciously large amount of votes. And yet a lot of people say in those particular areas that conservative have got a seat, the people didn't vote conservative. And when voting, in most areas it was in pencil, so some people are saying that could have been tampered with. Unless everyone is forced to reveal there votes and its recounted it won't change, it's done now.
I'll be glad when we can get back to normality lol.

People get far too upset about the whole thing. They all make promises they don't keep. Somebody will always be unhappy and will moan. If it annoys you that much leave the UK.

No matter who gets/got in, they will mess it up for some and benefit for others. No party with give a manifesto to suit everyone.

As others have said, most go for who will benefit them the most And.who offers a little more into whst you stand.for.

But the fact people vote and put their little X in the box is good enough. More.so for the women (History lesson alert! Lol) Emmiline Pankhurst was dragged from a protest outside Buckenham palace in 1914 fighting for all women to have the.right to vote, she, and.others were locked up, tortchered, beaten. Abused for yrs after the war and her.continued fighting it was finally passed in 1928 all women have that right to vote. So for me I get a little historic and put my X in so all their hard work wasn't done for nothing....here endeth history lesson haha

No matter who gets/got in, they will mess it up for some and benefit for others. No party with give a manifesto to suit everyone.

As others have said, most go for who will benefit them the most And.who offers a little more into whst you stand.for.

But the fact people vote and put their little X in the box is good enough. More.so for the women (History lesson alert! Lol) Emmiline Pankhurst was dragged from a protest outside Buckenham palace in 1914 fighting for all women to have the.right to vote, she, and.others were locked up, tortchered, beaten. Abused for yrs after the war and her.continued fighting it was finally passed in 1928 all women have that right to vote. So for me I get a little historic and put my X in so all their hard work wasn't done for nothing....here endeth history lesson haha

I agree!

I think of all the sacrifices those women made for us, how hard they fought & just how angry we would be if we couldn't vote so always make sure I do

Latest posts

Back