Poll - Geek Xmas in October??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geek Christmas in October

• Yes, great idea

Votes: 31 57.4%
  • No, please say why

Votes: 23 42.6%

• Total voters

VHunter

Reaction score
Ok ladies and gents...
I just got to thinking....(yes, that IS a scary thing LOL)
After last Geek-Xmas and learning how crazy it was organizing it....
I've had a thought or two. (yes, that does happen now and then :lol:)

How about CHRISTMAS IN OCTOBER?????
You're asking "why'?

Ok, here's the 'WHY'
At christmas, most of us are insanely busy. Busy with clients, and busy with our own family xmas stuff to do.
Add to that, the post service is abysmal at that time of year.
And lastly, at xmas, we are usually strapped for cash because of our family gifts/client gifts/baking-food expenditures for the holidays.

Having said all of that, I've come to the conclusion we should hold "Geek Xmas" in October.
Why October?
Well, it's still a bit close to Xmas, but not so close as to add to our already heavy burdens.
It's a bit of a quiet season, so plenty of time to shop.. (and plenty of time for me to do my Santa-Geek thing LOL)
Summer is out of the question for the obvious reasons.
January too, for obvious reasons too (ya know, those darn bills from xmas show up then LOL)
Spring is spring cleaning and all of that craziness, like gardening and such....

Sooo October gives ME all of September to get things organized... and sorted... and then October you all can shop like crazy and mail things and they'll get there on time?

SO THE QUESTION IS:
Who wants "Geek-Christmas" along with the "SECRET SANTA" in October and thinks this is a good idea?
If yes, answer "YES GREAT IDEA"
If no, then answer 'NO" and WHY .....

Thanks in advance for all of your responses
:hug:

(yes, I should have made this a poll, but premie status not sorted yet, and I REFUSE to harass Sam when I'm sure he has other things to do, and I wanted to ask this while it was on my mind and I had 5min to do it)
(ps: I'm pretty sure some beautiful, sexy, smart, talented Mod will make it a poll or make it a stickey for me :lol::Love::Kissing::hug:

I would love xmas in October, I love xmas and to have 2 in one year would be fantastic,
also I go on holiday at for xmas and new year, so I can celebrate here and celebrate over there wow :):):)

Yes great idea Vic:hug:

Sounds like a good idea!

Fab idea.. oohhhhh 2 xmas in one year

yes I think its a great idea :green:

(yes, I should have made this a poll, but premie status not sorted yet, and I REFUSE to harass Sam when I'm sure he has other things to do, and I wanted to ask this while it was on my mind and I had 5min to do it)
(ps: I'm pretty sure some beautiful, sexy, smart, talented Mod will make it a poll or make it a stickey for me :lol::Love::Kissing::hug:

See?

I told you we had some beautiful, sexy, smart & talented mods:!:

:hug:

What a fantastic idea!!! What does a Geeky Christmas entail? Do we get each other gifts?

yeh I agree sound great what does it involve hun ?

What a fantastic idea!!! What does a Geeky Christmas entail? Do we get each other gifts?

Geeky-Xmas is mostly about "secret Santa"
How that works, if you haven't heard of it before is this:
I collect everyone's names and home addresses and a detailed list of their interests (from those that submit the info for participation, not everyone participates).
Then i take the list, and randomly mix everyone up.
Each participant will be randomly assigned a geek to whom they will send a geeky xmas gift. The 'receiver" will NOT know who is gifting them UNTIL they receive their gift. Hence why it's a "secret" santa.
A limit is imposed on the amount you can spend to avoid embarassing anyone with tight budgets and to also avoid 'competition' as to who spent the most. Most importantly, becuase this is an international forum, shipping expenses can become pricey.
So, it's more of a "I thought of you" or "cutesy" or "gag" gift. It's not a gift contest.
It's about geek spirit and giving and fun.

I had considered last year, that we might have a chat room available and a date set where we can all meet and open our gifts together. This idea is still in the works BUT NOT FIRM.. and I dont know how I'll arrange it yet.

I'm sure if you do a "search" you'll find all the threads from last geeky xmas, including rules and such (rules/guidelines will be adjusted this year, to reflect learning experience's from last year LOL)

I hope this helps:
http://www.salongeek.com/chit-chat/45724-secret-santa.html
http://www.salongeek.com/chit-chat/45715-who-wants-have-secret-santa-geek.html
http://www.salongeek.com/news/45731-geeks-getting-into-x-mas-spirit.html
http://www.salongeek.com/chit-chat/46452-official-secret-santas-been-thread.html

tonnes of info there. That's all last year's Geeky Xmas. I want to try to outdo myself this year, so I'm trying to think of other ideas to add to it. Will keep you posted.
:green:

It had to be a no from me lol

I wouldn't mind getting it all sorted in October but I would hang on to the pressie until xmas anyway, id refuse to open it ! :lol:

No from me too xmas is december but wouldnt mind doing the secret santa in oct :)

that sounds great yet another excuse to shop....like i need one:)

Well Victoria, are you ever organized :lol::lol:

I think it's a great idea, can't believe I am talking about Christmas in July!!!!!:lol:

Christmas in October I can manage ... just don't bring it forward any further, or we'll be celebrating at Easter :lol:

i love doing secret santa we do it at work every year!

i have said yes i would love to do it. i sadly missed doing it last year so bring on xmas oct 2007!

ho ho ho !!

It had to be a no from me lol

I wouldn't mind getting it all sorted in October but I would hang on to the pressie until xmas anyway, id refuse to open it ! :lol:

You are not, in any way, shape or form obligated to open your pressie in October. If you are able to sit there looking at it, unopened until december, then by all means, do so.

I know I couldn't, not for 5minutes :lol:

The idea of opening together is not yet completely formulated, and may not even happen. Chat room's being a pita to arrange and all of that, and then fixing a time where "most" (not possible for all) to be availalbe.... As i said, it's an idea being tossed around.

You get a big thumbs up from me hun, it will be loads easier for everyone in oct, :hug:
Saint Victoria strikes again lol

not for me sorry....i loved the secret santa last year and to be honest any problems that where had in dec last year could well still happen in any month.

i am a bit of a old traditionalist and hate seeing easter eggs on the shelfs in january and tinsel for sale in august....sorry. xx

crimbo in october sounds good to me!:green::green::green:

Latest posts

Back