Poll - Geek Xmas in October??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geek Christmas in October

• Yes, great idea

Votes: 31 57.4%
  • No, please say why

Votes: 23 42.6%

• Total voters
Geeky-Xmas is mostly about "secret Santa"
How that works, if you haven't heard of it before is this:
I collect everyone's names and home addresses and a detailed list of their interests (from those that submit the info for participation, not everyone participates).
Then i take the list, and randomly mix everyone up.
Each participant will be randomly assigned a geek to whom they will send a geeky xmas gift. The 'receiver" will NOT know who is gifting them UNTIL they receive their gift. Hence why it's a "secret" santa.
A limit is imposed on the amount you can spend to avoid embarassing anyone with tight budgets and to also avoid 'competition' as to who spent the most. Most importantly, becuase this is an international forum, shipping expenses can become pricey.
So, it's more of a "I thought of you" or "cutesy" or "gag" gift. It's not a gift contest.
It's about geek spirit and giving and fun.

I had considered last year, that we might have a chat room available and a date set where we can all meet and open our gifts together. This idea is still in the works BUT NOT FIRM.. and I dont know how I'll arrange it yet.

I'm sure if you do a "search" you'll find all the threads from last geeky xmas, including rules and such (rules/guidelines will be adjusted this year, to reflect learning experience's from last year LOL)

I hope this helps:
http://www.salongeek.com/chit-chat/45724-secret-santa.html
http://www.salongeek.com/chit-chat/45715-who-wants-have-secret-santa-geek.html
http://www.salongeek.com/news/45731-geeks-getting-into-x-mas-spirit.html
http://www.salongeek.com/chit-chat/46452-official-secret-santas-been-thread.html

tonnes of info there. That's all last year's Geeky Xmas. I want to try to outdo myself this year, so I'm trying to think of other ideas to add to it. Will keep you posted.
:green:

Thanks for all that. I think you'll find it's a definite YES from me! :green:

:hug:

Victoria we will have to sort something out for you this year... not that I didn,t like doing it for you last year..but I think it should be someone else this year:lol::lol: I know how you loved the M & S Hunbugs I got you so if any of you geeks out there wish to be Victortias santa this year please pm me instead of her and it can all be arranged..

I repeat...... PM ME NOT HER !!!!! then she will not know who it is and only one of us will..

Don,t mean to take your thunder hun :hug::hug::hug:

Victoria we will have to sort something out for you this year... not that I didn,t like doing it for you last year..but I think it should be someone else this year:lol::lol: I know how you loved the M & S Hunbugs I got you so if any of you geeks out there wish to be Victortias santa this year please pm me instead of her and it can all be arranged..

I repeat...... PM ME NOT HER !!!!! then she will not know who it is and only one of us will..

Don,t mean to take your thunder hun :hug::hug::hug:

SWEETHEART:!:

it's not even October yet:!: :smack:

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm already very well spoiled, and a few very darling geeks send me humbugs now and then. I just received a pkg from sweetie Bev Rose.... and I'm LOVING THEM:!:
( I swear, the addiction is worse than my addiction to ciggarettes LOL)

I do NOT do this to get things. I do it because it's fun, because it gives me pleasure and I get a huge charge out of seeing so many people smile and have fun.
And I get a chance to give back to the geek site, after all it has given me.

:hug: :Kissing:

I still love ya though, as silly as you are :wink2:

Sorry but I will not take no as an answer... (do you hear me!!!!:lol:)
I know you do this out of the kindness of you heart but its just no far that we get all the fun waiting for the postie to arrive.. when I know its just as much fun for you..

So enough said.. ok is the answer i,m getting from you wether you like it or not !!!!!

Love ya too:hug::hug:

Don,t make me get a poll started

:p :p :p :p

(that is the smiley that sticks out it's tongue, right? LOL)

:lol:

:p :p :p :p

(that is the smiley that sticks out it's tongue, right? LOL)

:lol:
LOL

Good job we don,t see each other.. I think we would be very hot headed mates:lol::lol:

I hate to say it but no not for me....I like to keep Christmas in December.

You can count me in, sounds like fun.

As im such a big kid at heart 2 christmas would be great.:lol:

Count me in i missed last year excited now xxx

Ummm the summer flew by, where did it go?:eek:

I see that I will have to get to work soon, and get this started, aye?

Will post another thread soon with all the pertinent info.

THANKS!

For various reasons, some peeps did get their gifts late last season. So for this reason, I think it is fitting that geeks can organize their Secret Santas ahead of time. Hey, I start my Christmas shopping as early in the year as I can :green:.

Personally, I still think the specialness of Christmas should be kept until December though, so depending on where my receiver lives, will depend on when I post my gift to them. JMO. I have voted yes to October.

I voted 'no' too but only because i love the busy-ness at xmas!:green:

Mad i know but i really love the xmas spirit, going late night shopping when its really cold, all the xmas lights on and the music playing! I think i would feel a bit odd, wrapping a gift and sending it to someone as early as oct!

That sounds like a lot of fun! What do I do to be a part of this?

No > Sorry hun,but october is way too far away,and it's just NOT xmas.

Secret santa really got the crimbo mood going.

I'm afraid I have to say no too. It just won't feel Christmassy enough and will also be a little weird doing Secret Santa before Halloween! JMO.

How about a bit of a comprimise?? We get agreement in October and do the 'who buys for who' bit at the beginning of November? Then people have a month or 6 weeks to buy their gist and get it posted but it will be close enough to Christmas for everyone to get in the mood???

Anyway, I'm in - last years was so much fun!!

hth's

i love the secret santa but would prefer it a bit closer to xmas , xx

How about a bit of a comprimise?? We get agreement in October and do the 'who buys for who' bit at the beginning of November? Then people have a month or 6 weeks to buy their gist and get it posted but it will be close enough to Christmas for everyone to get in the mood???

hth's

Sounds good to me! I didn't get involved last year because I was a scaredy-cat lurker back then (good grief, you can't shut me up now!:lol:) but I'm definitely up for it this year.

hth's
That sounds about right. I'm in too.
Sals, I can't believe you were a scaredy lurker, you spout off far too much for that.:lol::hug:

Latest posts

Back