Poor level 2 training, what should I do now?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

islandzippy

Reaction score
I feel really unconfident about my level 2 training in facials - I can do a really lovely relaxing facial but I was not taught skin analysis in any detail or extractions. I can't mix a mask and I have not found anywhere on line that explains methods or recipes. Can anyone advise on what to do to improve my knowledge? Is there anyone who would cover these things if I did brand training - e.g. Eve Taylor Dermalogica or should I do more advanced training where there might be an overlap? Is there any good online training or do I need to do the level 2 facial section again with another trainer even though I have the qualification? Or would I learn these things once I begin working? Any advice would be really welcome please?

Hi Islandzippy

Facials are covered again in a level 3 beauty diploma You learn a longer massage, usually about 20 minutes, detailed skin analysis and apply mask down to the collar bones. Prescription mask making and cosmetic ingredients is more of a level 3 syllabus. I’m not sure if it’s covered if you do stand alone units like level 3 facials - usually that’s for electrical work.

i haven’t done Eve Taylor or Dermalogica training. I’d have thought your questions will be covered more by Eve Taylor training than Dermalogica but they are both good training companies.

If you want to do refresher training, find a good company that’s been recommended and get in touch, explaining your concerns. I’d definitely recommend some one to one. I wouldn’t bother with redoing a VTCT course, but if you don’t have a VTCT or a CIBTAC qualification, maybe consider taking one of those courses.

If I could jump in and make a suggestion about looking at the "Gateway workshops" course offered. It may be what you are looking for.
Their Beauty facial Accredited Diploma course offers where your weaknesses are.
Although it says it is for beginners, don't be put off by that.... I think it will be what you need without signing up to a specific brand at the moment.

I have trained with Gateway and I can only say from my experience just how good they were. ( My course was not facials btw ) I know that even now if I needed to contact the trainer, she would still be there to help me out. Some of us like to have the knowledge that after the course we are not left deserted and can have the benefit of additional help if we need it.
They also offer a free second workshop if you don't feel that you have gained enough from the first.

They will use the products of a skin care brand that you may wish also to start with when you are up and running so don't invest until you have done the course.

I feel really unconfident about my level 2 training in facials - I can do a really lovely relaxing facial but I was not taught skin analysis in any detail or extractions. I can't mix a mask and I have not found anywhere on line that explains methods or recipes. Can anyone advise on what to do to improve my knowledge? Is there anyone who would cover these things if I did brand training - e.g. Eve Taylor Dermalogica or should I do more advanced training where there might be an overlap? Is there any good online training or do I need to do the level 2 facial section again with another trainer even though I have the qualification? Or would I learn these things once I begin working? Any advice would be really welcome please?

Can I just jump in and say well done on realising your skills are slightly lacking and investigating how to improve, and knowing what you want to learn and improve on. It's so great to get newbies coming on asking for advice and being open to learning knowing there's a skill gap they want to correct and even prepared to redo their training to get where they want to be.

I hope you get the great training you deserve and wish you massive success in your new career

Thank you to everyone who replied for your advice and kind words - it's been really helpful.

Latest posts

Back