poor quality training!?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missyg

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I graduated in mid may from a Nail tech diploma course at a very reputable school in my city. I graduated with a 93% average. I also previously took LCN's Level 1 and 2 training. I was hired at a very upscale spa a few weeks before my graduation, and began my training May 15. I have been practicing on volunteer models, and after each set the nails are assessed by management. It has now been almost 6 weeks, and they are going to let me begin working on "real" clients July 8th! Is it normal to take this long after school to get good enough? I am feeling sooo discouraged! I was under the impression that once I graduated, I wouldn't be GREAT right away, but I figured I'd be good enough! I paid a lot of money and invested a lot of my time into these courses, but to be honest I feel as though I've learned more in 6 weeks at the spa, then I did in 6 months at school! It just really doesn't seem to me as though there are enough practical hours to the training! Am I just not that good?!!?

i'd say you have nothing to worry about. doing nails is not as easy as it looks, and no beginers course can make you an instant nail tech. what it should do is arm you with all the knowledge you need to be able to begin practicing your new techniques until you have reached a skill level that is saleable to clients.

i seems to me that your spa bosses are very responsible employers, who dont want to throw you in at the deep end and put you under more pressure than is reasonable. they must obviously value the clientelle too as they want to be sure you are fully prepared to work on them.

Hey everyone! I graduated in mid may from a Nail tech diploma course at a very reputable school in my city. I graduated with a 93% average. I also previously took LCN\\\'s Level 1 and 2 training. I was hired at a very upscale spa a few weeks before my graduation, and began my training May 15. I have been practicing on volunteer models, and after each set the nails are assessed by management. It has now been almost 6 weeks, and they are going to let me begin working on "real" clients July 8th! Is it normal to take this long after school to get good enough? I am feeling sooo discouraged! I was under the impression that once I graduated, I wouldn\\\'t be GREAT right away, but I figured I\\\'d be good enough! I paid a lot of money and invested a lot of my time into these courses, but to be honest I feel as though I\\\'ve learned more in 6 weeks at the spa, then I did in 6 months at school! It just really doesn\\\'t seem to me as though there are enough practical hours to the training! Am I just not that good?!!?
Dont be discouraged, be thankful that you are working for a salon with standards to uphold. And after all you have learnt a great deal at this spa. Nothing beats on the job learning.
Not many people come fresh out of training able to produce salon quality nails..which most of schools wont admit to you while you are training..but would you have been prepared to have paid the mega bucks to have reached this standard before your pass..if the the school offered this? I think it would be beyond anyones reach. Be glad you are in a reputable spa..your time will come soon enough.
Enjoy working there..it sounds like a great place!

You probably won't want to hear this, but despite having excellent training myself, i have been doing nails for three an a half years and its only been in the last few months that i feel i am finally doing good nails.

I have always done okay nails after loads of practise, but experience cannot be bought, it only comes with time and doing loads of clients nails. I didn't feel confident enough doing nails untill at least a year after training.

It is annoying that it can take so long, but believe me, its worth it when you out the time and effort in.

I am still doing training now to refresh what i know, you are never finished with learning believe me. Keep at it hun, salon experience is the best thing. The more clients you do, the better tech you'll become.

I did my original training in 2001 and I thought I was good enough to be let loose on the paying public straight away, but I wasn't.

you have to look at it like this, in a salon they will expect you to be able to do a set in say an hour an hour and a half. It is their reputation at stake if you are not up to scratch.

I would advise you that you should just keep practising and practising and when you are good enough for them to let you work on the public, go and get some more training and continue learning throughout your nail career, training will help solve any small problems you come across and help you learn new techniques as they become available.

The practical time you spend is your own .. you will never get it on a course.

Speak to any doctor or dentist ... first they learn how to do the job at school, then they go out and open their practise or work for someone else and the REAL learning begins. Rome WASN'T built in a day.

And remember: Gigi's mantra!!

PRACTISE DOES NOT MAKE PERFECT .... PERFECT PRACTISE MAKES PERFECT!!

You never stop learning, something new will always keep coming I have been doing nails
for 10mths now and still don't feel like I am a top class nail tech though I know I am good, but there is alway's room for improvement. so don't be disheartened that you had to prove yourself first, if you look around the sights you will find techs in the buisness for years who have the odd problems, so cheer up and good luck in your new job

Thank you sooo much everyone! I feel so much better now! I think I just needed to hear from others that this is a common occurence!:Love:

Latest posts

Back