Poorly fingers! Advice please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Angel

Premium Geek
Reaction score
Hello everyone

My most valued nail tech (kath) has developed very poorly fingers of late she has been doing nails for about 2 years with no problems to date!
All of a sudden she has to wear gloves they are so sore but it dosnt seem to be helping much.
She slathers them in solar butter with cotton gloves on every night!
We use mainly Biosculpture, LCN and backscratchers.

Any advice would be very app

:) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm so sorry to hear this. It is a technician's nightmare.

Remember that allergies do not happen overnight. OVEREXPOSURE is a slow process until the skin says "I've had enough" and allergy ensues. Repeated exposure to a substance causes this reaction over a period of time.

Once allergic, she will always be allegic to that product. Gels being sticky, are easy to get onto the skin if extreme vigillance is not taken. Best to use gloves form the outset with gels.

She may be perfectly ok by changing her product to L&P or a wrap system. Still bearing in mind that uncured products should not come into contact with the skin. Every nail technician should bear this in mind at all times.

Dear geeg

Thank you so much for your quick reply, the problem is that 80% of our clients have biosculpture natural overlays and i know they wont want to change.
Sam mentioned in another thread that creative do some different gloves (she is using latex at the mo :o we didnt realise they were so bad!)
Do you think that it would help if she uses them instead?

Thanks again

Yes, it will certainly help her to wear gloves -- nitrile ones are much less risky than latex, and they are so sensitive that it is almost like not wearing gloves at all! She will have to be careful to keep out of the gel completely.

It will be a case of try it and see. Depends on how severe her reaction is as to whether or not she can tolerate being even in the same vicinity.

I had an acquaintance who was so severely allergic to EC resin that even the vapours from it set him going! Lets hope it is not that bad and that she can continue to do what she loves.

I had an allergy to a particular monomer that resulted in my fingers swelling up - they were extremely painful - burning sensation and looked absolutely awful. I stopped using the monomer but didn't wait for them to heal properly before using gloves, barrier cream etc. and nothing worked. I was mortified. I tried all different kinds of gloves and my hands just kept swelling up, itching like mad and burning. In the end I gave up for a while - about 3 months - and my hands returned to normal. Then a friend sent me some primerless monomer to try and I thought I would give it a go. To my surprise, no bad reaction and I was back in business again.
The answer for me was to let my hand recover properly and not use the monomer ever again that caused the problem.
I hope this gives some hope for the future.

Hi geeg

Its on her fingertips and its a bit like dermatitis (carnt spell sorry :o ) do you think it could be the strilizer or the soak off? She dosent really get any gel on herself. You use a very small amount with biosculpture. What do you think?

What could it be?
Something she is getting into repeatedly.
Possibly the solution used to wipe off the dispersion layer of the gel (if there is one with your gel?)
Possibly remover.
It really is a process of elimination here.
Itching is the first sign for any techinician (or anyone for that matter) that she/he is sensitive to something. If ignored, in time the body will become allergic to whatever it is.
I wouldn't worry so much about what it is and more about keeping all solutions off the skin.
Hairdressers and shampoo is a perfect example!! We all know of hairdressers who suffer from contact dermatitus from repeated exposure to the SLS in shampoos. Take care and cover up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back