PopIts - do u want to make or lose money?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarita

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

The reason im posting this is because a few geeks have already mentioned they will be charging considerably lower amounts for the popit service.

I have been talking to my husband about the new popits. I agree with him that we all should collaborate and not charge stupid low amounts for this service. What is any professional person doing nails doing it mainly for? Is it not to provide quality nails & to make a profit in the nail business? Of course it is.

We have brilliant opportunity here to be at the start of something new and can all work together to keep this a much wanted service at no less cost to ourselves. Why make less profit when we can all benefit? I’m not saying every single person is going to, but if we the majority stick to this we are all winners.

remember high quality doesn’t and shouldn’t come cheap. None of us are a charity here to give out clients the cheapest 'deal'.

Does not everyone realise we have been given the opportunity to save precious time, therefore making more money?

If we charge less money and do more people we will be making the same amount of money we make now!!

To illustrate:
if now using traditional methods we were to do
6 people in a day at £40.00 a set = £240
If you use popits & do 10 people in a day & charge LESS £25.00 = £250

You will have done 4 more people and only made £10 more !!

I know the price everyone charges differs from area to area, I charge £30 in my area for beautiful sculpted nails, but the principle is the same. I will not be charging less.

Why would anyone want to pass on any discount or advantage we get from creative to give to the consumer, when we are already giving them the best thing, beautiful nails in only 30-45 mins !! isnt that enough?

Remember time = money. And time is precious to us all:

Yesterday at the demo Gigi said herself "why do people go to the nss salons? because they can do sets in 30 mins, people put up with pain & bad nails because it saves precious time"

If techs offer this new service cheaper of course customers are not going to object! But why should we? they are not getting a lesser service, ie bad nails! But if this post still does’nt convince you then ill illustrate further.

Lets be optimistic and say each tech can do 6 sets a day at £40.00 = £240 for tips/sculpts, & it takes you 8-9 hours a day. You now use popits & as creative suggest it takes 45 mins (for pink & Whites), if you cheapen the service by £25.00 as samuel has suggested (he said from 40 to 25 say) then you make £300 if you do double the amount of people you would have to do 12 people.
But I doubt that many are going to have an influx of people wanting nails and doubt many techs seriously being able to do 12 in a day.

So do you want to fit more people in and make the same amount you make now, OR charge the same as you do now and make DOUBLE what you do now?

Gigi said she would not charge a penny less for the popit system and we will benefit & can make more money. We would be wise to listen to her !

I know I can’t make anyone do anything but this is just my opinion & my 2 cents worth on this exciting new nail extravaganza!

Cheers

Sara x

:hug:

I AGREE 100%:!:

I also think that the majority of us don't earn anywhere near what we SHOULD be earning by the hour. I think this will give us the opportunity to do so. SO WHY TAKE A PAY CUT?

I for one will look at this as a raise in my salary according to my skills, knowledge and experience AND the ability to offer a unique service in my area, as yet unseen.

As soon as I can get my mitts on a box, I'll be practicing like mad. I already have 'guinea pigs' (yes, I know you call them models, but my friends think it's funny to be guinea pigs and are proud to be so called :lol:) lined up, waiting in anticipation as I am.

The unfortunate part is the newbies I'll miss out on grabbing during the christmas season :cry: because I'll be fully booked and don't have the speed that popits offer.

I think I can safely say that most geeks are the variety of techs that seek out to be and work very hard to be the 'creme de la creme' of nail technicians. Knowledge and expert skills are sought. Most of us are passionate and want perfect nails. Our clients are not numbers in an assembly line. And while the service time may be shortened, our desire to offer top quality service is what sets us apart from NSS.

That said WHY would we want our prices to be anywhere near what the NSS charge?
In fact, most articles re: NSS & MMA warn consumers to avoid techs with low prices.
They encourage consumers to seek out techs that charge higher rates.

Soooooooo
after much thought and consideration... my prices in some areas will remain the same and other prices will go up. ABsolutely no decreases:!:
I will NOT lower prices for 'less time' because the shortened time means I'm offering yet another service/skill that other techs locally do NOT.

I am unique and my prices shall reflect it.

:green:

I in person spoke at length about this issue with Geeg yesterday and Sam also joined in on the conversation and although Geeg and I agree that we shouldnt charge less for this service Sam has the opinion that we should charge less due to the fact that what we charge should be based on our time and if we stick to our guns our competition will just end up under cutting us with this service and charge less.

In the end I think this is an issue that Geeg and Sam agreed to disagree on and my question should be should we charge MORE for doing a set of the more traditional Couture Nails (as Geeg has now named them) - food for thought!

These Pop-it nails do look very impressive when you see them done and I just dont think we should be cutting our nose of to spite our face when the end result is a near perfect looking set of nails that will get noticed.

I will be charging a reduced rate until xmas,simply because i need to perfect this new method of application,after that they will be the same price,however my custom blends and hand built french/glitter french will be increasing

My opinion is the same as Sam's!

I think the REAL problem is that people have reduced their bespoke sets so much to try and compete with the NSS that they are VASTLY undercharging in that area of their service. I think we should charge a little less for Popits AND use this opportunity to UP the prices of our bespoke sets to show there is a service value and difference between the two. I agree that people go to an NSS because they are quick - but also because they are cheaper.

I've always based my pricing on my overheads ... one of those overheads is time taken. My own opinion is that if we charge the same for a set of Popits as for bespoke it devalues the skill of bespoke. Thus we could get lazy because we know that we can make so much more money per hour with Popits.

This is of course my own opinion which some will agree with and some won't.

My opinion is the same as Sam's!

I think the REAL problem is that people have reduced their bespoke sets so much to try and compete with the NSS that they are VASTLY undercharging in that area of their service. I think we should charge a little less for Popits AND use this opportunity to UP the prices of our bespoke sets to show there is a service value and difference between the two. I agree that people go to an NSS because they are quick - but also because they are cheaper.

I've always based my pricing on my overheads ... one of those overheads is time taken. My own opinion is that if we charge the same for a set of Popits as for bespoke it devalues the skill of bespoke. Thus we could get lazy because we know that we can make so much more money per hour with Popits.

This is of course my own opinion which some will agree with and some won't.

I agree that yes we need to have a price difference between the pop-its and a couture set of nails that are sculpted in the bespoke way. I just feel that setting the price of the poppits at what we charge now and increasing the price bespoke set is a better proposition.

We are all constantly trying to improve our skills and improve the service we provide which also costs time and money and this should be reflected in any change of the price of the services we offer. If somebody does reduce their price of a treatment to me it doesnt give the impression of a professional that is improving their skills.

I said in an earlier post I know my clientelle and know that they will not pay anymore for their nails bespoke or not. That will then leave me to use poppits only. Its all well and good people saying you should value your work etc, but in some areas that is'nt the reality, I do value my work but would like to stay in business at the same time. You charge what you know is a reasonable rate and know that this is what people can afford. I am constantly being undercut by NSS and other technicians that try to compete with them but I have refused to bring my price down any further. I really do think that this is something that needs to be properly discussed and some sort of fair and just pricing agreements to avoid the very thing that we are constantly having to do, which is competing in prices. Everyone may say well you dont have to use the poppits but when other technicians will be offering them we will have to. I am excited about this new application method and can't wait to give it a try but the pricing is really worrying me.

i'm excited about them too, I will be reducing my prices (but when you think about the time i will save and the time it takes me to do them) almost 3 sets in the same time it would take me to do a normal set, it will actually be an increase in profit. If I can do 3 sets of poppits @$70 or even @$60 in the same time as it takes me to do one set of the norm @$100 ...... well, i'm in front, it's all relative as to what you want to charge.

Also, the cheaper the full set, the more clients you will get, then they will re-book for infills and soon enough your appointment book should be full.

There's no need to be greedy on the fullsets, they are gonna come back for infills (and that is a nail technicians bread and butter), also eventually many ...... "and i mean MANY" ....... (especially the acylic/gel challenged) will be offering them as an alternate to mastering a more difficult technique/system.

Many "cough" techs having trouble with application, blending and buffing and smile lines with the traditional methods will be screaming about finally getting a decent finish on a nail, ......... expect a price war. Keep in mind though ....... Clients dislike being ripped off.

One thing I am concerned about is what the client will think of the process, if they look easy and only take 20 mins, many clients will look at them as stickons done with acrylic and won't want to pay as much as a hard earned/worked/honed set of the norm type.

Another thought ..... will the method get respect enough to be offered a spot on the comp floor, or will they be fobbed off and considered akin to using white tips?

I'm trying to imagine almost everyone using them and the effect it will have on the supposed artistic industry/career we have enough trouble scrambling to earn respect in.

Ok I have thought about this alot and I finally have an opinion....
At the moment I charge $50AUS for a full set of Pink & white Acrylic
That would be about 45US or 25GBP
I think that my customers will be happy to pay the same amount for
an even better set of nails then what i currently do, because with PopIts
the finished result is near perfection and it cuts the time by over an hour.
They get better nails
Nails done much faster
Why would I drasticly reduce the price?? Especially when purshasing the
PopIts is going to up the overall cost of each set that I do with them.
I am going to drop my price to $40AUS and see how I go from there, I
will give the price an over view when i have had more client feedback about
it. Because at the end of the day if the customer thinks it to much to pay
they will go else where,but I am not going to work at a loss either.

This is very frustrating! In order to avoid a price war, many techs have said they will reduce their prices, and in doing so they are starting a price war.

I dont charge for my time, I charge for the product I use and the end result I deliver. If this is the same using popits, my prices will be the same.

The introduction of popits (from what I can gather) is to help the tech expand his/her business. Whats the point in doing twice as many sets of nails, thereby using twice the amount of products, but not earning twice as much from it?? I dont wish to be offensive to anyone and I'm sure I'll get shot down in flames for saying this, but there are some techs on here who I am sure are extremely talented, but clearly dont have any business acumen, otherwise we wouldnt even be having this conversation. I dont know about you, but I'm in this trade as a business, I'm not an artist, I'm in business and I'm not ashamed to say it.

I really can't make my mind up about this. I kind of agree with Carl. Think how many full sets you do compared to rebalances. Maintenance appointments should be your bread and butter, shouldn't they?

I'm off for a lie down as all this thinking has given me a headache!:green:

This is very frustrating! In order to avoid a price war, many techs have said they will reduce their prices, and in doing so they are starting a price war.

I dont charge for my time, I charge for the product I use and the end result I deliver. If this is the same using popits, my prices will be the same.

The introduction of popits (from what I can gather) is to help the tech expand his/her business. Whats the point in doing twice as many sets of nails, thereby using twice the amount of products, but not earning twice as much from it?? I dont wish to be offensive to anyone and I'm sure I'll get shot down in flames for saying this, but there are some techs on here who I am sure are extremely talented, but clearly dont have any business acumen, otherwise we wouldnt even be having this conversation. I dont know about you, but I'm in this trade as a business, I'm not an artist, I'm in business and I'm not ashamed to say it.

If I can do 3 sets of poppits @$70 or even @$60 in the same time as it takes me to do one set of the norm @$100 ...... well, i'm in front, it's all relative as to what you want to charge ..... thats $210 vs $100 . If time is money and you can double (or more) your money in the same time, (even by reducing your full set price)....

Same cost per set, but almost triple the money in the same time + triple the profit + triple the rebookings, you could be booked out doing refills at your original price for refills in less than 3 months ..... thats business acumen and thats expansion.

I think i need to smoke a poppit for it all to make sense.

I think i need to smoke a poppit for it all to make sense.

Mee too hun! phew.... i havent even seen a popit yet so i may give smoking one a go! :lol:

havent time to write a detailed reply...but
at the moment I have 28.50 for a full set of sculptured or tip and overlay...
although I have a "special offer" :rolleyes:
of 25 pounds,
I am thinking of charging 25 for the poppit enhancements...and upping my price of sculptured and coture tip and overlay to mabey 30..
my prices will vary for glitters etc..as they do usually...
god this is going to give me a headache lol :green:

Just for clarification, I am not advocating reducing prices or cutting your earnings... My suggestions almost doubles your hourly income and gives you a larger, more diverse customer base. :D

Just for clarification, I am not advocating reducing prices or cutting your earnings... My suggestions almost doubles your hourly income and gives you a larger, more diverse customer base. :D

Makes sense to me .....

Actually the cost of the product is very little and is only a factor in determining your price set!

I am an artist and I have oodles of business acumen as demonstrated in this thread I wrote http://www.salongeek.com/biz-geek/60522-sassy-guide-how-set-your-treatment-prices.html .

You can be both artist and business person! Actually no one in this thread has said they will cut their prices, just that they may charge a little less for Popits .... just as those who charge a little less for a set of traditional tip and overlay compared to a set of custom blend.

I live in an area where sculpted nails, are charged at a higher rate then tips, even if the tech strips your natural nail with a efile, does nothing with your cuticle and leaves you with the dreaded rings of fire. I frequently see nails that are a white tip stuck onto the natural nail with no attempt to take out the well and make the nail bed look longer and the only acrylic to be applied is clear.
So will I charge less for a sculpted nail that uses pink and white, leaves a beautiful natural nail behind itself and lets my busy clients out the door in the same time as the above named nail types?
No, I will promote these as fully sculpted nails in half the time with all the strength and beauty and see the nns try and get hold of them in this country:green: because at last we have something they cant buy, they can go to the international web site and it will tell them to contact SS and they, will want to see a recognized certificate of competence.
In your shoes Carl I would probably be doing what you are doing, because you already have a busy successful business and your prices reflect that so if you can use this service to bring more business into your very busy salon, thats a bonus for you. but here in the uk for me,its a different story, I don't want a level playing field with the nns I want to be ahead of them, I want something that will bring new customers through my door and then I want my quality of service to keep them with me. I want them to finally see that you don't have to put up with bleeding cuticles, hot spots, lines in the 2nd and 3rd zone just to be able to get your nails done in your lunch break.
Not ranting here, just.........hopeful / wistful? don't know, looking forward to tomorrow, going to have fun, anything else is for the future.
Heres a final thought, peeps are willing to pay more for a senior hair stylist because they get a better cut that takes less time, so maybe this is our chance to show that we are better and quicker, which is worth more, and we are going to let the client have this service for the same........

sassy i agree with what you say hun but i think the NSS will get hold of them if they want to, there are always ways of getting hold of a product- CND products are already sold in MASS on ebay and eventually popits will be too - its a sad world in that sense but its bound to happen :rolleyes::mad:

sassy i agree with what you say hun but i think the NSS will get hold of them if they want to, there are always ways of getting hold of a product- CND products are already sold in MASS on ebay and eventually popits will be too - its a sad world in that sense but its bound to happen :rolleyes::mad:
The majority of NSS don't have brush skills and that's why they use their e-files so much.
They can't create beautiful enhancements with their brushes, hence they won't be able to use Popits as they're intended to be used... I honestly don't think the NSS will be in the picture for much longer if technicians who have the right skills are now able to produce beautiful nails in a lesser time frame.

Latest posts

Back