PopIts - Using clear tubes with UV Gel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks all!

Ok, had another go this morning.. with my tubes.
Tried shortening a couple, but this made it difficult to manouver them with only one hand. Longer is easier to manipulate with one hand while holding poppit in place with the other.
Tried a slightly tighter tube and the client (aka friend aka guineapig LOL) said it wasn't uncomfortable at all. Nice and snug and pressure was maintained.

And guess what? NO BUBBLES THIS MORNING!
Although, the shape wasn't perfect, and one had 'slid' down the nail a bit...
Another wasn't quite flush at the end, and the end a bit thick...
I had too much gel before, and was applying too much pressure thereby causing it to 'pop' back up again making the bubble.

So, I'm adjusting my quantity of gel and OMG the money I will save on not filing excess gel off when I've put too much:eek:
I've always been in the habit, put more than I think cause it's easier to file off, than to add on later. Which has made it tricky for me to get the right sized 'blob' to put in the poppit.. but I'm on the right track:D

I'll keep an eye open for "clear" butterfly clips, but have only ever seen opaque coloured ones around here.

I'll give it a few more cracks this way, and then if all goes well, shoot an itsy bitsy vid for anyone wanting to see how I manage it.

I'll also try the rubber-band thingies too, and see how that goes. Trying to figure that one in my head, how to slip one over, while maintaining gentle pressure without dislodging the poppit?:| Could be a tricky feat.

Will keep you posted on my experiments:D
Thanks again everyone
:hug:

The one Geeg used was clear if I remember correctly, am sure Claire's Accessories came into it too.
That's right, they were the tiny ones that you can put in toddlers hair, they were clear and they were definitely from claire's accessories, they came on a card with other colours on there too but only the clear ones was used, if i see any more on the rare chance i get to go shopping i will get you some Victoria and post them to you hun

Thanks all!

And guess what? NO BUBBLES THIS MORNING!
Although, the shape wasn't perfect, and one had 'slid' down the nail a bit...
Another wasn't quite flush at the end, and the end a bit thick...
I had too much gel before, and was applying too much pressure thereby causing it to 'pop' back up again making the bubble.

So, I'm adjusting my quantity of gel and OMG the money I will save on not filing excess gel off when I've put too much:eek:
I've always been in the habit, put more than I think cause it's easier to file off, than to add on later. Which has made it tricky for me to get the right sized 'blob' to put in the poppit.. but I'm on the right track:D

I'll keep an eye open for "clear" butterfly clips, but have only ever seen opaque coloured ones around here.

I'll give it a few more cracks this way, and then if all goes well, shoot an itsy bitsy vid for anyone wanting to see how I manage it.

******fantastic progress victoria, you are so tenacious:D**************

That's right, they were the tiny ones that you can put in toddlers hair, they were clear and they were definitely from claire's accessories, they came on a card with other colours on there too but only the clear ones was used, if i see any more on the rare chance i get to go shopping i will get you some Victoria and post them to you hun

well that wasnt bad then me suggesting them...and i knew nothing about what geeg demoed as i couldnt go to leeds, lol!!!!
i have tried to attach a pic.
xx

Attachments

• 116.jpg
    116.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 161
Thanks Sian!

I have some of those (that I set aside cause they snagged in my kids hair, HATE THEM lol).
I have a 'rebalance' to do on my original guinea-pig/model/friend on whom I did the poppit method for a full set, I'll be doing that tomorrow.
I'll try a few more with my tubes and some with those rubber band thingies and let you know how I get on.

Thanks for your comments everyone

This could be a solution, I bought these quite some time ago. They apply very little pressure (so no squishing), they can be used from both ends (one small, one large).

They were originally designed to protect nail art from being damaged while drying.

For use with Popits and gel, you would just use them sideways.

They were 1cent for 10 (plus postage).
I remember peeps thinking me mad when I bought them.

Hard to explain, so here's the video NAILZOO Nail Clips

and some links
T162 10PCS NAIL COVER CLIPPER NAIL ART TIPS - eBay, Nail Tips, Nail Care, Beauty, Health. (end time 04-Jan-08 15:00:00 AEDST)

T162 10PCS NAIL COVER CLIPPER NAIL ART TIPS - eBay, Nail Art, Nails Manicure Pedicure, Health Beauty. (end time 04-Jan-08 20:00:00 AEDST)

Last edited:
Ahh yes, I have some of those. Sent to me as samples, to protect nails from smudging or some such.
But they're opaque and the light won't get all the way through, so would have to 'double cure' so to speak.
I'll give it a shot, and see what happens.

Interesting idea though.

Hey Victoria i have a bit of an idea too :idea: Lol x
I have just tried it on my finger and it does work but i think you need to give it a go with popIts
its one of those flat clear bra straps you can buy , you use the looped part and you can change the tension pretty easily with one hand :lol: obviously you would have to cut them

I can send you a set to have a go if you want to pm me :hug: x
as they seem fine to work with one hand keeping on the pressure on the poppit and you can move the strap tension with a finger and thumb underneath the finger till you get the required tension to let go of the top , honestly there does seem to be something there that you could tweak about with :hug: x

Last edited:
Tried a couple more poppits last night....
it's coming along.

Neither one had bubbles!!!!!... so that part is getting better.:green:
but one slid down a smidgeonwhen I put the tube on, and I didn't realize so had to fill in the space after
The other was too thick at the end.

BUT NO BUBBLES.

I'm figuring it out.
it's tricky... but...

Anyway, as soon as I get it sorted, will post vid and pics so others can learn from my experiments.

Im really lost on this thread cant understand what its all about sorry lol having a bad day x

all i can say is wow

Victoria you have so much perseverance

you go girl

Hi

I'm waiting for my Popits to arrive and as I use Gel I have in the meantime been researching things to hold the popits in place whilst curing. Could anyone tell me if they think these items on Ebay would work.

NEW 10PCS NAIL COVER CLIPPER FOR TIPS POLISH PROTECTOR on eBay, also, Nail Art, Nails Manicure Pedicure, Health Beauty (end time 12-Jan-08 07:41:38 GMT)

Someone said that whatever you use can't be too tight or too loose and I know that these aren't as I did buy some to protect my nail polish whilst it was drying.

Thanks

Lesley

Hi

I'm waiting for my Popits to arrive and as I use Gel I have in the meantime been researching things to hold the popits in place whilst curing. Could anyone tell me if they think these items on Ebay would work.

NEW 10PCS NAIL COVER CLIPPER FOR TIPS POLISH PROTECTOR on eBay, also, Nail Art, Nails Manicure Pedicure, Health Beauty (end time 12-Jan-08 07:41:38 GMT)

Someone said that whatever you use can't be too tight or too loose and I know that these aren't as I did buy some to protect my nail polish whilst it was drying.

Thanks

Lesley

These have been suggested before but I dint think they have been tried. The concern was with them is that they are not clear and people wondered if that would affect the cure.

As I suggested earlier, they are practically see through, I'd imagine they would hold it in place for majority of curing, seems to be enough faffing with application to allow for a decent cure even if you removed it halfway through.

Victoria says she has some of these clips, but she seems intent on this tube thing for the moment. Can someone else try them? Seems to be quite a bit of frustration and very few answers.

How come there are no answers to this question from the popit pros ?

What happened to the popits, there was so much hype, now everything seems to have gone quiet?

Last edited:
What happened to the popits, there was so much hype, now everything seems to have gone quiet?

Maybe they're not quite the the answer to all nail problems that people hoped they would be......???

Victoria says she has some of these clips, but she seems intent on this tube thing for the moment. Can someone else try them? Seems to be quite a bit of frustration and very few answers.

Sorry, forgot to mention.
Tried it... didn't hold enough pressure.
Either client's finger was too small or what, I dont know, but it lifted right back up.

Maybe they're not quite the the answer to all nail problems that people hoped they would be......???

I cant speak for every one else but I never thought they would be an answer as I didn't have a problem but they are an alternative. They are just there now, part of my box of goodies that I use as and when.

Had another try tonight with the pink clip as suggested by nailzoo.
Worked great!
So, I guess the other client's fingers were too tiny maybe?
No bubble, no sliding.. it was super easy and turned out PERFECT!!!!

Off to order more of these clips :green:

THANKS CARL:!::!::!::!::!:

Had another try tonight with the pink clip as suggested by nailzoo.
Worked great!
So, I guess the other client's fingers were too tiny maybe?
No bubble, no sliding.. it was super easy and turned out PERFECT!!!!

Off to order more of these clips :green:

THANKS CARL:!::!::!::!::!:

Could you post a pic please I have tried allsorts to hold them on and they still dont look right so for now I have given up on them :irked:

Latest posts

Back