PopIts - Using clear tubes with UV Gel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
Hi!

Here's my experiment with the clear tubes that have been discussed. I've only had time to try it but once, and haven't worked out the kinks yet, but I think the idea is sound. (I think my biggest problem is the quantity of gel I put in the popit... haven't gotten that 'down' yet).

This is a new set that was done. Of 10 fingers, only one did NOT have a bubble :cry::irked:

But here's the pictures of the tubes for those that don't understand.

The tubing was purchased at the hardware store, in the plumbing department. They have yards and yards of it on giant spools, and you pay per foot. The price was according to the size of the tube/hose, from 0.17c to 0.30 per foot. I chose 5 sizes, trying them out on my own fingers and 'guessing' that for those with bigger than mine, I might need bigger hose and bought accordingly. My entire purchase after taxes was under $3.00.

IMG_2738.jpg

IMG_27402.jpg

I tried "sculpting" a french, without using tips
IMG_27432.jpg

BUT it made a bit of a mess, for the excess that squeezed out and ended up under the nail, so to speak. Will have to work on this idea a bit.
The tubes were also cut lenghtwise, so they could be fit over the finger and not slid on, like a sleeve. The 'slit' is under the finger running the length of the tube. BUT you can see it here on the pinky.
You can also note that on the middle finger, I didn't place it right, and the poppit slid down the nail a bit.

IMG_27522.jpg

As you can see, there's bubbles AND a bit of seepage at the side... I goofed on the quantity of gel that I needed.

But anyway, here's the experiment. Just thought I'd share. I hope it helps in some way. I'm still working on it. I think the idea is sound.. just need to sort out the kinks.

Victoriia, these are wonderful compared to my first set of gel trying popits! Mine had more peaks and troughs than the Himalaya's!

Hi Vicotria,

Thank you for sharing this. I have not tried popits very much, as I can't stand the "ridge" at the cuticle area, but when I tried them with gel, it seams like it was only luck which made them good. Sometimes it failed, sometimes I managed to do them without the bubbles you pointed out and without the gel "seaping" out. And in the end, I ended up finish-filing them all....:) It took me longer than doing it the trad. way....:)

C.

Hiya Victoria I think you have tried really hard to make these popIts work with the gel ,
but for all the work and time and effort you have put in
I think that your own hand made gel nails are probably a lot easier for you to do and from what I have seen they are beautiful anyway ,
especially the bridal ones :hug: x what about just using the L&p with your popIts ?

Ps I shall keep my fingers crossed for you though ,
I really hope you find something that you wont get bubbles with x

Last edited:
Well done Victoria, that is a great idea to use the tubing to hold the popits in place and i am sure once you have had a bit more practice you will have it nailed so to speak :hug:

Hiya Victoria I think you have tried really hard to make these popIts work with the gel ,
but for all the work and time and effort you have put in
I think that your own hand made gel nails are probably a lot easier for you to do and from what I have seen they are beautiful anyway ,
especially the bridal ones :hug: x what about just using the L&p with your popIts ?

Ps I shall keep my fingers crossed for you though ,
I really hope you find something that you wont get bubbles with x

Well, apparently Geeg has had success with butterfly clips. Butterfly clips didn't work for me. Maybe they're bigger here? I dont know.
In any case, it CAN be done with gel.
I'm having growing pains, and am in the experimentation process. I am DETERMINED to figure this out and make it work for gels to save me time just as it does with L&P.

As for doing with L&P... not an option, I'm not trained in L&P and while I do intend to get my L&P diploma, my mainstay will be gels as I don't want 'stink' in my house (I work from home). My main reason for leaning L&P is to be able to offer an alternative for those whom gel doesn't work AND to add the 3D acrylic art to my services.

I know if I bang my head hard enough, I WILL figure this out.:green:

Well done Victoria, you're really tried so hard with the popits, even from the first step of laying your hands on them!
I wonder if the tubing needs to be so long? Perhaps if it was shorter it might be easier to manage? But maybe you need that length to give even pressure where you need it?

What about using a shorter length, but going a size smaller in diameter to allow them to be easier to manage, but give a little more pressure to the popit to compensate for the decrease in pressure caused by using a shorter tube?

Hope you understand my ramblings! LOL
Marion x

Thanks Marion!

Yup, that was one of my thoughts too, shortening the tubes:wink2:
Shall keep you posted

:hug:

PS: smaller in diameter wouldn't work, because then the pressure would be too much and the comfort of the client would be questionable. We don't want to pinch their fingers, do we? lol

Last edited:
great to see your updates victoria.

no one could say youre not a tryer!
10/10 for effort, and i hope it comes good in the end.

Its great you've tried the idea out and I do think with some time it would work, I think shorter lengths would work better too, just in terms of them being easier to get on a clients finger. I saw Geeg demo a gel nail with the little clip and it worked a charm, was a very petit clip like you see in a childs hair. The end result was beautiful.

Your own nails look lovely in your pics! :hug:

I have been playing over the xmas break with my popits and gel :rolleyes:I have tried holding them in place with clips, cellotape and even cable ties but everysingle one ends up with air bubbles. I have used them with l&p and had fab results but gel just isnt working with them for me.

i do not use gel but as yet but i was wondering if you could use clear rubber bands. I get these really small but streachy ones from a shop called claires accessories (those abroad will prob not know it, but you must have something similar) i get them for my little girls hair as they dont fall out or damage her hair....could you not put 2 on each nail...above and below the apex to hold the form in place while under the lamp, you could only use them once as once strached they dont go back.
if i am talking rubbish then ignore me, just trying to think of an easy way for you
xx
i will try and get a pic

Well, apparently Geeg has had success with butterfly clips. Butterfly clips didn't work for me. Maybe they're bigger here? I dont know.
In any case, it CAN be done with gel.
I'm having growing pains, and am in the experimentation process. I am DETERMINED to figure this out and make it work for gels to save me time just as it does with L&P.

As for doing with L&P... not an option, I'm not trained in L&P and while I do intend to get my L&P diploma, my mainstay will be gels as I don't want 'stink' in my house (I work from home). My main reason for leaning L&P is to be able to offer an alternative for those whom gel doesn't work AND to add the 3D acrylic art to my services.

I know if I bang my head hard enough, I WILL figure this out.:green:

Hi Victoria I know you will eventually figure something out :hug: x
and as I walk around the big stores and the hairdressing wholesalers I'm always keeping a beady eye out for something that may help you to solve this problem ,
I see now why this is important to you ,
as for some reason I thought you did L&P too (sorry) :hug: x

They say that necessity's is the mother of all inventions ,
and its usually the simple inventions that are the best .

I must admit L&P does stink the house out though LOL x
I think I must be the only one who actually loves the smell of monomer :hug: x

i do not use gel but as yet but i was wondering if you could use clear rubber bands. I get these really small but streachy ones from a shop called claires accessories (those abroad will prob not know it, but you must have something similar) i get them for my little girls hair as they dont fall out or damage her hair....could you not put 2 on each nail...above and below the apex to hold the form in place while under the lamp, you could only use them once as once strached they dont go back.
if i am talking rubbish then ignore me, just trying to think of an easy way for you
xx
i will try and get a pic

Hey yes I know the ones that you mean they sound like a good idea :hug:

xx
i will try and get a pic

I know the ones you mean.
The idea is interesting... but a couple of problems come to mind:
Clients who are sensitive and might not like the bands being tight IF they have chubby fingers...
And I have this vision of the rubber band 'rolling' down the poppit over the arch?
Something worth trying.
I do have regular/coloured children's rubber bands. Shall give them a whirl and see what happens.

The tubes were actually no more difficult than putting on a clip, at least I didn't find so. I think I might not have had them low enough down on the finger either....
I have about 6 different sizes of clips.. and none have worked either.. all too big OR too small.:grr:
IF/When I find the right size that works, I will buy DOZENS of the darn things
HAHAHAHAHA:lol:

Over the next week or so, things around here should slow down enough that I can experiment a bit more.
I'll post pics of my rebalance from the one who I did a full set on..
HOPEFULLY no bubbles this time:rolleyes:

thanks for the encouragment ladies
xoxo

Hi could you ask Geeg where she got hers from ? if it was over in the UK we could send you some over ,
or we can all have a look around for them if we had a picture to go by and know what to look for ,
then you will be inundated with butterfly clips LOL x

Just out of curiosity were the ones Geeg used a clear type ?

Thanks Marion!

Yup, that was one of my thoughts too, shortening the tubes:wink2:
Shall keep you posted

:hug:

PS: smaller in diameter wouldn't work, because then the pressure would be too much and the comfort of the client would be questionable. We don't want to pinch their fingers, do we? lol

I was thinking that if you make them shorter, then they would probably be a bit more flexible and so may not be as tight as before when they had the longer length.
If this is the case, then going dow a size would give the slightly increased pressure that you may need to bring it back to the pressure equivalent to the longer length.
I was thinking you might actually be able to use a length of only 3/4 of an inch?
Hey! An idea has just occurred to me! What about some kind of plastic like the tubing, but maybe looser, but with stick on velcro attached to the back where the slit is. This would allow you to roll it over the finger, but use the velcro to tighten it to the desired pressure? This would then mean you could adjust it exactly for each client to give the optimum pressure.
Just some more of my ramblings! LOL But maybe might work?
Marion x

Hi could you ask Geeg where she got hers from ? if it was over in the UK we could send you some over ,
or we can all have a look around for them if we had a picture to go by and know what to look for ,
then you will be inundated with butterfly clips LOL x

Just out of curiosity were the ones Geeg used a clear type ?

The one Geeg used was clear if I remember correctly, am sure Claire's Accessories came into it too.

I know the ones you mean.
The idea is interesting... but a couple of problems come to mind:
Clients who are sensitive and might not like the bands being tight IF they have chubby fingers...
And I have this vision of the rubber band 'rolling' down the poppit over the arch?
Something worth trying.
I do have regular/coloured children's rubber bands. Shall give them a whirl and see what happens.

The tubes were actually no more difficult than putting on a clip, at least I didn't find so. I think I might not have had them low enough down on the finger either....
I have about 6 different sizes of clips.. and none have worked either.. all too big OR too small.:grr:
IF/When I find the right size that works, I will buy DOZENS of the darn things
HAHAHAHAHA:lol:

Over the next week or so, things around here should slow down enough that I can experiment a bit more.
I'll post pics of my rebalance from the one who I did a full set on..
HOPEFULLY no bubbles this time:rolleyes:

thanks for the encouragment ladies
xoxo

i dont think that they would roll off as such as the ones i have are actually flat. i'm not sure what they are made from but when they are streached they adjust to the thickness of the hair whether it be fine of thick so i do not think it would be too uncomfortable....ive had them round my wrist for instance and not noticed. i will try and post a photo at some point.

thank you victoria for sharing....angel fingers is right 10/10 for effort...

thats what we luv about ya hun...you never give up and i know you wont until you find a solution .....your a fighter !!! xx

Latest posts

Back