PopIts with gel?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waffle4

Reaction score
Hi all, I've done a search on here but can't find what I'm looking for so wondered if anyone could help. I'm interested in using popits with gel and wondered if anyone has a step by step written/video tutorial they could reccommend. I watched 1 on you tube but it didn't clearly explain the different steps. I'm really confused as to how the cured gel in the popit eventually sticks onto the natural nail??. Do you prep the natural nail as usual and apply bonder gel (on the natural nail) then stick the cured popit nail on somehow? Also, for French do you use sculpting gel?? Are you able to swipe out the smile line inside the popit? How do you build the apex inside the popit?. Finally (phew!) does anyone use this technique regularly and how long does a set last as opposed to a regular way? I'm thinking doing a French popit set on myself might really help me coz I'm soooo slow (and naff!) when having to use my non dominant hand.

Sorry for all the q's and I hope there's a gel popit expert out there who
can help me!

Thanks everyone :hug: xx

Nailnana on youtube has a good tut for this.
As far as your questions, let's see:
-you don't cure the gel in the popit until it is applied to the nail
-you do prep the nail as usual, fill the popit, apply it to the nail then cure
-you can use either white sculpting gel or just paint it on as normal (paint on is easier)
-yes you can swipe the smile line in the popit and cure it then put the rest of the gel and apply it to the nail before curing.
-the shape of the popit is what builds the apex of the nail as long as you put enough gel in it and do not press it down too hard.
-I don't use it a whole lot, but I do use it regularly on two particular clients. And it seems to last just as long as it would had I sculpted.
HTH!

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I looked at that video on you tube but it was too quick to see what she was doing! If you need to extend the free edge though do you still use paint on white gel?. When you turn the popit over with the uncured gel to put on the nail doesn't the gel move a bit? Do you draw on the outside of the popit (with eyeliner?!) a mark so you know where to place the smile lines??

Are the popits reusable and can this technique also be used with soak off gel or only hard gel?

I'm really confused with this and could really do with a basic step by step. Any further advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks for your help xxx

Last edited:
You might want to check her site-- especiallynails.com or nailpopitusa.com for better videos. I know that she also has some on nailtechconnect.com
I do use and wax pencil or eyeliner pencil to mark the smile line at times.
You can safely get 3-4 uses out of the forms.
When I use a POW, I fill the popit with clear gel--it would be just like sculpting the nail with clear and then using POW to create the white free edge.
The gel actually creates kind of a "suction" when you put it on the nail to keep it in place and if you place the popit on the nail in front of your lamp while it is on--that should create enough of a cure to lock it in place until you get the other fingers done.
You should be sizing all of the popits, getting them marked for lines and laying them down in order.
cleansing and preping the nail plate
applying the paint on white and curing
fill popit with clear or transluscent pink in one popit at a time
place popit on nail and push gently into place
clean up any gel that squished out
hold it in front of lamp with popit held in place gently for about 7-19 seconds
move on to next nail
when all five nails are covered you can do a full cure
gently rock popits side to side from the f/e to loosen till they come off
there may be light finish filing on sides and free edge.
done.

When I use a POW, I fill the popit with clear gel- (UP TO OR BEYOND THE SMILE LINE? AND DON'T CURE YET?)-it would be just like sculpting the nail with clear and then using POW to create the white free edge.

applying the paint on white and curing (CURE THE WHITE SMILE LINE IN THE POPIT AND BEFORE PLACING THE POPIT ON THE NAIL?)

(my queries haven't shown up in a different colour! they are in capital letters/brackets)

So sorry to keep harping on about this! I will also take a look at the sites you have reccommended.
Thankyou so much for all your help:hug: xx

Hi all, I've done a search on here but can't find what I'm looking for so wondered if anyone could help. I'm interested in using popits with gel and wondered if anyone has a step by step written/video tutorial they could reccommend. I watched 1 on you tube but it didn't clearly explain the different steps. I'm really confused as to how the cured gel in the popit eventually sticks onto the natural nail??. Do you prep the natural nail as usual and apply bonder gel (on the natural nail) then stick the cured popit nail on somehow? Also, for French do you use sculpting gel?? Are you able to swipe out the smile line inside the popit? How do you build the apex inside the popit?. Finally (phew!) does anyone use this technique regularly and how long does a set last as opposed to a regular way? I'm thinking doing a French popit set on myself might really help me coz I'm soooo slow (and naff!) when having to use my non dominant hand.

Sorry for all the q's and I hope there's a gel popit expert out there who
can help me!

Thanks everyone :hug: xx

How far did you search lol

Here on the site we have tutorials for most things (in the section called tutorials) and here is the one I wrote for PopIts with gel. Enjoy.

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/63471-step-step-using-gel-popits.html

Hi, I've read the tutorial and it is a huge help, but I just have a couple of more queries. Firstly, the tutorial tells you to sculpt your french white free edge on the nail BEFORE progressing to using the popits with sheer or clear pink gel. I was under the impression that you could apply BOTH the pink and white inside the popit - have I got the wrong end of the stick???

Would you need to cure the white INSIDE the popit first?

Lastly, can popits be used with soak off gel also? (not gel polish)

Thankyou xxxx

Hi, I've read the tutorial and it is a huge help, but I just have a couple of more queries. Firstly, the tutorial tells you to sculpt your french white free edge on the nail BEFORE progressing to using the popits with sheer or clear pink gel. I was under the impression that you could apply BOTH the pink and white inside the popit - have I got the wrong end of the stick???

Would you need to cure the white INSIDE the popit first?

Lastly, can popits be used with soak off gel also? (not gel polish)

Thankyou xxxx
All I can say, is experiment if you like.

There is no right or wrong. I personally find it much quicker and more efficient to sculpt or apply white tips in the normal way and then use the PopIt for a one colour gel overlay. I think if you apply the white gel in the PopIt first along with the pink or clear then it will distort the smile line when you apply it to the nail.

Experiment with it. That is how we innovate new ideas. As long as what you do is not dangerous or painful then that is fine.

Thanks Geeg I'll do some experiments with it xx

Latest posts

Back