PopIts!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
Hey!!

WHOOHOOOOOO

got poppits in the mail today.....

I'm doing the most insane happy dance, ya ever did see!

And if you could have seen me viciously fighting with bubblewrap and tape to get my greedy mitts on them... you would have laughed uproarously:lol::lol::lol:

I can NOT wait to try them out!!!!

(very special thanks to a special geek for sending them out to me:green::hug::Love:)

I'm sooooo impatient, and NOW I have to head out the door and fetch my eldest from school, which puts off my expermentation by an hour or two
:cry:

shall keep you posted!!

:green:

Hi Victoria Sounds fab, I'm hoping I get mine as a Christmas present , let us know how you go on ?
and don't forget the pics ,:hug: xxxx

are you going to use them with gel victoria, or will you be having a try with l/p ?

I'm going to do them with uv gel.
I havent had my course in L&P yet, and though I've tried it once or twice.. the mix ratio was abysmal... and an utter complete mess...

I'll keep you posted.

I'm SO EXCITED:!::green:

:)

O.K. Victoria!!

I have still not received my Popits!!!:cry::cry:

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....... Please hurry and do a set or just one nail and let us see!!!

I am getting really impatient in waiting for mine..
I phoned Florida yesterday and I was told that they had been shipped out.. But I sure have not seen them yet!!

Probably sitting at Customs gathering dust!!!

Janet:irked:

I will be using mine with gel too (when they arrive:eek:). Is everyone planning to apply your smile line on the nail and just use the poppit to do the clear layer? I am not clear on how it works with gel. :confused:

OH MY:eek:

My first and only effort so far was two nails on a client who's also a friend I've known over 10yrs. Everyone is under pressure with the xmas holidays, so not much in the mind for taking a chance that their appointment might run longer with an experiment:confused:

One was a clear overlay.
The other was a french sculpt, so to speak.

While the end result WAS a lovely curve and a FANTASTIC finish...
two glitches..
- I overfilled the poppits, so they were too bulky :o WHOOPS:!:
- 2 bubbles appeared, one in each.

I "think" the cause of the bubbles is because of the butterfly clips not being tight enough? When she rested her hand in the lamp, the claws rested on the 'floor' of the lamp, right? So pressure was on the underside, and not on the top.
So, while at first, there was pressure, and NO BUBBLES (trust me, I CHECKED), when the pressure was removed from the top, I guess the 'poppit' pulled away and caused the air bubble.

Next time I will use scotch tape.

BUT I am on the hunt for clear/see-thru hose to snip and use like sleeves for consistent pressure?

I shall keep you posted!

I "may" experiment on myself this weekend, but I find if I goof on something on myself, it's that much harder to correct, than on someone else.:irked:

BUT THE CURVE AND SHINE/FINISH were beautiful!!
CAN'T WAIT to master this!!!!

OH MY:eek:

My first and only effort so far was two nails on a client who's also a friend I've known over 10yrs. Everyone is under pressure with the xmas holidays, so not much in the mind for taking a chance that their appointment might run longer with an experiment:confused:

One was a clear overlay.
The other was a french sculpt, so to speak.

While the end result WAS a lovely curve and a FANTASTIC finish...
two glitches..
- I overfilled the poppits, so they were too bulky :o WHOOPS:!:
- 2 bubbles appeared, one in each.

I "think" the cause of the bubbles is because of the butterfly clips not being tight enough? When she rested her hand in the lamp, the claws rested on the 'floor' of the lamp, right? So pressure was on the underside, and not on the top.
So, while at first, there was pressure, and NO BUBBLES (trust me, I CHECKED), when the pressure was removed from the top, I guess the 'poppit' pulled away and caused the air bubble.

Next time I will use scotch tape.

BUT I am on the hunt for clear/see-thru hose to snip and use like sleeves for consistent pressure?

I shall keep you posted!

I "may" experiment on myself this weekend, but I find if I goof on something on myself, it's that much harder to correct, than on someone else.:irked:

BUT THE CURVE AND SHINE/FINISH were beautiful!!
CAN'T WAIT to master this!!!!

Could you expand a bit on the use of 'butterfly clips'? I am totally unsure of how to approach this with gel (not that I have my popits yet).

I also don't understand what you mean about clear hose and using scotch tape? Can't seem to get my mind around all of this.

...and for your french sculpt, did you apply both your white and clear gels at once to the form?

Sorry for being thick!

Butterfly clips aka 'jaw clips' are these, but the miniature variety for children's hair:
81126.JPG

Scotch tape to wrap around the finger to hold the poppit in place
OR
A piece of clear hose/tubing, cut about 1" long and then slit lenghtwise to make a sleeve? To wrap around and hold the poppit in place, but let the light through?

I'll hit the hardware later, to see if I can't find some clear hose/tubing and if I do, I'll take pictures to show you what I mean.

For the white, I put it in the poppit, did my smile line and then flashed it, then added the clear and put it on the nail.
I havent worked out the kinks yet...
Will keep trying

Just had a thought, to explain the hose theory...

Have you ever seen those rubber ummm 'grippers' for putting on hair barrettes?
They're rubber tubes with a slit lenghtwise to slide over the 'clamp' of the hair barrette/clip for those with thin hair to keep the barrette from sliding down? Usually in black or brown colour.

don't know if this helps... been looking online to find a pic and can't:irked:

hi victoria,
I think I understand what you mean about the hose bit ,I got my poppits last week and have tried cutting the tubing that your gel brush would come in and then put slit down middle so you can put it over any size nail only prob I had was it seems to slide off and move the poppit with it if you can understand my explanation,I am finding them hard to master but practice makes perfect my biggest problem is some stay on without any clips or anything but more just lift on me straight away which I think is from me applying too much pressure,another prob I have is bubbles in my gel which I never get normally!Now that I understand the type of butterfly clip I can give that a go and see how I get on

I do understand exactly what you mean, it was well explained :wink2:
I'm thinking rubber tubing/hose would be 'firmer' and more likely to stay in place, than a flimsy piece of plastic? Just an idea.

I just tried two more on another client... with scotch tape
Same problems.. they dont stay 'down' after I've pressed and they try to pop up, causing an air bubble to be there right before the eponychium, that wasn't there before:irked:

I'm thinking too much gel? But I put way less than the first two AND when I was pressing down, it took quite a bit of pressure to get it to travel down to the end of the free edge...

I'll keep playing and keep you posted on my efforts.
Nothing picture worthy yet...just a mess :lol:

I just read again, the tut on the gel application with poppits.
PART of my problem is how I put my gel. I didn't put it in the right place
:grr::smack:

But getting that thick goopy stuff to go where you want sometimes.. LOL easier said than done :lol:

Shall have another crack at it laters:hug:

I just read again, the tut on the gel application with poppits.
PART of my problem is how I put my gel. I didn't put it in the right place
:grr::smack:

But getting that thick goopy stuff to go where you want sometimes.. LOL easier said than done :lol:

Shall have another crack at it laters:hug:

if you cant get your tubing at the hardware store, you might get some at a pet shop. they sell it for aquariums.

Butterfly clips aka 'jaw clips' are these, but the miniature variety for children's hair:
OR
A piece of clear hose/tubing, cut about 1" long and then slit lenghtwise to make a sleeve? To wrap around and hold the poppit in place, but let the light through?

I'll hit the hardware later, to see if I can't find some clear hose/tubing and if I do, I'll take pictures to show you what I mean.

For the white, I put it in the poppit, did my smile line and then flashed it, then added the clear and put it on the nail.
Will keep trying

Thanks Victoria. It's all becoming much clearer. Lucky me, I get to benefit from your experimentation while I wait for mine to arrive.:)

Come on!!:Grope:

I am getting impatient for my popits to arrive!!!
It has been over two weeks!!:eek:

Victoria.. Show us some pictures " Please"

:hug:
Janet

81126.JPG

OR

Will keep trying
hi....
i have absolutly no clue as to how gel works, is this just something that you do with gel....i have had a go with my poppits yesterday (WOW, by the way:eek:) and found that the l+p held the poppit on by itself and to get it off i litterally had to pinch it off to remove it.....it didnt fall off easily.
please dont take my question the wrong way...i'm just interested as i want to learn gel in the future,:hug:

I think the reason the popit neads the clamp wth gel is because with L&P you can apply pressure with your thumb while it 'sets' but with gel that wont happen until its in the light unit so the pressure needs to be on while its in there. Cant put it in there with a finger on it.

Hi everyone,

I have recently discovered im's. Iverted moulds at easynail.co.uk
Check it out! They have ben around for over ten years. And they have all this technical support, you tube, etc.
I think you might get some help with your poppit application if you chek it out.You might even want to switch to im's.

good Luck,
Tess

Hi everyone,

I have recently discovered im's. Iverted moulds at easynail.co.uk
Check it out! They have ben around for over ten years. And they have all this technical support, you tube, etc.
I think you might get some help with your poppit application if you chek it out.You might even want to switch to im's.

good Luck,
Tess

IM's don't have the flexible 'lip' to avoid over-exposure from seepage..
No thanks, since my client's health/safety is a PRIORITY at my table, but thanks for the input.

RE: pictures
My efforts have been so abysmal, I'm too emabarassed to post them.
BUT I will try some more this week.
Did my own refill last night (EEKS.. What a mess LOL).. had same problems of bubbles on ALL but 1 singular nail :cry:BUT that one, the free edge too thick and wasn't pressed down low enough, so had corrections to do on it..

RE: Pet shop/aquarium hoses
THANKS!! that's a GREAT idea.
Shall keep you posted.

As soon as I work out the "ins-n-outs' of this, I'll post pics of all kinds, hopefully helping those that are visual like myself.

I'm not crazy about the butterfly clips for MANY reasons... one being they aren't "clear" and so light can't pass through them.
I think tubing/hose is really the best way to go.

Thanks again for your ideas and support
:hug:

Latest posts

Back