Quantcast

Portable hood dryers

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

Lady Murasaki

Reaction score
Hi geeks

Which is the best brand of portable hood dryers to buy?

I work mobile and do fair bit of retro hair styling that needs one.

Many thanks

Lady M xxxx

Last edited:

rosiegwill

Reaction score
i got a great one on amazon, its babybliss you need to set it on a table but its great.

Lady Murasaki

Reaction score
i got a great one on amazon, its babybliss you need to set it on a table but its great.
Thanks, I've been looking at a babyliss as most of my curlers and wands ar from them and I really like the babyliss brand

How long does it take for the hood dryer to heat up and does it dry the hair quickly , as I worried they wont give off enough heat like a traditional fixed hooded salon dyer and it takes ages for the clients hair to dry.

Last edited:

rosiegwill

Reaction score
its got 2 settings and its nice and wide for the big rollers, it takes about half hour for medium length hair i blast it with the hand dryer first though.

Lady Murasaki

Reaction score
its got 2 settings and its nice and wide for the big rollers, it takes about half hour for medium length hair i blast it with the hand dryer first though.
Sounds just what I'm after!

Buttercup Honey

Reaction score
I was thinking of investing in one too as I am really keen on doing vintage styles.
I've done a few but take ages with tongs and pincurls, thought rollers might be way to go.
If you would be happy to share any tips? Do you do marcel waves?

Lady Murasaki

Reaction score
I was thinking of investing in one too as I am really keen on doing vintage styles.
I've done a few but take ages with tongs and pincurls, thought rollers might be way to go.
If you would be happy to share any tips? Do you do marcel waves?

I do, do Marcels waves :biggrin:

Theres a book by Lauren Rennells which full of hints and tips for vintage hairstyling that I got a few years ago for a B'day present ....its like my bible lol

Lady Murasaki

Reaction score

Buttercup Honey

Reaction score
I do, do Marcels waves :biggrin:

Theres a book by Lauren Rennells which full of hints and tips for vintage hairstyling that I got a few years ago for a B'day present ....its like my bible lol
Funnily enough I got that recently. It's fab:) although you know the section on pivot points for pincurls? Well that bit wrecked my head! Still don't quite get it but I'll plough on anyway:)

Buttercup Honey

Reaction score
Oh and btw fair play to you doing marcel waves:), I find them seriously difficult :(

ClaireJones

Reaction score
Hi Claire

is it very easy to transport and set up and take down?

many thanks

Lady M
It comes apart in 3 sections and one of the foot things comes off so can easily go into a car boot, has 3 settings also x

Lady Murasaki

Reaction score
Oh and btw fair play to you doing marcel waves:), I find them seriously difficult :(

Do not use hair gel I got taught using this and it it didnt work for me.

use setting lotion instead as it gives a better hold and wack'em under a hood dryer,
As ive found most of the vintage styles require a hood dryer to spead up the drying process :biggrin:

I tend to charge a little more for vintage as the prep time is sometime more than other hairstyles

Lady Murasaki

Reaction score
It comes apart in 3 sections and one of the foot things comes off so can easily go into a car boot, has 3 settings also x
Thank you:D

I think I might go for this one as the height is more ajustable than the other Babyliss...

Buttercup Honey

Reaction score
Do not use hair gel I got taught using this and it it didnt work for me.

use setting lotion instead as it gives a better hold and wack'em under a dryer :biggrin:
Great tks for that:)

Reaction score
Hay!

I'm a mobile hairdresser and with all the equipment that's needed I found it all a bit too much to have a solid portable dryer to carry around as well so I use a hood dryer that you simply put over rollers, pull the cord so it doesn't blow away and it blows up like a balloon. It dry's clients hair amazingly! My clients seem to love it and all brides seem to have to have a picture taken with it on😁

Lady Murasaki

Reaction score
Hay!

I'm a mobile hairdresser and with all the equipment that's needed I found it all a bit too much to have a solid portable dryer to carry around as well so I use a hood dryer that you simply put over rollers, pull the cord so it doesn't blow away and it blows up like a balloon. It dry's clients hair amazingly! My clients seem to love it and all brides seem to have to have a picture taken with it on😁
What brand do use?

Reaction score
There not really a branded item but you can get them from amazon for like £8 and mine has lasted a couple of years so far. Just type in hair dryer hood dryer :-D

rosiegwill

Reaction score
i had this attachment for my dryer before i got my portable one i found it burned out my dryer from constant use and people found it got too hot with been so close to the head. thats just my experience with it though!
i think if you use it a lot for rollers you are better investing in a proper hood dryer.

Latest posts